Academic Dishonesty Bomb PA School Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DerpyDerpinator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to know how badly I messed up for my chance for PA School as I am a freshman who just got an academic dishonesty charge on my school record, but not on my transcript; however, this charge will be disclosed to whatever graduate school I apply, which would most likely be the school I am currently attending since I am on the accelerated PA school track and guaranteed admission if my grades and hours are met. I know that I will have to work extremely hard to make my application look stellar apart from the infraction, but will this completely ruin my chance to go to PA school in the future? I do not think I would be able to have any clemency my way out of the charge as she has already filed the report ready for my signature and I received a 0 for the assessment. I really do regret my actions as it made me consider how dishonest and what I scum I am since I should have not done collusion on a take-home assessment or any assignment as it truly discredits my moral and unfair to my peers in my class, and in the future, I do plan on explaining myself and proving myself of maturity and growth from this stupid mistake. As to make my application the best it can be, I plan on focusing on my GPA, PCE Hours, PA shadowing, and volunteering along with my Personal Statement? Please let me know what you think. How I should respond to this situation? Will PA school be an option for me in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I’d suggest getting a lawyer and looking at your options.

1. Be prepared for the possibility of being removed from the track. You're trying to get into a profession through a route that doesn't really allow for mistakes of this kind.

2. A cheating allegation on your overall resume won't necessarily keep you from getting into PA school. HOWEVER, in the timeframe you're looking to enter PA school, I don't see how someone rehabs that kind of character reflection in such a short period of time.

3. The unaddressed issue with all of this is "why are you even doing an accelerated track?" Being required to complete a Bachelor's in 3 years leaves little time for accumulating meaningful PCE, which is a foundational part of how you'd perform as a PA coming out of school. IMO, forget the accelerated track, get through college in the typical fashion, and give yourself time to gather the healthcare experience that'll help you during the application process.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Be prepared for the possibility of being removed from the track. You're trying to get into a profession through a route that doesn't really allow for mistakes of this kind.

2. A cheating allegation on your overall resume won't necessarily keep you from getting into PA school. HOWEVER, in the timeframe you're looking to enter PA school, I don't see how someone rehabs that kind of character reflection in such a short period of time.

3. The unaddressed issue with all of this is "why are you even doing an accelerated track?" Being required to complete a Bachelor's in 3 years leaves little time for accumulating meaningful PCE, which is a foundational part of how you'd perform as a PA coming out of school. IMO, forget the accelerated track, get through college in the typical fashion, and give yourself time to gather the healthcare experience that'll help you during the application process.

Point 1 and 2 are close to the mark, and I immediately felt the same way when I read what the OP said. I feel like point 3 isn’t pertinent to the reality of pre PAs now days having less and less HCE.

However, with point 1 and 2....
Starting with 1. Indeed, you are on a special track that they allowed you to be on because you showed a lot of promise. You still have promise as a human being, but it wouldn’t be surprising if they alter the agreement. Point 2.... I feel like people can rehab quickly. You probably won’t again do whatever they accused you of doing. But these days in particular, people insist on playing for keeps as much as they always have. Not much has changed. So while you may have rehabbed, they will treat you otherwise. But the extended you an opportunity, and they may end up thinking you disregarded it. But you are a freshman, and school just started, so there’s essentially 4 years ahead of you.

At the very least, I think this incident has a high likelihood of altering the pathway and timeframe you expected to have. So the opportunity to be on a fast track might be off the table. But while it may have messed up a bit of a convenience, you probably aren’t cut off from a good future. It just might take a different route to get where you want to be.

What to do? Go forward and get the best grades you can. Don’t let this stick in your mind as if you have no hope. The correct response to this is to demonstrate excellence, and since you are a freshman, you have so much potential to succeed. It might be that you need to just get your degree and apply to PA school somewhere else. No biggie. And they may not even kick you out of your fast track program.

I feel like point 3 isn’t pertinent to the reality of pre PAs now days having less and less HCE.

I agree that more & more entrants are coming in w/ less experience. In OP's situation, completing the prereq's in the traditional manner potentially allows for more experience and more time to rehab the character perception.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that more & more entrants are coming in w/ less experience. In OP's situation, completing the prereq's in the traditional manner potentially allows for more experience and more time to rehab the character perception.

Exactly. One door may close, another will open.

if someone attended pod school and was dismissed would that affect your chances of getting into PA school? Or a ABSN program.
I don't know why you asked this question 4 times, but of course getting dismissed from one school impacts chances of getting into another. The details as to why make the difference.