ABEM Recert questions -- What the heck is IMP and other questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, looks like it is almost 5 years since I got ABEM certified. My understanding is that the requirements are:

1. Complete 4 LLSA tests - Done!
2. Complete 1 Improvement in Medical Practice (IMP) -- What the heck is this? Can someone give a TL;DR?
3. Sign the Code of porfessionalism and Medical Licensure - Done!

4. Complete 4 MyEMCert Modules -- I haven't done this yet but it is saying I have another 5 years to do this (i.e. once my 10-year cycle completes). Is this correct?

Also, don't I have to pay something? I don't see anywhere to do that.

If it helps, I first got board certified in 2018...

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Lastly, how do I check if I am on the 5 or 10 year re-cert track??
I am assuming 10-year since it says I have till 2028 to pass the 4 MyEMCert modules. This also means I don't need to pay anything till then, right? Just want to triple check here.

The IMP is basically doing something to improve patient satisfaction, quality review (like ASA for STEMIs), looking at how well you did with SEP-1 compliance, antibiotics within 60 mins for open fractures, etc. You usually list your medical director as someone who can verify that you did it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lastly, how do I check if I am on the 5 or 10 year re-cert track??
I am assuming 10-year since it says I have till 2028 to pass the 4 MyEMCert modules. This also means I don't need to pay anything till then, right? Just want to triple check here.
Ask your department what people are using for this... there is likely some stroke data or something that gets submitted.

Reactions: 1 user
On another note... I took 3 of the myEMCert tests when they were piloting them. I was able to get credit for all (of course I had to pay after piloting them - yaaay).

I registered for an additional test (neurology) and the CMEs associated with it, but never took it. I had to renew one of my DEA registrations this year, and I registered for the social and behavioral health, opioid use disorder, and alcohol use disorder modules.

Now the neurology test is not showing as being available to take. The register for module option is grayed out. Obviously I wouldn't purchase another right now since I don't need it, but I was going to take the neurology test to get the CMEs.

Does ABEM limit you to only 4 tests?