Above vs Center of Mass OER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haujun

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it for MC officer to get above center of mass (out of 5 OERs) to get promoted to LTC or COL? I find this process highly subjective as if you are a good clinician you do not have too much opportunity to interact with your senior rater. It appears that more time you spend doing administrative tasks and going to endless meetings (away from patient care) you will more "well known" and you will more likely than not to get above center of mass. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

You hit the nail on the head.

Based on my RVUs for the last year, I was the most productive surgeon in our entire DOS over the last 12 months but no line officer on the board panel cares. I deliberately failed to do the CCC because I am ETSing next spring and this kept me (along with my lack of committee participation) from promotion to LTC for next spring. However, I am a better clinician and surgeon because I try to remain entirely clinical.

I think if you do the CCC and serve on some committees (i.e. play their stupid military education game), you'll have no problem getting promoted. I texted a couple of my med school buddies after the LTC MC board results came out last week and congratulated them. I also told them that I would salute them as I'm walking out the door to private practice as a major ready to make triple what they do and be more appreciated (i.e CME money, OR/clinic equipment, adequate staff, no doctor-nurses, preferential parking, etc as the list goes on and on). I also told them to enjoy their skill atrophy during their 2-year brigade surgeon tours. Harsh, but I'm only speaking the truth.

Leave and leave as soon as you can. Military medicine is doomed.

You hit the nail on the head.

Based on my RVUs for the last year, I was the most productive surgeon in our entire DOS over the last 12 months but no line officer on the board panel cares. I deliberately failed to do the CCC because I am ETSing next spring and this kept me (along with my lack of committee participation) from promotion to LTC for next spring. However, I am a better clinician and surgeon because I try to remain entirely clinical.

I think if you do the CCC and serve on some committees (i.e. play their stupid military education game), you'll have no problem getting promoted. I texted a couple of my med school buddies after the LTC MC board results came out last week and congratulated them. I also told them that I would salute them as I'm walking out the door to private practice as a major ready to make triple what they do and be more appreciated (i.e CME money, OR/clinic equipment, adequate staff, no doctor-nurses, preferential parking, etc as the list goes on and on). I also told them to enjoy their skill atrophy during their 2-year brigade surgeon tours. Harsh, but I'm only speaking the truth.

Leave and leave as soon as you can. Military medicine is doomed.

So besides OER now military schooling is essential in getting promoted on time.

Members don't see this ad :)
So besides OER now military schooling is essential in getting promoted on time.

I'll tell you in 2 weeks when they release the selection board results. I'm up for O5 and I haven't done any of that military schooling NKO how-to-be-a-clipboard-commando teambuilding leadership admin-track stuff.

I chaired one middle-tier hospital committee, and I'm a board certified department head with EP fitreps who's deployed in my specialty. That really oughtta be enough for O5. :xf:

I'll tell you in 2 weeks when they release the selection board results. I'm up for O5 and I haven't done any of that military schooling NKO how-to-be-a-clipboard-commando teambuilding leadership admin-track stuff.

I chaired one middle-tier hospital committee, and I'm a board certified department head with EP fitreps who's deployed in my specialty. That really oughtta be enough for O5. :xf:

Yeah, I hope those board panel "line" officers even understand your job position. Good luck.

Yeah, I hope those board panel "line" officers even understand your job position. Good luck.

Well, 6 of the board members were 2100 (physicians), one was a 2700 (flag executive medicine officer that comes from MC, DC, etc), and one was a 1120 (submarine warfare officer?!?) ... I have a little faith that the system isn't completely obtuse.

The odd thing is, my lineal # is such that if they promote me, it'll be in the last month of the fiscal year: September 2014.

If they don't promote me this round, and I do the some extra circus tricks and stay awake during committee meetings in order to buff my record for next year's board, and they do promote me then, my lineal # will be near the front of the pack for that group, and I'd get promoted early the following fiscal year. Or October 2014.

How important is it for MC officer to get above center of mass (out of 5 OERs) to get promoted to LTC or COL? I find this process highly subjective as if you are a good clinician you do not have too much opportunity to interact with your senior rater. It appears that more time you spend doing administrative tasks and going to endless meetings (away from patient care) you will more "well known" and you will more likely than not to get above center of mass. :rolleyes:

i just learned this week that you need at least one ACOM OER or it's considered a red flag. first i've heard of it, but from the sound if it they are really cracking down on the auto promotion mentality. which sucks for the people left going through all the hoops when the people a year or two prior skated through no problem. eventually their numbers may get so low they'll be forced to promote people lol.

--your friendly neighborhood 5 years to go caveman