Academic Dishonesty--Can I still be a PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firemedic877

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm new to this forum. 10 years ago, I made a documentation mistake, which led to expulsion from a paramedic school. When the board asked me about the details of the incident, I was upfront and honest. I was given a second chance to reapply; however, I took about a year off to reflect and learn from my mistakes. A year later, I went to a paramedic school. Since then, I have been working as Firefighter/Paramedic. I'm looking at a career change from the fire service to becoming a PA. By the time I will apply for a PA program, it will be about 14 years of a gap from my IA. I have learned from my mistake and have grown as a person. I serve as a Firefighter/Paramedic with a lot of integrity; my years in the service has really helped me mature and taught me to take responsibility for my actions. I understand there is a lot of experienced members on this board. What do you guys think of my chances of being accepted into a PA program?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Wrong forum.
I think your chances for PA school are probably fine especially with an event that far removed. If you have a decent GPA and MCAT score and wish to apply to medical school, I think you'd have a shot at MD admissions too given all of the clinical experience.

Wrong forum.
I think your chances for PA school are probably fine especially with an event that far removed. If you have a decent GPA and MCAT score and wish to apply to medical school, I think you'd have a shot at MD admissions too given all of the clinical experience.
Sorry, I posted this under the wrong forum. DNAJB6, thank you for replying back. As much as I love being a firefighter, I just as much love being a paramedic. It will be a dream to practice medicine with a little more autonomy. My program director was kind enough not to report it to the college; hence, I don't have a black blemish on my transcript. It was a learned experience, as a result, I'm a better person today.

Members don't see this ad :)
No record of it. Lots of distance between you and the incident. High quality, long term, gold standard experience in a high trust occupation. Nothing to worry about. Let it out if your mind so it doesn’t weigh you down, and you can move forward after 14 years to do what you want to do.

You’ll probably like being a PA way better than being a firefighter or a paramedic.

No record of it. Lots of distance between you and the incident. High quality, long term, gold standard experience in a high trust occupation. Nothing to worry about. Let it out if your mind so it doesn’t weigh you down, and you can move forward after 14 years to do what you want to do.

You’ll probably like being a PA way better than being a firefighter or a paramedic.
Thank you, pamac. I still look back at my screw up and regret making the mistake. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm going to take the leap of faith and make the transition to PA. I'm hopeful that I will succeed in my goals. Thank you once again for replying back. It means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Thank you, pamac. I still look back at my screw up and regret making the mistake. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm going to take the leap of faith and make the transition to PA. I'm hopeful that I will succeed in my goals. Thank you once again for replying back. It means a lot to me.
No problem. Being a firefighter/paramedic for as long as you have serves as a validation for your character in a pretty big way. Most schools like that sort of thing. Maybe I’m ignorant of the nature of whatever you think you did, but I just don’t see how there is any paper trail. If there is, then I still don’t see any evidence that you have done anything other than make the most of yourself by being a firing line first responder. That’s a role that weeds out most folks that have a blatantly compromised character. I doubt you misdeed will emerge. Am I missing something?

No problem. Being a firefighter/paramedic for as long as you have serves as a validation for your character in a pretty big way. Most schools like that sort of thing. Maybe I’m ignorant of the nature of whatever you think you did, but I just don’t see how there is any paper trail. If there is, then I still don’t see any evidence that you have done anything other than make the most of yourself by being a firing line first responder. That’s a role that weeds out most folks that have a blatantly compromised character. I doubt you misdeed will emerge. Am I missing something?
I would definitely have to mention the IA on the application through CAPSA. There is no record of this on the college transcript. I just hope that my early screw-up won't hinder my chances from becoming a PA. Besides this, I have a clean record: never been fired; great employers' evaluations; volunteer experience in community; established community-oriented programs within the department. If I could go back at tell my younger self, I would have him slow down and be patience. This experience has helped me truly become a better human being. Thank you once again for your feedback. One day I hope to join your rank and provide a high-level patient care.

if someone attended pod school and was dismissed would that affect your chances of getting into PA school? Or a ABSN program.

10 years ago, I made a documentation mistake, which led to expulsion from a paramedic school.
I agree that the incident was far enough in the past and what you've done since then is more relevant and reflects well on you, so it probably won't matter. That said, when you call this incident a "documentation mistake" I feel like you're trying to hide something. I'm struggling to think of what could be bad enough to lead to expulsion yet still be classified as just a documentation mistake.

I agree that the incident was far enough in the past and what you've done since then is more relevant and reflects well on you, so it probably won't matter. That said, when you call this incident a "documentation mistake" I feel like you're trying to hide something. I'm struggling to think of what could be bad enough to lead to expulsion yet still be classified as just a documentation mistake.
No, I’m not trying to hide anything. It was a documentation error, which I shouldn’t have made. I can understand why you think I’m trying to hide something because I didn’t share the entire details on the forum. Thanks for replying back.