A positive thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have any anesthesiologists that are employees only?

a couple part timers that have physician spouses that only wanted to work 2 or 3 days a week. They have no desire for full time work or call. 100% of full time people are partner (or partner track).

Members don't see this ad.

a couple part timers that have physician spouses that only wanted to work 2 or 3 days a week. They have no desire for full time work or call. 100% of full time people are partner (or partner track).

Are you guys legit with the "partner track"? Do you give people an honest shot or is it typical BS? Work them like dogs for 2-5 years then screw them over by dumping them a few months before the big pay raise.

Reactions: 1 user
I love this post!!!
So honest and so real
Thanks. I wouldn't recommend it to younger peeps that have heavier obligations who need more immediate bank, but for me it's enough.

This alone is the most critical factor in regards to socking away large amounts of cash.
So it seems.

If there are hirings in the areas where my friends are, it would be what I would have to sacrifice in my health/life to get there. I look on occasion, but there are none that fit what I need health wise.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Are you guys legit with the "partner track"? Do you give people an honest shot or is it typical BS? Work them like dogs for 2-5 years then screw them over by dumping them a few months before the big pay raise.

I'm quite happy with my lot in life.

Government (military) job. Roughly $250K/year for a ~40-50 hr/week job, with in-house call 2-3 times per month. Most days are 7-4 give or take. Mix of doing my own cases, doing cases with residents, and unfortunately a couple administrative-ish days per week. No supervision or direction of CRNAs. Some days I go in early for academics. Late days are rare and relief is almost invariably offered by 5 or 6.

I moonlight a bit. Military retirement package is excellent, in large part because it pays out immediately upon retirement, not at age 60 or 65. I'll start collecting it in a few years. I tell myself that the retirement from the Navy will be my "AMC buyout" when I leave my "partner" position in the Navy. :)

The free travel to war zones is a different sort of perk, but I'm not especially likely to go again before I get out. Maybe if Trump gets elected and we invade Mexico to secure some of their precious wall-building resources.

We're always hiring, too! :)

Live beneath your means, enjoy the days one at a time, and the years turn out to be pretty good. Or you can choose to be miserable, if being pissed off and dissatisfied is what makes you happy.

Reactions: 2 users

nobody has ever not made partner

Reactions: 1 user
I'm quite happy with my lot in life.

Government (military) job. Roughly $250K/year for a ~40-50 hr/week job, with in-house call 2-3 times per month. Most days are 7-4 give or take. Mix of doing my own cases, doing cases with residents, and unfortunately a couple administrative-ish days per week. No supervision or direction of CRNAs. Some days I go in early for academics. Late days are rare and relief is almost invariably offered by 5 or 6.

I moonlight a bit. Military retirement package is excellent, in large part because it pays out immediately upon retirement, not at age 60 or 65. I'll start collecting it in a few years. I tell myself that the retirement from the Navy will be my "AMC buyout" when I leave my "partner" position in the Navy. :)

The free travel to war zones is a different sort of perk, but I'm not especially likely to go again before I get out. Maybe if Trump gets elected and we invade Mexico to secure some of their precious wall-building resources.

We're always hiring, too! :)

Live beneath your means, enjoy the days one at a time, and the years turn out to be pretty good. Or you can choose to be miserable, if being pissed off and dissatisfied is what makes you happy.

Absolute deal breakers. I would NEVER work under these conditions. Otherwise, seems like a pretty sweet gig.

The deal breaker for most people is the mandatory travel to war zones ... and getting told where to live.

The in house call is a net positive I think. Pre and post call days off, and the pre-pre-call day is a "late shift" that usually works out to be 3 - 7 PM, give or take. Call is well compensated with time off.

Also ... given the tax benefits to being in the military, and the pension (essentially a big pre-tax employer contribution to a retirement account), my overall compensation is probably comparable to a $450K W-2 job. Certainly not 90+ %-ile MGMA but good for the hours worked.

Also, they're paying me to leave for a year to go be a fellow, which is about the sweetest deal ever. As much as I want to do the fellowship, I'm not sure I could make myself leave a PP job to earn $70K for that year ...

The deal breaker for most people is the mandatory travel to war zones ... and getting told where to live.

The in house call is a net positive I think. Pre and post call days off, and the pre-pre-call day is a "late shift" that usually works out to be 3 - 7 PM, give or take. Call is well compensated with time off.

Also ... given the tax benefits to being in the military, and the pension (essentially a big pre-tax employer contribution to a retirement account), my overall compensation is probably comparable to a $450K W-2 job. Certainly not 90+ %-ile MGMA but good for the hours worked.

Also, they're paying me to leave for a year to go be a fellow, which is about the sweetest deal ever. As much as I want to do the fellowship, I'm not sure I could make myself leave a PP job to earn $70K for that year ...

Well now that you put it THAT way.....

Add me to that "list" too (advanced echo boarded:).
Sorry if I was misleading... I'm nowhere near that level. We have a terrible payor mix and poor utilization (as the hospital wants with room flips, etc). I was requesting to be added to his list of applicants.

You definitely dont have to be in BFE to have a sweet deal. I live in a major city and have a comparable set up to what the others have posted. Granted, I probably work a little more for it, but not by much. roughly 65 hours/week; 1-2 in house calls/month. But like others said it helps to know people.

BTW shouldn't this be in the private forum?

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it's possible to be happy in anesthesia taking a relatively lower salary with less hours, call, etc?

Or will it be too hard to see your colleagues earning double or triple what you make?

Sure you can be happy, unless you're working your ass off for a management company that's skimming a couple hundred off the top of all the "partners". I'm happy to trade money for time.
I only work about 50 hours a week, I'm out before 4 regularly, my late days are predictable and not that late either. I only take about one call a month, never cover more than 2 rooms at a time and do my own cases 20-25% of the time. I also get a fair vacation and some more admin time. The hours, low call and 2:1 coverage have to be worth at least $150. If you add that to what I'm making and my good benefits, I'm in really good shape even though my take home might be much less than some others are making.
I'd not complain to make >600 like my pal in PP nearby, but he earns it every day, and 2-3 more weeks of vacation doesn't make up for the very frequent call, 7a-6p days, and 3-4:1 CRNA "supervision".
Having said all that, my wife has a good job (>100k), we never had any debt beside the hacienda, and while we have some very nice things, neither of us are particularly driven to earn more green. Others might be miserable in my situation thinking of all the money they could be making working later, taking more call, etc. You have to determine your own priorities.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users