about taking the August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I'm really not too experienced with the American admission process, I'm a little bit confused about the following, any help/advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!!

I will be taking the August MCAT (at this stage I not only have exams which prevent me from writing in April but I'm also pretty unprepared to be writing in April). My GPA is not very high. I took an MCAT exam some time ago but did not score well at all (25R). I want to retake the MCAT this summer but I also want to apply very very early (by the end of July if possible) to get a higher chance before it gets too competitive for my GPA.

So when I apply, should I:
1. submit my old poor scores anyway and say that I am retaking it
2. submit no scores and just say that I am taking it in August.

OR do i have to wait to apply after I write (sept/oct)???

Also, if I apply with a 3.5 GPA and poor MCAT is there a chance that the schools will just reject me right away due to my poor grades, without waiting for my updated marks?? I really would hate to waste all the money on the application if they feel that it's just a waste of time to wait for my (hopefully much improved) MCAT marks and reject me based on GPA.

Any advice?
THANKS!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

mac_kin said:
Since I'm really not too experienced with the American admission process, I'm a little bit confused about the following, any help/advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!!

I will be taking the August MCAT (at this stage I not only have exams which prevent me from writing in April but I'm also pretty unprepared to be writing in April). My GPA is not very high. I took an MCAT exam some time ago but did not score well at all (25R). I want to retake the MCAT this summer but I also want to apply very very early (by the end of July if possible) to get a higher chance before it gets too competitive for my GPA.

So when I apply, should I:
1. submit my old poor scores anyway and say that I am retaking it
2. submit no scores and just say that I am taking it in August.

OR do i have to wait to apply after I write (sept/oct)???

Also, if I apply with a 3.5 GPA and poor MCAT is there a chance that the schools will just reject me right away due to my poor grades, without waiting for my updated marks?? I really would hate to waste all the money on the application if they feel that it's just a waste of time to wait for my (hopefully much improved) MCAT marks and reject me based on GPA.

Any advice?
THANKS!!!!!!!

if you want to risk it, I'd take the Aug MCAT and apply this year....and hope you did better this time....or I'd take this Aug MCAT and see if I can bring up my GPA in the next one year and apply next summer....usually the last 60 hours of your undergrad are weighed more....and the last 25 on your MCAT will be on your file whether you send it or not....the moment you sign up for August....the AAMC/AAMCAS will put a hold on your application till your August scores are out....hope that helps