ABG Base Excess

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

placebo_B12

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does Base Excess tell you on an ABG? How do you interpret it?

Members don't see this ad.

As an RT student I'll try to give you an answer. Normal base excess in a blood gas is +-2mEq/L. If there is a positive BE (greater than +2) then this indicates that there has been a gain of a base or loss of acid due to non respiratory causes.
However if there has been a negative base excess (less than -2) then there has been a loss of base or a gain of acid from non respiratory causes.

Hope this helps

Nev

As an RT student I'll try to give you an answer. Normal base excess in a blood gas is +-2mEq/L. If there is a positive BE (greater than +2) then this indicates that there has been a gain of a base or loss of acid due to non respiratory causes.
However if there has been a negative base excess (less than -2) then there has been a loss of base or a gain of acid from non respiratory causes.

Hope this helps

Nev
Bingo....I can't believe I didn't see this thread. BTW, looks like someone has been paying attention in their courses! Nice work. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Also be aware that some people refer to -BE as base deficit. Can be confusing if you've never heard of it that way before.

Bingo....I can't believe I didn't see this thread. BTW, looks like someone has been paying attention in their courses! Nice work. :thumbup:

Thanks man. I just knew it coz this is finals week!