A Unique Way into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SonhosDaVida

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So I am about to graduate from Pharmacy school with a 3.5 gpa overall. My undergrad science gpa was a 3.6 and so was my overall gpa for the undergrad times. For the past 6 years, I have worked as a Pharmacy Technician. I am also the treasurer of my school's chemistry club. I am a tutor in anatomy, physiology, biology, calculus, and various other classes. I also have oncology research under my belt, though no publications... yet. I have a 31 on the MCAT and want to apply for medical school. I am a state resident of Wisconsin. I was just wondering what my chances of getting into medical schools like Puerto Rico, University of Southern Alabama, Uni of South Carolina, Mizzou SOM, SLU SOM, etc, are? Add any medical school suggestions would be appreciated! Also, what should I do to improve my chances? Are my extracurricular activities not very good? Will having a Pharm. D. and applying to med school help? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, why not UW and MCW? You are in-state and have good numbers, especially for UW. You legit have like a 75% chance of an acceptance there (they interview roughly 50% of their in-state applicants and then a huge chunk of those applicants with your numbers are accepted).

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, why not UW and MCW? You are in-state and have good numbers, especially for UW. You legit have like a 75% chance of an acceptance there (they interview roughly 50% of their in-state applicants and then a huge chunk of those applicants with your numbers are accepted).

In-state tuition, also.

I'm looking to get out of state. Lived in Wisconsin for a long time. But what other med schools would you suggest for me to look at? Btw, I really plan on being a surgeon, perhaps neurosurgeon out of med school. Are my extracurriculars ok? Thanks a lot!!!

I understand about wanting to leave the state, but there are no guarantees with medical school, so you should at least still apply to your state schools to maximize the chances of getting at least *one* acceptance. It may not be ideal, but getting into medical school is better than not getting into medical school 9 times out of 10. Your GPAs are a little on the low side, but not terrible; likely more suited for DO schools than MD schools. A PharmD is interesting, but you'd need to do a good job of articulating, why medicine now? Why didn't you do it out of undergrad? What changed your mind?

Thanks for the advice. I thought I wanted to pharmacy, but I'm fulfilling my childhood dream of neurosurgery now! Hopefully I can get into medical school!!!!! I'll apply to the instate ones, for sure.

Do you have US citizenship/permanent resident status? International admissions are extremely competitive.

this is hardly unique; we pharmacist-(future) physicians are all over the place these days

the pharmD will be nice, but what would really set you apart would either be stellar stats (yours are a bit below average for medical school) or actually doing something unique and meaningful with your training.

also be prepared to give a good answer to the question about why you decided to change to medicine so abruptly

Well, for starters, there's nothing unique about switching careers. Your GPAs and MCAT are right at the median for MD matriculants.

The schools you list require you to have Spanish language skills (PR), or highly favor residents of those states (U MO, U SoAL, U SC.

I suggest:
U AZ (both)
U VM
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
Tulane
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, except Central MI, Va Tech or Hofstra
Any DO program. Start with CCOM and DMU
U WI

Hi guys. So I am about to graduate from Pharmacy school with a 3.5 gpa overall. My undergrad science gpa was a 3.6 and so was my overall gpa for the undergrad times. For the past 6 years, I have worked as a Pharmacy Technician. I am also the treasurer of my school's chemistry club. I am a tutor in anatomy, physiology, biology, calculus, and various other classes. I also have oncology research under my belt, though no publications... yet. I have a 31 on the MCAT and want to apply for medical school. I am a state resident of Wisconsin. I was just wondering what my chances of getting into medical schools like Puerto Rico, University of Southern Alabama, Uni of South Carolina, Mizzou SOM, SLU SOM, etc, are? Add any medical school suggestions would be appreciated! Also, what should I do to improve my chances? Are my extracurricular activities not very good? Will having a Pharm. D. and applying to med school help? Thanks

What would anyone suggest for me to do to improve my stats? I still have some time left before I apply!