AAMC Section Bank - Percentages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thoroughbred_Med

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished with all three AAMC section banks and holy ****! They are way more difficult than any other material I've encountered. How concerned should I be with these scores?

P/S: 66% C/P: 63% B/B: 59%

I was utterly surprised at the level of detail in B/B. The passages were fair game but wtf on the discretes... Other AAMC tests have never had that level of factoid minutia. What are others scoring on these things?

Members don't see this ad.

I know... I just finished P/S and scored 59%. Going over it to see if I should spend much more time on content review...

Reactions: 1 user
84% on B/BC Section Bank and 90% on AAMC Sample. But my mistakes on the sample were mainly just stupid mistakes of not reading carefully enough so my impression is that Section Bank is more difficult. If you think the AAMC Sample is difficult though, you should review the content more and try to do more questions that are representative of the format of the exam.

Reactions: 1 users
84% on B/BC Section Bank and 90% on AAMC Sample. But my mistakes on the sample were mainly just stupid mistakes of not reading carefully enough so my impression is that Section Bank is more difficult. If you think the AAMC Sample is difficult though, you should review the content more and try to do more questions that are representative of the format of the exam.

Damn aldol. Back at it again with the good test scores

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished with all three AAMC section banks and holy ****! They are way more difficult than any other material I've encountered. How concerned should I be with these scores?

P/S: 66% C/P: 63% B/B: 59%

I was utterly surprised at the level of detail in B/B. The passages were fair game but wtf on the discretes... Other AAMC tests have never had that level of factoid minutia. What are others scoring on these things?

C/P 52% :/ so far

Hi all,
Any chance you guys are also finding mistakes in the AAMC question and section banks?
For example, Section Bank Bio Passage 3 question 22 is regarding molecular weight of an inactive tetramer. Apparently we are just supposed to know that the average MW for an AA is 110dk, okay... somewhat fair... BUT the solution reports ¨... as indicated by figure 1...¨ the issue is... THERE IS NO FIGURE IN THE PASSAGE. I asked others to view the same passage in Safari, chrome and IE and noone had figures shows in the passage. whats up with that?
this isnt the first time im finding typos and mistakes in aamc solutions and passages....

Hi all,
Any chance you guys are also finding mistakes in the AAMC question and section banks?
For example, Section Bank Bio Passage 3 question 22 is regarding molecular weight of an inactive tetramer. Apparently we are just supposed to know that the average MW for an AA is 110dk, okay... somewhat fair... BUT the solution reports ¨... as indicated by figure 1...¨ the issue is... THERE IS NO FIGURE IN THE PASSAGE. I asked others to view the same passage in Safari, chrome and IE and noone had figures shows in the passage. whats up with that?
this isnt the first time im finding typos and mistakes in aamc solutions and passages....

I remember that one... Also for one of their psych passages on development, they quoted something about kids being 36 years old. Answer explanations reveal they meant to say 3-6 years old.

I remember that one... Also for one of their psych passages on development, they quoted something about kids being 36 years old. Answer explanations reveal they meant to say 3-6 years old.

:laugh: I was thinking the exact same thing. Luckily I just assumed that was what they meant.

yep thats one ive caught. Also another one in chem/phys. Not fair!!

Members don't see this ad :)
no man. I did not. I did the bio section all in one day... in two different sittings.. untimed
Yeah same here. That's good to know though. I just reviewed it today. All my mistakes are in data analysis. I'm guessing you did all the banks untimed then?

Hope your exam went well man. We've been in this together for a while :)

Yeah same here. That's good to know though. I just reviewed it today. All my mistakes are in data analysis. I'm guessing you did all the banks untimed then?

Hope your exam went well man. We've been in this together for a while :)
yep! did all of the section banks untimed. I used them more as a tool to understand the intricacies of AAMC style questions... rather than a straight up FL.

And yes! My exam went super well for me! ...for me that is. I scored a 508 (126/124/129/129) that I am just ecstatic about. I never scored a 508 on any of my practice tests :3

yep! did all of the section banks untimed. I used them more as a tool to understand the intricacies of AAMC style questions... rather than a straight up FL.

And yes! My exam went super well for me! ...for me that is. I scored a 508 (126/124/129/129) that I am just ecstatic about. I never scored a 508 on any of my practice tests :3
So happy for you man. Best of luck to everything :)

About to work through this section bank, which are questions from old tests, right? I'm thinking about working these untimed as well.
However the question packs are new stuff, and I think these are recommended to be timed. Any input?

About to work through this section bank, which are questions from old tests, right? I'm thinking about working these untimed as well.
However the question packs are new stuff, and I think these are recommended to be timed. Any input?

You have it reversed. Section bank is new, question packs are from old pre-2015 stuff.

I'm curious to know if it's best to do the SB timed or untimed? And when I should start. Thanks!

Do it whichever way suits you. I think each Section Bank is the equivalent of two test sections so you can time up to the halfway mark each time. Or, you can go through carefully and review after each one. I did the latter because I was short on time and was doing these a passage at a time.

aldol16, you think having answers on might effect answer choices for later questions and may not be representative of my performance or should I just treat the SB as a learning tool?

aldol16, you think having answers on might effect answer choices for later questions and may not be representative of my performance or should I just treat the SB as a learning tool?

Yes, it definitely will affect performance on later questions but I just used it as a learning tool. I basically integrated Section Bank in early on in my studying so I wasn't really doing them as test-style passages. I knew that I had enough materials (~6 FLs + Khan Academy) later on to use anyway. You'll have to do it in whichever way is best for your studying but I don't think it'll matter much either way. Just choose one and do it.