Just want to vent a bit...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubs1984

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. My school finally got back to me about an evening orgo 1/2 being made available so working adults can get these classes...They said no... Not sure what I'm going to do now... My work has said they won't work with me to let me take any classes during work hours... I guess I could ask again, letting them know I can take all other classes but these 2 outside of work hours or online. Ugh, they make things so hard for non-trads. On the plus side, I got accepted to volunteer with a hospice program, so that's nice.

Thanks for listening :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Why not look at another school? Even if further away, good chunk of classes will still be online.
You can also try community colleges if you haven't already.

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of work do you do? Is there a possibility of transitioning to evening employment? I quit my day-job to return to school and picked up work at restaurants/bars through my post-bacc classes, in addition to operating a small-scale home business. It didn't have a benefits package and I still needed loans to pay for classes, but it got me through. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not look at another school? Even if further away, good chunk of classes will still be online.
You can also try community colleges if you haven't already.
All of my classes can be online except orgo 1 and 2. Taking classes at a 2 year for my prereqs and a 4 year to finish my bachelors atm.
What kind of work do you do? Is there a possibility of transitioning to evening employment? I quit my day-job to return to school and picked up work at restaurants/bars through my post-bacc classes, in addition to operating a small-scale home business. It didn't have a benefits package and I still needed loans to pay for classes, but it got me through. Just a thought.
Software engineer. It's a secure job with high pay and great benefits, but they aren't very flexible about "core hours" unfortunately. I'll figure something out, it just won't be easy...Might have to take 1 half day of vacation 16 weeks in a row for both orgo semesters lol.

All of my classes can be online except orgo 1 and 2. Taking classes at a 2 year for my prereqs and a 4 year to finish my bachelors atm.

Software engineer. It's a secure job with high pay and great benefits, but they aren't very flexible about "core hours" unfortunately. I'll figure something out, it just won't be easy...Might have to take 1 half day of vacation 16 weeks in a row for both orgo semesters lol.
Oh wow yeah I'd be hesitant to meddle with that job, too. Well, as others suggested, maybe find another school, and do check with individual med schools before taking any online courses. Good luck!

Yes, I too had to quit my day job(s) to finish up a few straggling prereqs. But I wasn't a programmer. Had I been making that kind of money, I might have found a way to keep the job. As it was, I made a fairly decent living tutoring and babysitting for cash (odd but flexible hours).

Yes, I too had to quit my day job(s) to finish up a few straggling prereqs. But I wasn't a programmer. Had I been making that kind of money, I might have found a way to keep the job. As it was, I made a fairly decent living tutoring and babysitting for cash (odd but flexible hours).
It would be easy if I was single...I'd honestly just move into a camper van or something and save time/money...but I have a family to support and a mortgage and health costs etc...quitting is not an option.

Sorry about your experience. A flexible job can make or break how easy it is to get premed credits done.

Have you considered looking into University of New England online premed courses? They seem to have organic chemistry, and have a good reputation so far as online premed courses go. When I applied admissions committees were still not sold on online learning but I am sure COVID has altered those perceptions. And the UNE courses are, as I understand it, designed specifically to fulfill premed requirements.

Maybe see how adcoms would receive it?

Had planned to take their biochemistry course during my application year but started getting interviews.

If you're in the Maryland area, check out University of Maryland's Science in the Evening program. They have classes that start around 6 or 7, which made it pretty easy.