Thoughts On PreReqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPseekingMD

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am currently a pediatric ENT NP with 3 years of working at a private practice under my belt. Since beginning this specialty practice I have become more and more frustrated about the lack of continuity of care that I am able to provide my patients. After diagnosing something that will require surgery, I find it very unfulfilling having to pause my care, send a patient for surgery with one of my docs, then take back over their post op care. Being able to treat patients throughout the entirety of the process is one my primary motivations to pursue medical school with the hope of an ENT residency after.

Some background: 2 bachelors degrees in English, and Speech and Hearing Sciences with 3.85 and 3.97 respectively (R1 school). Masters of science in nursing (ivy league school) 3.8. I say all this because I do not plan to go back to school to take missing prereqs like physics. I have researched about 28 schools that do not have true "required courses" but rather "suggested courses".

My main ask is if there is anyone out there who has gotten into med school without having satisfied the "suggest course" requirements? I understand their utility with respect to the MCAT, but I wanted to hear from folks who might have a similar background who were able to get into med school.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I have researched about 28 schools that do not have true "required courses" but rather "suggested courses".

My main ask is if there is anyone out there who has gotten into med school without having satisfied the "suggest course" requirements? I understand their utility with respect to the MCAT, but I wanted to hear from folks who might have a similar background who were able to get into med school.
When medical schools dropped required courses for competencies, some of them designated "MCAT prep" courses as suggested. They are recommended because they provide the basis for that test as well as the pre-clinical medical school courses. If you do well enough on the MCAT, we won't care.

Getting into an ENT residency is far from guaranteed. I cannot recommend medical school unless one is open to many specialties (including non-surgical).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
When medical schools dropped required courses for competencies, some of them designated "MCAT prep" courses as suggested. They are recommended because they provide the basis for that test as well as the pre-clinical medical school courses. If you do well enough on the MCAT, we won't care.

Getting into an ENT residency is far from guaranteed. I cannot recommend medical school unless one is open to many specialties (including non-surgical).
Thanks so much for the reply. Definitely not considering medical school with an "ENT or bust" mindset. Primarily concerned about spending 6 months preparing for the MCAT, paying for a prep course, paying for applications, informing my attending about my intent to leave...etc, just to find out that I wasnt considered a serious candidate over pre reqs. Otherwise I feel like I am a very well rounded candidate.

Thanks so much for the reply. Definitely not considering medical school with an "ENT or bust" mindset. Primarily concerned about spending 6 months preparing for the MCAT, paying for a prep course, paying for applications, informing my attending about my intent to leave...etc, just to find out that I wasnt considered a serious candidate over pre reqs. Otherwise I feel like I am a very well rounded candidate.
You may want to check that list of 28 against other factors, namely are they OOS publics that don't accept many OOS students, or if their target communities differ from yours (i.e. an HBCU if you are not a URM, etc.). If the number of schools left over ends up being very small (less than 15) then maybe worth reconsidering. MSAR should help detail which schools require which classes.

Reactions: 1 user