Academy meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utdoc05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am a MS4 applying ENT this yr and just had a poster accepted to the academy meeting in september. I am the first author on it. I wanted to know how useful it is to actually attend the meeting versus have someone setup my poster for me? One resident I spoke to said its a great place to network with future interviewers before I head out on interviews and wanted to make sure this truly was the case. As of now I am not sure if the dept would pay for me to go, so I would have to shell out $500+ to go and need to make sure its worth it to do so. Thanks for the advice!

PS - Also if anyone knows of scholarships or alternative means to help poor med students pay to go to conferences, it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I will say I never went as a student so I don't know what activities might be available for you specifically.

However, I think you should talk to the folks at your program. They can help guide you. If you don't have someone interested in introducing you around then you'll walk by a lot of "famous" people but won't have any reason to know it or chat with them. If, however, some of your faculty want to encourage your attendance and introduce you around then it might be worth it.

yea Ill try to talk to some of the faculty here in the coming weeks and get a feel for what their thoughts are, if anyone else has any experiences at the conference I would love to hear about em.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet, I might not be the only student there...

Your med school won't pay for it? I wouldn't expect the ENT department to pay for you to go but I would definitely expect your med school to pay. Contact your office of student affairs or whatever you call it at your school.

To answer your question I don't think it is a huge deal to go to the meeting. Mostly it depends on who you are going with otherwise you are gonna be walking around like a lost child. It will be educational to sit in on all the talks though.

yea that is actually what I was gonna plan on doing this week and I need to verify the faculty/residents going so I wont be a "lost child" at the meeting