A list of schools for an average applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsfan101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you made a spreadsheet with OOS acceptance, tuition and average mcat accepted for those schools, please post it. It would be best if the applicant is from the east coast. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's wrong with asking? Unlike you, some people may be willing to share this information to help fellow applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's wrong with asking? Unlike you, some people may be willing to share this information to help fellow applicants.

Ignore the troll. Those types are always unwanted even in real life.

What I've been doing (I'm an average applicant myself) is just browsing through topics (2013-2014, 2012-2013) and seeing what schools match my stats. It's annoying but it works. Also check school websites, they have stats posted for matriculants. You can use the MSAR as a baseline but I think the time taken is about the same.

See that was my point. He has to do the work himself. Even with your helpful suggestions the work is still on the OP to develop the list.

Ignore the troll. Those types are always unwanted even in real life.

What I've been doing (I'm an average applicant myself) is just browsing through topics (2013-2014, 2012-2013) and seeing what schools match my stats. It's annoying but it works. Also check school websites, they have stats posted for matriculants. You can use the MSAR as a baseline but I think the time taken is about the same.

Yeah I've been trying to do this but I am thinking I may be missing information and also the threads don't always provide reliable information. MSAR posts data for accepted students, not matriculants, which in my view is more useful.

To provide you with a very specific list of schools I will need a GPA and state of residency. Thanks

Hello,

Can anyone who applied with average stats(MCAT 30-32 approx., GPA doesn't matter ) and average ECs and who is not a URM give me a list of what school he/she applied to? If you made a spreadsheet with OOS acceptance, tuition and average mcat accepted for those schools, please post it. It would be best if the applicant is from the east coast. Thanks.

Check out my MDApps for a list of schools. I have a slightly below average MCAT score (30) with a higher than average GPA (3.8)

My state of residency is NY, but I don't need help with NY schools. GPA is 3.8+, though I think the mcat should serve as point of reference.

What I did was first go through the MSAR and find schools where my stats fit in their 10-90 percentile GPA range. and where my MCAT was approz average. Then I looked at instate vs out of state acceptance rates. Then I tried to find like 5 schools where my stats were in the 10-30 percentile range and 5 where they were in the 70-90 percentile range. And then I looked at their recommendations to see if I meet them and then other selection factors to see if I like the school or not.

It took me like an entire day to go through it the first round. I went through it again and added another like 5 schools cause I thought my list was too top heavy.

Anyway I kind of agree that you should be looking yourself but like it is kind of overwhelming as well! :)

Good Luck!

Using a 31 MCAT score with cGPA of 3.8 and sGPA of 3.5

High Chance:
Howard
Mercer
Morehouse
Hofstra
SC Columbia
Meharry
And all DO schools

If you are lucky:
Arizona Schools
UC Davis
Colorado
Florida State
Temple
Drexel

Recommend all NY state schools, plus low-medium tier MD schools, plus all new MD schools, even Hofstra. 31 is a slight below avg MCAT score, and so puts you at a disadvantage for OOS public schools, and the high tiers. You're fine for any DO program.

Meharry, if I remember correctly, is a historically minority college that will not take me. Same for morehouse. Hofstra is definately a tough school to get into, it's median MCAT is 33! Florida State takes almost no OOS. And isn't UC Davis in Cali? Those are some of the hardest to get into for OOS, that's why there are some many OOS CA applicants. I'll check out the others. Thanks. Anyone else?(also I'm not doing DO) Also my cGPA is nearly same as sGPA.(about 3.8)