A Little Bit of Humor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackLotus95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
With the stress an application cycle brings, I wanted to share a little bit of humor from this morning. I retook my MCAT and got a score improvement of 7 points after studying again for roughly a month. My first score was just highly unbalanced and I busted my butt to find out what is wrong with my brain and this exam. My advisor suggested sending update emails and I excitedly shared this news with my husband. Side note, like many older folks pursuing medical school, we spent weeks agonizing over budgeting to afford this cycle. Anyway, after the celebration, I tell my husband its time to send like 40 emails considering how many places I applied to. He sighs and very seriously asks me:

"How much does it cost to email them?"

For a second this didn't even compute to me. Then I realized that my spouse believes that medical schools will also charge you money to email them and furthermore, he was fully prepared for me to spend oodles more on just sending emails. Is this how wild this process looks from the outside that it is conceivable we are charged just to talk to adcoms? lol Either way, I told him not to give some of these schools any new ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Heh, he's just getting in the mindset.

It's a bit amazing where money starts flying around after it's all said and done.
USMLEs
Professional society membership and meetings
Yearly MOC fees
ERAS fees/application fees
Other CME fees/courses
Licensing fees
Background check fees/fingerprinting

The list goes on and on.

I just got an email yesterday from my professional society (AAD) reminding me to renew membership (around $800 yearly). I was like "Didn't I just do that like three months ago?"

Reactions: 1 users
Heh, he's just getting in the mindset.

It's a bit amazing where money starts flying around after it's all said and done.
USMLEs
Professional society membership and meetings
Yearly MOC fees
ERAS fees/application fees
Other CME fees/courses
Licensing fees
Background check fees/fingerprinting

The list goes on and on.

I just got an email yesterday from my professional society (AAD) reminding me to renew membership (around $800 yearly). I was like "Didn't I just do that like three months ago?"
Yes, I think this has been good priming for my career change for him. :laugh: My local Identigo actually knows me by name now because I've had to go so many times for background checks either for volunteering, for college programs, for jobs, etc. I am very lucky to have such an understanding partner, but it is also fun to see how he sees things from the outside looking in. I think there is just so much involved in the process that's normalized to us, but a bit strange to explain to others. I have yet to successfully explain what residency match is about without it sounding a bit like a YA novel once you get to the algorithm part.