Accelerated BSN or Pre-Med PreReqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ra206p

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I got accepted to an accelerated BSN program this fall 2015. Im not sure if I should enroll, or just do 2 more years of med school prereqs?

I got my BA from a foreign country, did 29 credits (so far) in a community college for my accelerated BSN prereqs, have a greencard (but will be naturalized within a year), no student loans, and Im married with no kids. My husband has a job to support our household whatever path I choose.

At first, I was leaning towards being a RN and becoming a CRNA in the future. However, the process to becoming a CRNA is more or less 6 years (2 years RN school, at least 1 year ICU experience, and 3 years CRNA school).

To be a physician, i need to do at least 2 more years of pre-reqs, MCAT, and 4 years med school + years in residency.

I know med school is really, really rigorous and competitive, but i have read that CRNA is also hard and selective. At the end of the day, if i would spend all the time studying, i would rather reap a better reward.

Im 28 and would probably be 31 or 32 before i can matriculate med school (if im lucky).. How hard is the MCAT for non-trad students? Do med schools look down to applicants who took most of their prereqs in a communitu college? I am also concerned about my age, is it too late to pursu medicine? I have been thinking about this and could not decide. Any input is appreciated.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the response.

Also, i have zero clinical / hospital experience. I worked for an american consulting company rigjt after college, and hated it!

I know i wanted to be in the healthcare field, just not sure which route to go.

How many hours of EC / shadowing / volunteering does someone need to be at least competent?

Thank u so much!

It sounds like you haven't done enough research to know whether you want to be a physician or a nurse, much less to know which you want to be more. They are similar jobs, but there are important differences. My wife is a nurse and she would not want to be a physician; on the other hand I am in medical school and I don't think I'd want to be a nurse.

Nursing school isn't just school for people who couldn't get into medical school (although those people do find their way into nursing school sometimes).
Medical school isn't just school for people who wanted more money than what nurses make (although those people find their way into med school frequently).

So take some time, figure out what you really want to do.

Reactions: 2 users