Academic neurology residency with mediocre clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hefty_North_2144

Reaction score
Just finished M3 at T30 MSTP/MD-PhD. As the title suggests, didn't do so well during M3 with mostly passes and couple HPs (with a pass on neurology) and now concerned that this is going to hurt my chances at matching high-tier academic neurology programs (UCSF, stanford, hopkins, mgh). The rest of my apps are pretty solid (step1 230s, step2 250s) with very strong research and pubs. Currently working on crushing neuro sub-i and getting strong LoRs. I've heard the top 3-5 programs are super competitive and wanted to get some input on my chances of matching to these programs with poor clinical grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Not neurology but since you aren't getting too much feedback here I'd venture to say neuro is not so competitive (looks like lots of unfilled spots, see below) and you probably have a good shot even at top programs if your research is strong. I'd just really focus on playing up your research, apply to research tracks since that is your strength, and work hard on identifying researchers in your area at each institution and trying to meet with them on your interview days so they can advocate for you in the selection process. Usually people in your own field are predisposed to view you positively vs people whose interests are farther from yours. You could also try setting up a meeting with your dean where you express your concerns and see if they can do anything in the dean's letter to alleviate concerns that you may be an unreliable clinician.

1626611743794.png

With very strong research and pubs, emphasize that your goal is to do do a successful research fellowship and build toward running a research lab. If youre “that person” for them bc youve got the research background, then as long as youre not a liability clinically you may be competitive at top 5 places.