Acceptance Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southernexport

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's about time to start a thread for 2007 acceptances. Please post the schools you hear from and the date you hear back from them so everyone can get an idea of when word will filter down.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm with you Southernexport. Will let the forum know when my acceptances roll in :).

Hi,

Thanks for getting this rolling. It will be a useful resource.

For me so far:
Emory, MPH (Health Policy and Managemet) - January 17 - Accepted (I submitted my application in early December)

I will keep the thread up to date as soon as I hear more. Everyone else, please post so we can keep track. It is really helpful knowing the status of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
@KrKra
Are you a domestic applicant or an international?
Coz i also applied for MPH in Emory, and I haven't heard a word from them and i had applied in early november. But guess the delay is becoz i am an international applicant.

@Southernexport
Thanks for starting this wonderful thread. Will surely post my application decisions as and when they come.

Anyone else who has heard from schools for this Fall admission session?

I talked to some people at Johns Hopkins, and each department there meets separately (some multiple times) to consider applications. Some departments have begun sending out acceptance letters, but even the ones that have begun may not have reviewed or made a decision on all applications yet. It sounds like funding decisions are usually made later, in March or so.

I got an email notifying me of admissions to Hopkins last Friday (Feb. 2). Sent my app in late Nov

Got an email today from Health Management at Hopkins saying their admissions committee is meeting next week.

Got accepted via email to columbia Health management and policy - management track - last wednesday(Jan 31).

emory and columbia last week for management- still waiting on the rest but also got the email about hopkins meeting next week.

ya'll let me know where you end up, and how you're going to pay for it! :rolleyes:

can the admitted candidates - post their academic qualifications along with their acceptance information. itcould be more useful for prospective students like me.

profile:
1)I completed my MBBS. with 61% marks on aggregate with no backlogs
2) My toefl score was 263(cbt, with writing 4.0)
3) My gre scores are 1100 (verbal 370, quant 730)

I had also done various research projects in my college, most are them are field based.i also has 1year internship work experience(including 2 months rural work experience background)

admitted till now:

univ of alabama birmingham.

can any one who are in this univ. tell me how good is this university is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi VR82 -

I don't have any personal experience with UAB, but I know they have at least one very good HIV researcher there (Beatrice Hahn). It may not be relevant to you if that's not your field of study, but anyway...

Congrats on the acceptance!

I'm at UAB.
What's your objective?
I assume you're epi. They're really ramping up the program these days, which means its trying to get up and coming professors and trying to get a lot of high value grants coming in, but in my opinion is over-enrolling. It got rid of its integrated core curriculum it had before, and thats a blessing for you.
If you're into international health, its pretty strong here.
the epi dept is also going towards getting a strong genetics and cardiovascular and cancer emphases.
Overall, I'd call it 2nd tier. It's trying hard to become 1st, but who isn't?
If I'm correct in my assumptions, you might be Indian, in which case you'll have tons of company here in the school itself (but little outside of it).
The school turned out to be pretty perfect for me. I chose it over my finalists I narrowed down between it, Tulane (whew, dodged that bullet!) and Minnesota. Minnesota was much more established, but rigid. Here I got involved in this really cool new colloboration with NASA and I will likely even continue for a PhD here with NASA funding me, so it's been good to me.

I know it's not an acceptance (quite yet) but I'm excited because I got invited up for a Visit Day at Michigan!! (AspiringDoctor if you're still around I got some questions for ya)

spoke with them today, they're supposedly deciding and alerting people on Monday. Best of luck to anyone with an application out there.

got into hopkins management yesterday. good luck everyone

profile:
1)I completed my MBBS. with 61% marks on aggregate with no backlogs
2) My toefl score was 263(cbt, with writing 4.0)
3) My gre scores are 1100 (verbal 370, quant 730)

I had also done various research projects in my college, most are them are field based.i also has 1year internship work experience(including 2 months rural work experience background)

admitted till now:

univ of alabama birmingham.

can any one who are in this univ. tell me how good is this university is?

Congrats Venu for your acceptance. I had also applied to UAB, but have not heard a word from them. How did they inform you? - Mail, email or phone?
Which concentration have to applied for in UAB?

actually, i called the environmental health sciences department, they told me that i was admitted into the program. they said they would forward it to graduate department and they will send me the admission letter.i was yet to receive I 20 ( in fact official confirmation too).

i applied for MPH in environmental health sciences.

actually, i called the environmental health sciences department, they told me that i was admitted into the program. they said they would forward it to graduate department and they will send me the admission letter.i was yet to receive I 20 ( in fact official confirmation too).

i applied for MPH in environmental health sciences.

Thanks Venu for the info. Actually my SOPHAS page still shows up as decision pending for UAB? Wonder what they are upto? Guess will write an email to them about it.
I have also applied for Environmental Health Sciences at UAB.

What do you guys wanna do at UAB env health. I've taken a class there with a seemingly well-respected prof that deals whose specialty is environmental disasters. I think a lot of their cirriculum is oriented towards toxicology and such.
However, they also have colloborators in international health from that dept.

in at the Johns Hopkins Health Management program by phone today.

hello everyone!
have joined in recently and went throu your threads.you guys are really helpfull.
my profile:
Bachelor of Dental Science:61%(2000-2005)
1 year social work experience in NGO
GRE:1190
TOEFL:109

I intend to apply for MPH with great scholarship oppurtunities.My criterias are
1)good scholarship
2)good concentration area(which fetches me good job salary)
Really looking forward for help from you guys.have applied to csu and etsu till now.
regards
miss arien

Southern Export...did you call Hopkins or vica-versa? Anybody hear from any of the Yale programs, especially Management yet? Good Luck!

Congrats Southernexport on your acceptance at Hopkins. Gmp263, I haven't heard from Yale yet. Wish you luck!

Thanks for the congrats.

Hopkins called me and left a voicemail said a letter would come in a couple of weeks.

Haven't heard from Yale management yet either. Last contact I had was 2 maybe 3 weeks ago when I called to ask whether to send an updated gpa/class rank from fall semester. They said no, it would push my file back into the pile, and that admissions committee was meeting the next week.

The other program I applied to is Harvard's law and public health program, so any news from/about them is appreciated or news from Harvard getting back to people in general.

Here is my updated admissions information:

Hopkins - MPH/MBA dual degree - Accepted
GW - MPH health promotion - Accepted

I am still waiting on Yale and Harvard so thanks for the updates on Yale!

Ha..I only applied to a few schools and 3 of them were GW, Hopkins, and Yale.

my first post here!
ive gotten into GW and Emory and am still waiting to hear from Yale.

Of the three schools, can anyone give me insight into which would be the best? I am leaning towards Emory

my first post here!
ive gotten into GW and Emory and am still waiting to hear from Yale.

Of the three schools, can anyone give me insight into which would be the best? I am leaning towards Emory

Which program at GW?

Hey!
Just wondering if anyone has applied also to PhD programs in public health, and...if you have heard anything (anything, anything?) yet? Or, if you just want to commiserate about the Great Wait, that's fine, too.
Many thanks!

the new public health communication and marketing program.

in at UC Berkeley School of Public Health MPH in Epidemiology/Biostatistics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in at UC Berkeley School of Public Health MPH in Epidemiology/Biostatistics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just interested ( I mean need to compare myself). Cal is definitely my first choice. What are your stats GPA, GRE etc?

lilybart, i'm applying to phd at uab and only at uab.

accepted till now : univ of alabama birmingham (env health sciences)
univ of massachusetts amherst (env health sciences)

I called Cal Berkeley Social and Behavioral sciences today and they told me over the phone that I was denied admissions for the following reasons: Not enough experience (I have about 1.5 years of post-undergrad experience) and an unfocused personal statement.

Stats: GPA ~ 3.2 from U. Chicago
GRE ~ 650V, 790Q, 4.5AW

I figured people would probably want to know this kind of stuff so here it is

I called Cal Berkeley Social and Behavioral sciences today and they told me over the phone that I was denied admissions for the following reasons: Not enough experience (I have about 1.5 years of post-undergrad experience) and an unfocused personal statement.

Stats: GPA ~ 3.2 from U. Chicago
GRE ~ 650V, 790Q, 4.5AW

I figured people would probably want to know this kind of stuff so here it is

Did they say that they have sent all their acceptances out already?

Accepted to Yale (Biostatistics) today via mail. Letter was dated 13th Feb. Invited to an open house on March 30th.

Stats:
GRE 770Q 660V 6.0A
GPA 3.8
2-3 years work experience in clinical research organisations

Best of luck to everyone :)

Katkin, congrats to you and to all the forthcoming Yale acceptees! Your stats are amazing! You will probably get into every school you applied to.

Hi all
I have applied for MPH in epi for fall 07 and these are my stats ,I have not received any responses from the schools.

M.B.B.S -( Bachelors in Medicine) -No backlogs 76% aggregate with 8 gold medals
2 years experience in a HIV/AIDS prevention program
GRE : 1300 ( Verbal -570 & Quant - 730)
Proir clinical experience in Cardiology at US hopsitals

Please let me know what the chances are and info on acceptance letters

Thanks & Good luck to all ...:)

In at Yale Health Management by mail. 2 down, Harvard to go... could be a long couple of weeks, since it looks like Harvard's been early March last couple of years. I was optimistic about Hopkins and Yale, but Harvard less so.

In at Yale Health Management by mail. 2 down, Harvard to go... could be a long couple of weeks, since it looks like Harvard's been early March last couple of years. I was optimistic about Hopkins and Yale, but Harvard less so.

Congrats to you Southernexport! :thumbup:

UMich - Int'l Epi - phone call Feb 5
Berkeley - Epi/Stat - email Feb 7
UWashington - Epi - email Feb 12

still waiting on Harvard, yale, columbia, and hopkins...and i can't check my snail mail until next weekend since i'm away GAH

For all those Harvard applicants...which program did you apply to? When I talked to admissions and they said that they may send out acceptances by February...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the end of next week!

has any one been to univ of massachusetts amherst (env health sciences)? can any USA student tell me how good is this univ.? is it better than UAB?

Maiden thanks for the support for everyone on the board. We're pulling for you to get yours.

Poppy. I applied to the Law and Public Health program at Harvard. Your news is interesting. I'm going to keep myself pessimistic for the interim, but an early email from them [their usual mode of acceptance] would be a pleasant surprise to say the least.

I got into Yale Health Management yesterday. Just waiting on Harvard (I applied to their MS in Health Policy and Management their since I did not have the credentials to apply for their MPH (no prior doctoral degree, master's etc.)

I applied to Society, Human Development, and Health. Geez, I am getting really nervous, but I have repeatedly told myself that I would not be sad if I did get rejected. I also did not realize that they notify through email. Great, now I'll be anxious to check my email! Well, good luck to all of us waiting and congrats to all those who have recieved acceptances so far! :)