Academia as a Focus in Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunbuRxt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When residencies claim to have a focus on teaching and academia, I'm not exactly sure what this means. Don't all residencies require that you precept pharmacy students on rotations?

I know some schools have you teach some of the classes, but do these residencies prepare you to be a professor / associate professor at a pharmacy school or do they help you get a job at a teaching hospital where you become like an attending or something?

It's definitely a career I'm thinking about, but I'm not sure exactly what a teaching focus is

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, the dog is adorable.

To answer you, no. Not every residency requires you to precept; however, it is usually something that is done. The residencies that allow you to teach lectures to PharmD students will help to prepare you for a role as an associate professor at a COP (provided you know someone at a COP that wants to give you a chance only a year out of school). They can also help you in teaching/research facilities/hospitals. So, yes - to all of the above.

When you say it's a career you're thinking about, do you mean academia in a COP or a research/teaching hospital pharmacist position?

Generally it means that you will have plenty of opportunities to interact with students. Not all residencies afford any interaction with students as it is not an ASHP accreditation requirement.

For example, I am at a ~280 bed pediatric teaching institution. We have 3 patient case groups (P1s, P2s, P3s) each semester of about 10-12 students a piece. We also take anywhere from 8-12 students a month on rotation across the hospital. We also teach (PGY2's direct) the Pediatrics didactic lecture at the associated college. We work closely with 7 or 8 full time faculty members at the college who have close ties to our residency and offer a month of Academia. This is all divided between 6 residents.

We do a lot of teaching/co-precepting compared to other residents in the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
This means a deliberate inclusion of Academia related experiences-- the scholarship of teaching and learning, teaching didactic and experiential coursework, scholarly activity (research and publishing), grant writing, exposure to or participation in committees (Assessment, Curriculum, Admissions, etc.), etc. Ideally they would be able to tell you exactly what this means for their particular program. Many programs include precepting-- but this alone does not mean that the program has a focus in Academia. If they tell you "you get to precept," and that's all... then it really isn't Academia.

First of all, the dog is adorable.

To answer you, no. Not every residency requires you to precept; however, it is usually something that is done. The residencies that allow you to teach lectures to PharmD students will help to prepare you for a role as an associate professor at a COP (provided you know someone at a COP that wants to give you a chance only a year out of school). They can also help you in teaching/research facilities/hospitals. So, yes - to all of the above.

When you say it's a career you're thinking about, do you mean academia in a COP or a research/teaching hospital pharmacist position?

Both academia in a COP and in a teaching hospital are appealing to me, it's definitely something I would enjoy doing as a career. I just hope the salaries are competitive!