Acceptance to new DO school vs Acceptance Pending a Seat for established school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeyroad

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate to have been accepted to more than one school after 3 cycles and I am very grateful! One of the schools I have been accepted to is the new RVU-MCOM, where I would be part of the inaugural class of 2027. The other DO school is ATSU-KCOM, where I was recently placed on the APS list, so I wouldn't be attending until next year 2024 unless a seat opened up. I could see myself enjoying and doing well at both schools, however I do like the idea of attending a more established school for various reasons, with the most notable reason being private loans vs federal. I don't necessarily want to wait a year, due to loss of future salary and because I am 29, but I know going to an established school has many benefits as well that might make it worth it.

What is some advice and/or thoughts you guys have on a situation like this? Do the pros of waiting significantly outweigh the cons or vice versa? I know it is complex and ultimately my decision, but wanted to get some feedback! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am very fortunate to have been accepted to more than one school after 3 cycles and I am very grateful! One of the schools I have been accepted to is the new RVU-MCOM, where I would be part of the inaugural class of 2027. The other DO school is ATSU-KCOM, where I was recently placed on the APS list, so I wouldn't be attending until next year 2024 unless a seat opened up. I could see myself enjoying and doing well at both schools, however I do like the idea of attending a more established school for various reasons, with the most notable reason being private loans vs federal. I don't necessarily want to wait a year, due to loss of future salary and because I am 29, but I know going to an established school has many benefits as well that might make it worth it.

What is some advice and/or thoughts you guys have on a situation like this? Do the pros of waiting significantly outweigh the cons or vice versa? I know it is complex and ultimately my decision, but wanted to get some feedback! Thank you!
You could even be accepted for this year in ATSU-KCOM, and of the 2 schools it is well established and will serve you better

Reactions: 1 users
I would not advise taking out private loans when you have the option for federal ones (either in 2024 or this year as wysdoc pointed out). It would be best to avoid a new school, especially with MT having a competing school in Touro's new branch campus (as well as the WWAMI sites for UW).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is “acceptance pending a seat” different than a WL? Isn’t that precisely what a WL is for?
A handful of schools use this phrase meaning a top rank on the WL
ATSU-KCOM has additionally told those with this APS message that if no seats open up now, they will be automatically given a spot in next year’s class.

Yes the private loans are the main thing I am worried about. I will probably choose ATSU-KCOM, cause there is also a chance I get accepted this year still. Thank you!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi friend! This was me! I was accepted at Noorda-COM and APS at WCUCOM, I got off at WCUCOM and am now going there! Federal loans just offer so much flexibility IMO

Reactions: 4 users
Hi friend! This was me! I was accepted at Noorda-COM and APS at WCUCOM, I got off at WCUCOM and am now going there! Federal loans just offer so much flexibility IMO
Ya that was my thought process too! I figure one year isn't too bad especially when private loans are minimum 2% higher in interest rates and less secure! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this conundrum haha! I also may get off for this year so it's kind of a win-win.

Ya that was my thought process too! I figure one year isn't too bad especially when private loans are minimum 2% higher in interest rates and less secure! I'm glad I wasn't the only one with this conundrum haha! I also may get off for this year so it's kind of a win-win.
honestly income based repayment and PSLF is just too good to pass up, best of luck!

honestly income based repayment and PSLF is just too good to pass up, best of luck!
Idk anyone with private loans but did they a qualify for the covid deferment? That would be another upside if another global pandemic happens lol

Idk anyone with private loans but did they a qualify for the covid deferment? That would be another upside if another global pandemic happens lol
thats a good question honestly, I don't think so?

another way to frame it is that if you take ATSU's 1 year deferment placement deal, you have a whole year to do whatever you wanna do whether it be work or study something or anything before settling down to an established school with federal loans

yes, you'd be losing a year of physician salary but you'd be spending the year in a valuable manner plus i rather wait a year to get potentially forgivable loans with lower interest rate. now if noorda were your only acceptance, i'd say take it and run but you got a good alternative here

you'd be losing a year of physician salary but you'd be spending the year in a valuable manner plus i rather wait a year to get potentially forgivable loans with lower interest rate. now if noorda were your only acceptance, i'd say take it and run but you got a good alternative here
I can +1 this. Income to debt is important to consider.

Hi! I am so glad I found this post. I am in the same situation but with CHSU COM as my new school option and I am 27 . Can I ask if you got off the APS list at KCOM or if you decided to wait the year?

As someone mentioned, if CHSU were my only choice I'd take it but having KCOM as an alternative which is well established and has good connections I am tempted to just wait another year, work for until the end of 2023 and travel the rest of the time.

Hi! I am so glad I found this post. I am in the same situation but with CHSU COM as my new school option and I am 27 . Can I ask if you got off the APS list at KCOM or if you decided to wait the year?

As someone mentioned, if CHSU were my only choice I'd take it but having KCOM as an alternative which is well established and has good connections I am tempted to just wait another year, work for until the end of 2023 and travel the rest of the time.
Hi! Yes, I was fortunate to get off the aps list for KCOM this year. Though I would've waited a year if needed. Like you said I felt KCOM offered me better opportunities going forward and was a better fit for me overall. Plus private loans vs federal was a huge selling point for me. Good luck on your decision and congratulations!

Reactions: 3 users