Is it possible to get II or acceptances with a late August MCAT? Assuming the primary is submitted in June

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorwannabe1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of pushing my test to late Aug since I’m still in the 490s on practice tests. I’m URM, low SES, very disadvantaged background, with a 3.4 science gpa, 3.7 cumulative gpa, and 3.78 post bacc gpa. 2000 clinical hours, 1000 research hours, 400 non clinical volunteer, 50 shadowing hours, and a second author research publication. I know it’s late and there will be thousands in the queue ahead of me. I’m really only aiming to get into my state school or an HBCU. My state school’s 10th percentile is a 503. Can I still get in this cycle with a later MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m thinking of pushing my test to late Aug since I’m still in the 490s on practice tests. I’m URM, low SES, very disadvantaged background, with a 3.4 science gpa, 3.7 cumulative gpa, and 3.78 post bacc gpa. 2000 clinical hours, 1000 research hours, 400 non clinical volunteer, 50 shadowing hours, and a second author research publication. I know it’s late and there will be thousands in the queue ahead of me. I’m really only aiming to get into my state school or an HBCU. My state school’s 10th percentile is a 503. Advice?
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. For most folks, that means you are scoring a few points better on the AAMC FL (not worse). A bad score will always be visible on your application and it is impossible for evaluators to "unsee" it.
Do not waste the AAMC FL's!

Reactions: 1 users
I would not suggest applying considering you do not know if you can cross the 500 mark within the next 2 months (if you were planning to take it in July).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not take the MCAT until you are confident of a score consistent with success. For most folks, that means you are scoring a few points better on the AAMC FL (not worse). A bad score will always be visible on your application and it is impossible for evaluators to "unsee" it.
Do not waste the AAMC FL's!
I understand that, which is why my question is if I can still get in this cycle with a later MCAT.

I understand that, which is why my question is if I can still get in this cycle with a later MCAT.
A strong application in September can garner interviews at MD schools, but the timing is far from ideal.
More than half the interview slots are already apportioned by that time at my school, for example.

The DO cycle is longer, so a late application is less problematic.