A little about me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyttykat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to put my own story out here and say hello! :)
I am 32 and just barely hitting my sophomore year of my undergrad. I keep trying to get through it, but have run into some roadblocks along the way. I started at 18, and my first semester ended up missing finals (at my current CC) because my Father in Law died and we inherited a mess of a situation so I never made it back. Went from A's to a big fat zero. I then attempted again about 4 and a half years ago and was making good progress, but my second marriage fell apart (long story, but not a pretty situation) and had a similar situation happen. At that time I was pursuing pre reqs for an ASN, as my then husband was not at all willing to make the sacrifices medical school would have required.
So here I am now. I have a 2.795 GPA after two quarters, I am normally a straight A student (I have one B+, darn college algebra anyway) except for my mess ups, which total about 13 hours. I have retaken all of the 13 hours except my physical geology class, which I will take with Chem II next quarter, and have A's in all of those. The only pre reqs I have out of the way are Biology (A+) and Stats (A). I have Chem I this quarter. I'm still trying to pick a 4 year to transfer to at this point, mainly because I am still trying to decide on a major. So many things intrigue me, from psychology to biochemistry, and each college offers varied degrees, so I can't decide. I'm lucky to live in a state with so many choices so close.
I am attempting to get some volunteer hours in, especially with the Nebraska Aids Project or with Boys Town... both are places that have special meaning to me in their missions. I have a few physicians I would like to shadow, once we get into 2012. I have also spent the past 10 years in medical billing/customer service/financial counseling for a hospital and a cancer clinic, which I loved because of my patients and their families, but did not love because it wasn't medicine in the true sense (I no longer work, I take care of my SO's kids part time and school full time). I'm still far from the MCAT, but I keep studying with Wikipremed so I don't lose what I already know, and stay a little ahead of the game in my classes. I've also had a lot of experience with family members being ill, which has just made me that much more driven.
So that's me. Any hints you all have discovered or words of advice would be appreciated, but mainly I just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading, I can be a little long winded sometimes.

PS. I'm fine with DO or MD, I just want to stay in the middle of the country, from the northern border to the southern. Preferably here in Nebraska or Texas, or somewhere in between.

Members don't see this ad.

You have plenty of time to get your GPA up. Keep pulling in straight As and you will be fine, best of luck!

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to put my own story out here and say hello! :)
I am 32 and just barely hitting my sophomore year of my undergrad. I keep trying to get through it, but have run into some roadblocks along the way. I started at 18, and my first semester ended up missing finals (at my current CC) because my Father in Law died and we inherited a mess of a situation so I never made it back. Went from A's to a big fat zero. I then attempted again about 4 and a half years ago and was making good progress, but my second marriage fell apart (long story, but not a pretty situation) and had a similar situation happen. At that time I was pursuing pre reqs for an ASN, as my then husband was not at all willing to make the sacrifices medical school would have required.
So here I am now. I have a 2.795 GPA after two quarters, I am normally a straight A student (I have one B+, darn college algebra anyway) except for my mess ups, which total about 13 hours. I have retaken all of the 13 hours except my physical geology class, which I will take with Chem II next quarter, and have A's in all of those. The only pre reqs I have out of the way are Biology (A+) and Stats (A). I have Chem I this quarter. I'm still trying to pick a 4 year to transfer to at this point, mainly because I am still trying to decide on a major. So many things intrigue me, from psychology to biochemistry, and each college offers varied degrees, so I can't decide. I'm lucky to live in a state with so many choices so close.
I am attempting to get some volunteer hours in, especially with the Nebraska Aids Project or with Boys Town... both are places that have special meaning to me in their missions. I have a few physicians I would like to shadow, once we get into 2012. I have also spent the past 10 years in medical billing/customer service/financial counseling for a hospital and a cancer clinic, which I loved because of my patients and their families, but did not love because it wasn't medicine in the true sense (I no longer work, I take care of my SO's kids part time and school full time). I'm still far from the MCAT, but I keep studying with Wikipremed so I don't lose what I already know, and stay a little ahead of the game in my classes. I've also had a lot of experience with family members being ill, which has just made me that much more driven.
So that's me. Any hints you all have discovered or words of advice would be appreciated, but mainly I just wanted to share my story. Thanks for reading, I can be a little long winded sometimes.

PS. I'm fine with DO or MD, I just want to stay in the middle of the country, from the northern border to the southern. Preferably here in Nebraska or Texas, or somewhere in between.

You have time, keep working at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both!
I don't know if the jobs I have had in the past count as clinical time. I had a lot of patient contact, learned a lot about procedures and drugs, but does that count towards that?

Usually billing doesn't count as clinical, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt...

It's valuable experience... I will give it that. I know from the other side of the revenue cycle how difficult it is to be sick and not be able to afford your care. I know what a patient feels like when they get substandard care, (it does happen, usually not intentionally). I learned a lot if compassion doing that job. I also had to learn how to deal with losing patients, as I had a few that I became close with that passed away.
I also think it prepared me well for rotations... PFS is lower on the totem pole than Med Students. ;-)

It's valuable experience... I will give it that. I know from the other side of the revenue cycle how difficult it is to be sick and not be able to afford your care. I know what a patient feels like when they get substandard care, (it does happen, usually not intentionally). I learned a lot if compassion doing that job. I also had to learn how to deal with losing patients, as I had a few that I became close with that passed away.
I also think it prepared me well for rotations... PFS is lower on the totem pole than Med Students. ;-)

That sounds like great experience and you should use that when interviewing for med school, but I'm not sure that it counts as clinical shadowing. Keep working on your GPA and get in your volunteer and shadowing hours, rock the MCAT and you'll do great. You already seem like your on the right track. :luck:

great story and easy to relate to. Seems like your GPA is strong and study skills are also. Keep doing the good work, and try to do some volunteering in a hospital unit setting like the one doctors nurse and other care professionals work in.

Thanks Everyone! 4 years later, and I have moved on to a Research 1 University, got involved in Psychology research, and have moved over to getting a Clinical Psyc PhD. I couldn't see spending 13+ years in school at my age. :)

I'm a 3rd year now, and still happier than I was in biotech. I'm 38 and will be graduating just before 40...