Academic References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does it work trying to get references from past teachers when someone such as my self has been out of college for two years. I never had a teacher more than 1 semester, so I doubt any of them remember my work.

Can a non traditional student get by with only 1 academic reference from a community college organic professor, or should I try to find a teacher that might slightly remember me at my 4 year school even though my major there was accounting?

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will waive the professor LOR requirements if you've been out of school for a while. But are you currently taking CC classes? If you are, you should ask your current professors for LORs.

How does it work trying to get references from past teachers when someone such as my self has been out of college for two years. I never had a teacher more than 1 semester, so I doubt any of them remember my work.

Can a non traditional student get by with only 1 academic reference from a community college organic professor, or should I try to find a teacher that might slightly remember me at my 4 year school even though my major there was accounting?

Teachers know that part of their job is to provide letters. They keep records and will write a letter even though they had a student for only 1 semester. It won't be a great letter, but it will check the box.

I'd try to make up for the weak academic letters by getting some really good ones from your EC's.

A lot of schools will provide a committee letter which is not written by one individual professor but is instead a collective letter drawing on information provided by all your teachers. At my school they interviewed you as a panel about your motivation, qualities etc and used this as the basis to write the letter. It would seem that in your case, such a letter might be advisable.