ABEM Certificates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexipi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take for you to receive your ABEM certificate after you passed orals?
Also am I reading the website correctly --- is there an annual fee to remain certified??

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for you to receive your ABEM certificate after you passed orals?
Also am I reading the website correctly --- is there an annual fee to remain certified??
The annual fee is used for a worthy cause, for ABEM's annual winter Hawaii conference for leadership at the Fairmont Kea Lani with room rates starting around 2000 per day.
Futurama Buy GIF

Reactions: 1 user
There are lots of things you will need to do to stay certified, including LLSA during the first four years after certification, MyEmCert during subsequent years, and statements of improving practice and professionalism. All of these steps cost over a thousand dollars per decade of practice.

ABEM is cosponsoring a new certification for hospital administration. The initial requirements are to have an MBA and to work in healthcare leadership. I'm sure that the exam will cost another thousand dollars, which is ridiculous for someone who already has an MBA and leadership experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of things you will need to do to stay certified, including LLSA during the first four years after certification, MyEmCert during subsequent years, and statements of improving practice and professionalism. All of these steps cost over a thousand dollars per decade of practice.

ABEM is cosponsoring a new certification for hospital administration. The initial requirements are to have an MBA and to work in healthcare leadership. I'm sure that the exam will cost another thousand dollars, which is ridiculous for someone who already has an MBA and leadership experience.
My last hospital, the CEO had an MBA, and was "FACHE" - Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives - and he told me he had yearly CEs he had to do to maintain that fellowship. So, if a mechanism already exists, I wonder what ABEM is going to co-sponsor.

The certificate is so plain after doing all the crap for the oral I won't do the Fellowship nonsense Im board certified also the extra letters have us looking like nurses