A Question About Chemistry Pre-Reqs for Med School (Please help!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The One Who Knocks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am slightly confused, and I am hoping someone would be able to answer.

I am a pre-med student at Wayne State University, and my school's typical chemistry sequence is
General Chemistry I, followed by Orgo 1, then Orgo 2, and then General Chemistry 2.

However, my General Chemistry 2 class is dubbed "Analytical Chemistry", and I hear it is a very difficult and frustrating class, and also, one that is not needed for the MCAT. I would much rather take this class after the MCAT, however, since I will be taking the MCAT in the spring of my junior year, I will not have time to actually complete the General Chemistry 2: Analytical class until AFTER I have already applied to medical school.

However, from what I've read online, pretty much all med schools require 1 year (2 semesters) of General Chemistry.

My question is: do I need Gen. Chem 2: Analytical for the MCAT/for medical school application purposes? Or can I complete it after applying? I am not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help and clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

If your schools version of Gen Chem 2 is Anal Chem (and that's what it seems like) then you'll have to take Anal Chem. I haven't taken it (yet, I'm a chem major) but I heard that it's just electrochemistry and titrations over and over and over again. But, take my advice lightly. I'm just a pre-med myself.

Definitely note that most schools have 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of O Chem. Also nearly every school does gen chem 1 AND 2 before o chem 1 and 2. I would take a look at the gen chem 1 syllabus if you have it and see if you are in fact learning what most schools offer as 2 semesters of gen chem. Then look at Anal Chem syllabus and verify that it is (or isn't) actual gen chem 2 material, but instead Anal Chem material (they do differ). Good luck!

Pre-reqs only have to be completed prior to matriculating, not prior to applying, so you should be fine taking it your senior year.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your schools version of Gen Chem 2 is Anal Chem (and that's what it seems like) then you'll have to take Anal Chem. I haven't taken it (yet, I'm a chem major) but I heard that it's just electrochemistry and titrations over and over and over again. But, take my advice lightly. I'm just a pre-med myself.

Definitely note that most schools have 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of O Chem. Also nearly every school does gen chem 1 AND 2 before o chem 1 and 2. I would take a look at the gen chem 1 syllabus if you have it and see if you are in fact learning what most schools offer as 2 semesters of gen chem. Then look at Anal Chem syllabus and verify that it is (or isn't) actual gen chem 2 material, but instead Anal Chem material (they do differ). Good luck!

Please tell me that's not what you call it...

Reactions: 4 users
Analytical chemistry is absolutely amazing. If you love chemistry. It was by far my favorite class in all of undergrad. It seems a bit strange that it's classified as general chemistry 2... Is your general chemistry 1 spread out over two semesters? You'd need general chemistry 2 for analytical chemistry and for organic chemistry. I'd talk to someone in the chemistry department for more information about that because it seems a little strange.

Analytical chemistry is gen chem 2 on steroids. Tons of acids and bases, complex equilibria problems (all the stuff that in gen chem 2 they said "assume this is negligible or ignore this" is the stuff you have to figure out for analytical), tons of titrations, EDTA and chelator titrations which were my favorite, and electrochemistry. Analytical chemistry by itself is generally a 200 or above level class and I've never heard that it's been classified as general chemistry 2. Plus, you need acids and bases for ochem, and so I'm wondering if "general chemistry 1" as its called is two semesters. Since acids and bases are usually second semester.

Generally only crazy chemistry majors take Analytical chemistry because it is a ton of work. I personally loved it and bought it was magical and the best class I've ever had.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you please indicate the topics for your gen chem II "Analytical Chemistry?"

Pre-reqs only have to be completed prior to matriculating, not prior to applying, so you should be fine taking it your senior year.

Is this for certain for all medical schools? I would hate to push General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry to the first semester of my senior year, and have problems with the fact that I don't have "2 semesters of General Chemistry" BEFORE I apply/interview. I just want to make sure that this will not hinder me in any way, but because I will be taking the MCAT in the spring of my junior year, and "Analytical Chemistry" is not on the MCAT, I would much rather push it to the Fall of my junior year and not have to worry about it before my MCAT. Does this make sense to you?

Can you please indicate the topics for your gen chem II "Analytical Chemistry?"

Here are the links to my schools General Chemistries and their laboratories. Tell me what you think from the course description (I don't have access to the syllabi):

General Chemistry 1 - http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=1220&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 1 Lab- http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=1230&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry - http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=2280&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry Lab- http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=2290&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

Is this for certain for all medical schools? I would hate to push General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry to the first semester of my senior year, and have problems with the fact that I don't have "2 semesters of General Chemistry" BEFORE I apply/interview. I just want to make sure that this will not hinder me in any way, but because I will be taking the MCAT in the spring of my junior year, and "Analytical Chemistry" is not on the MCAT, I would much rather push it to the Fall of my junior year and not have to worry about it before my MCAT. Does this make sense to you?

Here are the links to my schools General Chemistries and their laboratories. Tell me what you think from the course description (I don't have access to the syllabi):

General Chemistry 1 - http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=1220&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 1 Lab- http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=1230&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry - http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=2280&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION

General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry Lab- http://classschedule.wayne.edu/sect...rse=2290&campus=NOSELECTION&instr=NOSELECTION
I'm 98% sure it's true for all schools. There might be a couple of weird ones, but I doubt it and I've never heard of them. If you have an idea of where you might want to apply, you can always check out their websites or give the admissions office a call. I believe AMCAS has a section where you can list coursework you plan to take, so schools will be able to see that you intend to complete the requirement.

Historically, some exceptions to the "by the time of matriculation" general rule have been Penn State, Cornell, Temple, Wake, Vanderbilt, VCU, Davis, and Columbia (which allows the lack of 1-2 required classes by application). Check websites to see if this will be true in the upcoming cycle if these schools are potential targets for you.

From browsing the descriptions of the chemistry courses at your school, it seems that Chem 2 is just standard second semester chemistry.

"Concepts and calculations regarding kinetics, equilibrium, thermodynamics for a variety of reaction types. Qualitative and quantitative examples and applications."

These topics are heavily tested on the MCAT (well, at least on the prior version).

The first semester Chem 1 is "Chemical structure, bonding, and reactivity", which does not seem to cover the prior topics.

I may be wrong, as I am just going off the online descriptions, but I would guess that the first semester does not cover everything.

From browsing the descriptions of the chemistry courses at your school, it seems that Chem 2 is just standard second semester chemistry.

"Concepts and calculations regarding kinetics, equilibrium, thermodynamics for a variety of reaction types. Qualitative and quantitative examples and applications."

These topics are heavily tested on the MCAT (well, at least on the prior version).

The first semester Chem 1 is "Chemical structure, bonding, and reactivity", which does not seem to cover the prior topics.

I may be wrong, as I am just going off the online descriptions, but I would guess that the first semester does not cover everything.

Here is the required textbook for my General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry - http://wayne.bncollege.com/webapp/w...&partNumber=MBS_977887&productId=500001138648

Does this help shed some light on if the information within the textbook will pertain to the MCAT? I would really appreciate any help as this is now bothering me in terms of planning my classes!

That sure looks like a book that is beyond second semester chemistry (therefore beyond the MCAT).

I think your best bet is to speak to the pre-medical adviser. Your school has a medical school, so I would suspect they have an answer ready for you.

That sure looks like a book that is beyond second semester chemistry (therefore beyond the MCAT).

I think your best bet is to speak to the pre-medical adviser. Your school has a medical school, so I would suspect they have an answer ready for you.
Okay, I will! Thanks for your help, it really is appreciated!

One more quick thing, just for curiosity's sake. This was my General Chemistry 1 syllabus: https://blackboard.wayne.edu/bbcswe...1_COMB/201309 1220 1225 Syllabus Complete.pdf

Scroll all the way to the end and take a look at all of the subjects we covered. Does that look like the information sufficient for the Gen. Chem MCAT info?
I am not sure what I should be comparing this syllabus to in terms of what is covered from General Chemistry on the MCAT.

That's a link to your blackboard - password protected.

That's a link to your blackboard - password protected.

Woops. I attached it as a pdf to this message. Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 201309 1220 1225 Syllabus Complete.pdf
    897.6 KB · Views: 49
Woops. I attached it as a pdf to this message. Let me know what you think!
IMO it looks like they're missing some topics. I mean idfk how my 2 gen chem classes could have been covered in one semester. But why is your syllabus 19 pages long lol

It looks like a years worth of chemistry, but I am not going to sit and compare it to the MCAT syllabus.

I suggest getting the MCAT content outline and your course syllabus and seeing if anything is missing.

"You must qualify for each exam by completing all homework (even for prior exams) by 11:59 p.m. the Wednesday before the exam.
If you do not, you will receive a zero on the exam. "

eww

Here is the required textbook for my General Chemistry 2: Analytical Chemistry - http://wayne.bncollege.com/webapp/w...&partNumber=MBS_977887&productId=500001138648

Does this help shed some light on if the information within the textbook will pertain to the MCAT? I would really appreciate any help as this is now bothering me in terms of planning my classes!

That was the exact same book required for my 312 level quantitative chemical analysis class. That's definitely not 100 level stuff. its a fun class for someone like me who loved chemistry but if you don't absolutely love chemistry you likely will hate it. Did it help me understand acids and bases better for the MCAT? Yes. Did I understand concepts better overall for the MCAT? Yes, but I also overthought things. Bottom line is that you don't *need* a 300 level equivalent class for the MCAT unless you're extremely interested in it.