About to get a C in Ochem 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental1234555

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Right now I am taking Ochem 1 and I have a C in the class I still have a chance to get B but I'm freaking out, The sad part about my grade is it is not because I don't understand the material, but I have really bad testing anxiety. Should I not take the final get a D and repeat the class or is a C okay, keeping in mind I have a 2 other C’s in botany and Genchem 1 all my other grades are B’s and A’s

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

just to clarify, you’re asking if you should intentionally get a 0 on the final and then retake the D or take the final and potentially get above a c? If so obviously take the final. Med schools don’t do grade replacement, they just average all grades.
On another note, go to your student academic service and ask for help. You’re about to pursue a field which requires numerous tests. The sooner you get over your test anxiety the easier this path will be

Reactions: 1 users
just to clarify, you’re asking if you should intentionally get a 0 on the final and then retake the D or take the final and potentially get above a c? If so obviously take the final. Med schools don’t do grade replacement, they just average all grades

Yes the idea was to intentionally get a 0 and retake the class again

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes the idea was to intentionally get a 0 and retake the class again

Thought this was in the premed not pre dent forum but I assume the same advice stands. Just take the final and see how you do. There’s literally 0 benefit to not taking it

Do NOT get a D in the class. Even if you retake it, it is calculated in your GPA and will raise flags.

Reactions: 2 users
My advice is to take the test and study a lot and get an A on the test. You may still want to retake it but it will prove to yourself that you can do it. Just being honest if you can’t commit to getting an A on one test then getting through every class you need to take, the DAT, and the more rigorous dental school curriculum will be a long shot.

Nope, do not bomb the final. Was in the same situation a couple years ago, ended up with 2 C's and 1 D on my transcript, but hasn't stopped interviews for me. Nor has anyone asked about these grades. In the grand scheme, yes grades matter, but they are not completely everything on your application.

My advice is to take the test and study a lot and get an A on the test. You may still want to retake it but it will prove to yourself that you can do it. Just being honest if you can’t commit to getting an A on one test then getting through every class you need to take, the DAT, and the more rigorous dental school curriculum will be a long shot.

I 100% agree with you, the sad part I know I understand the material and can do better because I help my friends with it too, it’s just when I take an exam I don’t know what happens to me. I guess the question is if it's going to ruin my chances to get into a dental school?

Reactions: 1 user
I 100% agree with you, the sad part I know I understand the material and can do better because I help my friends with it too, it’s just when I take an exam I don’t know what happens to me. I guess the question is if it's going to ruin my chances to get into a dental school?
Three C’s won’t ruin your chances as long as you get mostly A’s and a few B’s in all your other classes. If you truly are putting in the work but your test anxiety is to the point where it inhibits you from recalling information that you know, then you should definitely see a counselor or therapist. They may be able to help you through your anxiety which would obviously have a tremendous benefit on your grades.

I received a C in Ochem 1. Then a B+ in Ochem 2 which is much more subtle. Just take the final and get a C and above overall and improve your habits for Ochem 2. I also got a C in physics 1, but an A in physics 2. Just show improvement and ace your DAT. I received a 21 AA. I was still able to receive pre December interviews even with all of this.

Three C’s won’t ruin your chances as long as you get mostly A’s and a few B’s in all your other classes. If you truly are putting in the work but your test anxiety is to the point where it inhibits you from recalling information that you know, then you should definitely see a counselor or therapist. They may be able to help you through your anxiety which would obviously have a tremendous benefit on your grades.

Thank you I really appreciate it.

Like others have said, I got a B in Orgo 1 and a C in Orgo 2. I would just advice to finish as strong as you could. In my experience, I knew I understood organic chemistry but I felt my professor made the class more difficult than it should have been. Ended up with a 21 on my OChem section for DAT and was still able to receive pre-december interviews (received a 19 in OC the first time I took the DAT). Don't sweat it. Usually if you can perform well on the DAT section in which you struggled for the actual class, it can show them that you knew the material really well but just didn't perform well in the class due to possibly how difficult your professor was or other external factors playing a role.

Try watching chad's videos! I wish I knew a lot of the DAT studying material/ tools while I was actually taking those classes. Would have saved me a TON of time reading textbooks, doing pointless problems, and watching terrible youtube videos that would only confuse me even more!

EDIT: A "C" is okay! I have a C in Gen Chem 2 and I'm doing fine with interviews! Just try to keep your sGPA at 3.3 or higher and there's nothing to worry about!

I was once in your position.... In my case I bombed my final to get a D instead of a C knowing my school would replace a D and below. I retook it in the summer and was getting a C so I bombed my final again and got another D lol. Finally I was able to get a B on my third try for this bio 2 class. This single class and the retake destroyed my science gpa. Study as hard as you can to avoid the C.

I had C's in gen chem, a D in Ochem 1 (which I repeated for a B+) and a couple other C's in college. I studied like nuts for my DAT and got a 23 AA and 24 TS. When I applied the first time around I still got into NYU. And no, not because I had a lot of volunteer hours or shadowing experience. So obviously do your best, but if you get a C or end up retaking it after receiving a D, don't sweat it. It doesn't prevent you from gaining an acceptance somewhere. [I decided not to go to NYU but that's another story].

Dental students are for the most part high achievers and good test takers. Dentistry is about test taking...forever. Poor test takers will have a hard time with dental school and beyond. Keep in mind it is more difficult to repeat classes in dental school.