Academics after PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which of the following academic options is beneficial or efficient after PharmD?

• PhD/ research

• MBA

• Pharmacy board specialties

• MD

Results are only viewable after voting.

Riddley

Reaction score
Which academic options after PharmD are more popular and why?

Members don't see this ad.

Really wide net of a question. Basically, it's a different way of asking why psychology is the most popular undergraduate major in most universities? I also wouldn't consider the BPS an academic option, nor is MD one as that is a completely different career track.

Reactions: 1 users
What do you want to accomplish? Get into further debt? Become a medical doctor and accept that pharmd was a terrible choice?

Back in the day, pharmd=8 jobs upon gradation. Nowadays, it’s what do I do now?

Lol. Thanks Chapman, west coast, kgi, Ketchum, Fresno school, and soon to be AUHS.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What was the point of getting pharmD then?

Reactions: 4 users

Hmm seems like youre just making these posts to ask very vague questions... is it just to provoke a response or are you actually curious? Doesnt sound like youve done any research in your own before initiating the conversation. Where are you in your path? Are you an undergrad or pharm student? Why would you consider a pharmd if youre gonna purse an md? And why do you sound so certain that you can accomplish all these goals? None of these degrees are something that you can just toss around and pursue when you feel like it.

Reactions: 1 user
You keep it going man
You keep those books rolling
You pick up all those books that you're gonna read and not remember
And you roll, man
You get that associate's degree, okay?
Then you get your bachelor's
Then you get your masters
Then you get your masters' masters
Then you get your doctorate
You go man!
And then when everyone says quit
You show them those degrees, man
When everyone says "Hey, you're not working, you're not making any money"
You say "You look at my degrees, and you look at my life
Yeah, I'm 52! So what?
Hate all you want, but I'm smart, I'm so smart
And I'm in school
All these guys out here making money all these ways
And I'm spending mine to be smart!
You know why?
Cause when I die buddy
You know what's gonna keep me warm?
That's right, those degrees."

Hmm seems like youre just making these posts to ask very vague questions... is it just to provoke a response or are you actually curious? Doesnt sound like youve done any research in your own before initiating the conversation. Where are you in your path? Are you an undergrad or pharm student? Why would you consider a pharmd if youre gonna purse an md? And why do you sound so certain that you can accomplish all these goals? None of these degrees are something that you can just toss around and pursue when you feel like it.

Ok guys, let's give this a thought !!! I am assuming this was posted by a Pharmacist (RPh and/or Pharm D) that is looking for an opinion of a career path for advancement. Pharmacy is not what is used to be, as it is all well-known, and a lot of retail Pharmacists, with many years of practice and experience are looking for a way out. Not everyone can openly admit displeasure with the status quo of our profession. Not everyone can admit that there is a concern in our professional future due to the decrease in Pharmacist salary due to excessive number of Pharmacist graduates every year. A lot of pharmacists are looking for over avenues to explore. Pharmacists who have been practicing Pharmacy for 10 years or more are NOT in the same position of new Pharm D graduates, when it comes to applying to Clinical Jobs. With that said, I have to agree, that this post is way too vague and it can certainly be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in many different ways ...

Ok guys, let's give this a thought !!! I am assuming this was posted by a Pharmacist (RPh and/or Pharm D) that is looking for an opinion of a career path for advancement. Pharmacy is not what is used to be, as it is all well-known, and a lot of retail Pharmacists, with many years of practice and experience are looking for a way out. Not everyone can openly admit displeasure with the status quo of our profession. Not everyone can admit that there is a concern in our professional future due to the decrease in Pharmacist salary due to excessive number of Pharmacist graduates every year. A lot of pharmacists are looking for over avenues to explore. Pharmacists who have been practicing Pharmacy for 10 years or more are NOT in the same position of new Pharm D graduates, when it comes to applying to Clinical Jobs. With that said, I have to agree, that this post is way too vague and it can certainly be interpreted (or misinterpreted) in many different ways ...
Yeah OP is looking for a way out. residency and other superfluous degrees are by and large just a form of procrastination trying to avoid the inevitable job hunt. Instead of trying to waste more time and money OP should suck it up and get a job even if it's working at Burger King for 12 USD an hour. A degree doesn't promise anyone a high paying job and more degrees will just make OP more unemployable due to OP making OP over qualified for any basic job.

I highly doubt op is a pharmacist. Or at least doesnt sound like one. No pharmacist with any experience of pharmacy practice would be asking those type of questions.

I would say he or she is a student, if that. Probably not even a pre-pharm student.

If one is truly interested in those then a simple google search would suffice enough to narrow down the possibilities. There is another similarly vague post op made haha

Last edited:
Where is the none of the above option? If one wants to be a pharmacist, then "pharm board specialities" is the only correct answer. If one wants to a different sort of job (business, physician, researcher)....than one should skip the PharmD and just go that career path. If one has regrets in getting their Pharm D, then their is no best beneficial/efficient pathway forward, one must just follow their heart's calling. Why do I sound like a Game of Thrones character?

This post is exactly why pharmacy is a failed profession because most pharmacists have herd/bandwagon mentality and are generally lazy/entitled people. Let’s face it, most of us went into pharmacy thinking that it was a cush job, pays well, flexible career options etc. but evenmoreso because “everyone else is doing it so it must be worthwhile.” Then you get through school and start looking for a job and boom, once you’re on your own outside the confines of academia reality kicks in.

So by asking a question such as “which academic options are most popular after PharmD” what you’re really asking is “how can I jump on the latest bandwagon and secure easy jobs.” I’ll tell you this: no matter what “answers” people give, you’ll be hard pressed when you marry that with the reality of job prospects.

MBA is essentially useless unless you go to IVY league, mainly because of the network that MBA offers.

Ph.D- do not know where my money is coming from. Mostly from Grants

M.D.- Pharm.D could be helpful since you will know the drugs. only do this if you have zero debt and no other commitment issues. I guess the positive better to be in debt as a student, then unemployed as a pharmacist.