aamc biological sciences 147 and 178? please answer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonito

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
last minute questions... i was wondering anyone could help me?
in q147 why is it a the right answer. I thought that increased in blood pressure comes when solute (na+ and h20 are absorbed thus increasing blood pressure so according to that production of urine should be low?
my reasoning is false then if a is the correct answer so please help.

in 178 what the difference between answer a and answer c. in order word why is c incorrect?

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

nonito said:
last minute questions... i was wondering anyone could help me?
in q147 why is it a the right answer. I thought that increased in blood pressure comes when solute (na+ and h20 are absorbed thus increasing blood pressure so according to that production of urine should be low?
my reasoning is false then if a is the correct answer so please help.

in 178 what the difference between answer a and answer c. in order word why is c incorrect?

thanks so much

Good questions. I'm probably not much help here since I haven't done physiology coursework. And the AAMC #7 answers doesn't seem to clarify either. Anyhoo, my reasoning is:

#147 - from the fact that her heart and breathing rates are increased as a result of anxiety, she's activated her sympathetic system which leads to increased heart rate. Not sure how the increased heart rate leads to more urine production. Seems to follow in real life though (and on test day, I'm sure, haha).

#178 - c refers to "a lack of receptors", which technically can't be changed by experiment. So even though both a and c support this hypothesis, a is more plausible.

Anyone else have ideas?

I only did the Verbal Reasoning Section of AAMC 8, since it is my area of most concern.

To answer the OP's question: an increase in blood pressure can result from increased vasoconstriction, so it may not necessarily be due to an increase in blood volume, although an increase in blood volume can lead to increase in blood pressure.

Also, activation of the sympathetic system should lead to decrease in urine volume production.