A question about GPA calculations.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyUsernameIs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My question is simple, without going into all the messy details:

How do Psy.D programs and Ph.D programs deal with GPAs of re-taken courses? Are they like M.D programs where the GPA is averaged, or do they take the new GPA?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Unlike med schools, it isn't quite as standardized across schools, so I think the answer is going to be that it varies.

Reality is that the only way its likely to make a difference is if it drops you below a 3.5 anyhow. GPA seems to matter relatively little between differentiating applicants once you make it past that.

Reality is that the only way its likely to make a difference is if it drops you below a 3.5 anyhow.

It will. I've had a relatively good GPA, marred by a terrible semester in which I received a C-, B+, and two F's :thumbdown:thumbdown

Members don't see this ad :)
It will. I've had a relatively good GPA, marred by a terrible semester in which I received a C-, B+, and two F's :thumbdown:thumbdown

Was that semester recent, and were any of those psych marks? If the answer to both those questions is "no," it's probably of little consequence.

I have another question about GPA calculations.

Has anybody heard of grad schools counting classes that you have taken for "pass/not pass" as a "C"? A friend of mine said some law schools do that, is this the same for psych?

I took a few classes for a "pass" my first two years of college (wasn't very focused on school at the time). And in my junior and senior year, I have several "passes" because I didn't have the option to take the course for a letter grade (health internship, research assistantship, etc.)

Will these be counted against me?

I have another question about GPA calculations.

Has anybody heard of grad schools counting classes that you have taken for "pass/not pass" as a "C"? A friend of mine said some law schools do that, is this the same for psych?

I took a few classes for a "pass" my first two years of college (wasn't very focused on school at the time). And in my junior and senior year, I have several "passes" because I didn't have the option to take the course for a letter grade (health internship, research assistantship, etc.)

Will these be counted against me?

No. Definitely not. Do law schools really do that? That's crazy! Usually Pass/Fail courses don't get factored into your GPA unless you fail.

Hey everyone,

How do Psy.D programs and Ph.D programs deal with GPAs of re-taken courses? Are they like M.D programs where the GPA is averaged, or do they take the new GPA?

Thanks in advance!

Most programs will require that you use both grades in your GPA calculation(s). So, if you made an F in a class one semester, then made an A in it the next, you would use both grades (the F & the A) in your GPA calculation.

I've got your terrible semester beat and still got in, so as long as it wasn't habit forming or anything recent, and you have other excellent credentials, you *should* be okay.

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

If you retake a course, the retake grade replaces the initial grade in your GPA calculation. I had a whole semester's worth of retakes and did my GPA this way. This is also how it appears on the transcript (e,g,, they weren't averaged). No schools seemed to have any problems with this and it wasn't mentioned (I don't think) on any of the applications.

Most programs will require that you use both grades in your GPA calculation(s). So, if you made an F in a class one semester, then made an A in it the next, you would use both grades (the F & the A) in your GPA calculation.

I've got your terrible semester beat and still got in, so as long as it wasn't habit forming or anything recent, and you have other excellent credentials, you *should* be okay.

If you retake a course, the retake grade replaces the initial grade in your GPA calculation. I had a whole semester's worth of retakes and did my GPA this way. This is also how it appears on the transcript (e,g,, they weren't averaged). No schools seemed to have any problems with this and it wasn't mentioned (I don't think) on any of the applications.

So, in other words, it sounds like it depends upon the program. As usual. :D If the program's site does not mention it explicity, call them up & ask. I was specifically advised that I must calculate both grades, whereas someone else apparently did not have to do so. You can either choose whichever answer you prefer, or CHECK WITH THE SCHOOL.

actually - a new question :)

when calculating my major GPA (psych in this case) do I calculate the GPA in all my courses, or my courses minus the psych 1 pre-req

gotten a few different answers on this - and not all the schools who ask for it are specific

THANKS! :)

actually - a new question :)

when calculating my major GPA (psych in this case) do I calculate the GPA in all my courses, or my courses minus the psych 1 pre-req

gotten a few different answers on this - and not all the schools who ask for it are specific

THANKS! :)

This is just my gut, but I would say rule of thumb would be to include the courses that have PSY designations. So if the pre-req says PSY, include it.