A nice win, success stories exist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Watermelon_Grower

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a longtime SDN lurker, and gained a lot of motivation from the imo, too few success stories. But the ones that are posted are usually awesome.

I'll start by saying I was always a pre-med student, I knew I wanted to be a doctor since like age 5. I graduated high school with a 4.0 GPA and went to a state college on scholarship. At University, I maintained a 3.77 the first two years, and was admitted to a BS/MD Program with a great MD school in my state. Then, what often happens in college, happened! I fell in love with a wonderful guy, and after a year, we broke up. My life was at a standstill and I stopped caring about anything. I was seriously depressed.

To activate my BS/MD program I had to score a 26 on my MCAT. I didn't study and stayed in bed for honestly the entire summer and scored a 23, was kicked out of the program. Junior year, I got C's in mostly all of my science classes. I think if I mapped it my depression, it lasted about a year. Junior year, I also dropped my microbiology concentration.

Senior year, I finally woke up after my parents talked to me over and over and over and over (I ended up moving back in with them during senior year). And then I realized I was in deep ****! I quickly realized I'd have to have at least 1 post-bacc year, maybe 2. I picked up a concentration in Education, and entered teacher's college. I started teaching Biology at a local school, earned a 3.8 my senior year, gave the graduation speech, and graduated with an overall of 3.6 and a science of 3.4.

After I graduated, I got involved very heavily with research, during a summer program, and then a two-year long longitudinal neuroscience study. I completed a post-bacc in the sciences (32 credits at 4.0), and a Master's in History (also a 4.0), because I ended up getting a job teaching History at a Parochial School. In all, I will have taken 2 years between graduating College, and entering Medical School as I am matriculating this fall.

I applied to Medical School with a 3.72 cGPA, 3.60 sGPA, and a 35 MCAT (11/11/13). The MCAT was a hard earned 4 months worth of studying after teaching. I'd teach and grade all day, and study for the MCAT all night. It was without a doubt the toughest time of my life.

During this time, I also overcame a lifelong battle with being overweight. I went from running only 30 seconds at a time, to finishing a Marathon this past fall. Running has honestly been my saving grace as far as sanity is concerned. I'm glad I'll be at my physical best when in Medical School. Being a hypocrite was always something that haunted me when I was overweight.

What I'm trying to say is.....I thought I lost my shot at an MD. Now I'm going to one of my #1 choice MD schools. Don't give up. It might take a year....or two...or three. This is your path!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 29 users
This story actually made me cry. Thank you for sharing!

What a great and inspiring story. I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's amazing, congratulations. I hope to write my success story one day.

Great story and pretty good stats! Life gets messy sometimes. I'm glad you beat it and I'm sure you'll do very well. Congratulations ^^

P.S. - Grats on the marathon. No easy feat either. Keep that up. You'll thank yourself when you live to be a healthy and active 100 year old =p

Congrats! Did you take the post-bacc because you hadn't completed all the pre-reqs during undergrad?
Thanks everyone, I just hope I can convince someone who thinks, "Two more years, I'm just going to quit now." If you think like that, in a decade you'll regret it. Two years when you are young, or even old, is really inconsequential.

I decided to do a post-bacc to raise my sGPA. Also, I was studying for the MCAT that year, so I thought I might as well take some classes. I took all of my post-bacc classes, my master's in History classes, and completed my MCAT 1 year out of college. This year, I have solely been working as a teacher, applying to medical schools, and completing my research study.

Reactions: 1 user
What factors led you to pursue a post-bacc instead of applying DO straight out of undergrad?
I think DO is an awesome route towards becoming a physician. However, most of the reason I entered medicine was because of my interest in performing cleft palate surgeries as a child. I know now it's hard to find a job that just does that, but I'd still like to perform some sort of pediatric surgery as my career. For that reason, I didn't want any doors closed to me, so I decided to go the MD route.

In 4, 5, 6 years? I think DO's will have no issue getting surgery residencies, especially with the merger, which is making it more apparent for the layperson that MD = DO. However, for the time that I live in, it was a gamble I wasn't willing to take.