About the Class Rank of an advanced standing student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Scalpel

Villain
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is the class rank for advanced standing students if they only do two years?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Every school does this differently. You should ask each school you apply to how they plan on ranking their international students.

Most schools rank the international students in the same pool as the rest of the class. Some schools rank you only with the other international students.

Only your GPA from your advanced standing program will count. Your GPA from your prior dental school will not count towards the rankings.

Also if you go to a 2 year advanced standing program, you apply after your junior year, which means they will only get grades for the first year of your advanced standing programs. Your second year would only matter if you don't match right away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have American citizenship or permanent residence? Parkland requires you to be at minimum a permanent resident while Mayo requires you to be a citizen.

Yes, I am a Citizen, so that wouldn't be a problem. What do you think I could do to make up for my gpa "shortage" by the time I apply? I mean like, besides being at the top percentile of the class? That has me so stressed out its not even funny :boom:, specially because I'm dead set on doing med school with a 6 year program and I know how competitive it is.

For the 6 year programs, the most important factor is the NBME CBSE.

At this point, just work super hard to get a high of s class rank as possible and get a score of 70+ to be competitive. If you do that, apply broadly to 20-30 programs and hope for the best.

No point of worrying about it now. Take it one step at a time and re-evaluate at each step.