Acceptances for Class of 2015!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello!
Congrats on your acceptance!!

Did you hear back from ICO? What did you think of the interview? Do you have any suggestions?

-Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Thank you OptoHope.
Yes, I heard back from ICO a week or two after my interview and received my acceptance.

The interview is nothing to be too stressed about. Trust me. Formalities in the morning, review of your file, meet and greet w current students and a tour of the school and clinics.

Your interview will be one on one with a faculty member, open file. Other than the typical why optometry and why ICO type questions, the interview was really a time to chit chat...they really just want to get to know you.

Oh, there is also a one page essay during your interview day. Very rough draft on what you can bring to their school, the profession, etc.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

for anyone who has already interviewed with SUNY for class of 2015 - any words of advice and what was your impression of the interview itself?? I'm a little nervous as to what to expect and the interview feedback thread is from several years ago, nothing recent. thanks!!!!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/16
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):
NSUOCO, UMSL
Date Interview Scheduled:
NSUOCO 11/22, didn't schedule w/ UMSLPCO and UIWSO wanted me to send in my new OAT scores first, I had a reserved test date)
Accepted (indicate school attending): NSUOCO

OAT/GPA: TS 280 /AA 300 Undergrad 3.36/post-bac 3.4
Extracurricular: food drives, habitat for humanity, charity runs, pre-opt club, vice-president of a school club that my friends and I made that did various charities in the neighborhood, shadowed 2 different optometrists and work w/ one (been a little over a year now), military (going on 7.5 yrs), and got a Bac of Fine Arts

I know my OAT scores are really low and actually already paid to retake my OAT but I got into the school that I wanted so =).

Members don't see this ad :)
Date submitted to OptomCAS: 09/08/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO, NOVA, ICO, PCO, UAB
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (11/19), NOVA (12/3), ICO (12/13), PCO (12/16), UAB (Cancelled)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (11/30), NOVA (12/13), PCO (12/19), ICO (12/20)
OAT: TS:320 AA:310 (sub 300 in Organic Chem, but never took class)
GPA: 3.96
Extracurricular: 4 year collegiate athlete (soccer), tutor, several academic honors and groups/programs at school, about 100 hours (over 110 patients) with three optometrists at two offices

I've been accepted to all four schools! All the schools have a lot to offer and I am going to have to make a tough decision. As of right now, it is looking like I will accept SCO. The city wasn't too bad (Beale Street was pretty fun), I loved the facilities and clinic, and I know I will get a great education. Oh, and I have been rewarded a $3000 scholarship for each year, which doesn't hurt ;)

If anyone has any questions on the schools or the interviews, feel free to ask on here or PM me.

Last edited:
Date submitted to OptomCAS: 10/16/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PUCO, SCO, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (12/3), PUCO (1/14),PCO (1/18, cancelled), IUSO, OSU, and UHCO (withdrew application)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (12/7)
OAT: TS 350 AA 350...390 on Ochem...a serious fluke, haha!
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular: 45 hour of shadowing, a lot of other things, but not too many.

Still waiting on the whole Pacific U interivew, will glady go to SCO if not accepted at PUCO. If accepted at both...I'm going to lose a lot of sleep deciding. :D

Just curious if anyone knows this...I received an acceptance for NECO and in the letter it mentioned that I should maintain my level of consistency with my grades.. any idea what this means? Is there a lot of leeway or do they basically want me to stay exactly where I am? Any input would be great!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 11-23-10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (12/6)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO

OAT/GPA: 330/3.0
Extracurricular: Shadowed several different optometrists in different settings, as well as VT. Over 70+ hours total.

Everyone I met at SCO was great. They are all extremely friendly and easy to talk to. The Eye Center is also very impressive. I don't plan on interviewing at any of other schools I applied to after visiting SCO.

for anyone who has already interviewed with SUNY for class of 2015 - any words of advice and what was your impression of the interview itself?? I'm a little nervous as to what to expect and the interview feedback thread is from several years ago, nothing recent. thanks!!!!

heyy raniah...the interview isnt bad at all. you have to write a 20 min essay and then they interview you 3 on 1 but the interviewers were all really nice!.pretty standard questions, like why you want to do optometry, what you do in school, etc etc. i think i was more stressed than i ought to be.

oh and the point of this thread.....
Date submitted to OptomCAS: 10/1
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SUNY
Date Interview Scheduled: 11/23
Accepted (indicate school attending):
SUNY

OAT/GPA: 370 AA/400 TS GPA: 3.73
Extracurricular: shadowed 4 optometrists, piano accompanist, tutoring

hey sakuraWT thanks for the advice!! Just had my interview on Monday and I'm accepted!!! Guess I'll be seeing you in fall!!! :)

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 9/1
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, NECO, SUNY
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO 11/10, NECO 11/12, SUNY 12/14
Accepted (indicate school attending): PCO, NECO, SUNY
** Attending: SUNY!

OAT/GPA: 350 AA/360 TS GPA: 3.74
Extracurricular: volunteered as a mentor for The Fresh Air Fund, team leader for other volunteer projects as a member of NYCARES, Shadowed 4-5 optometrists - one general, and the others were all specialties such as vision therapy, ocular disease, pediatrics.

**JUST WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTES TO ALL THESE POSTS ON STUDENTDOCTOR.NET BECAUSE IT TRULY HELPED ME WITH THIS APPLICATION PROCESS AND GAVE ME HOPE!!** GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: December 1
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): SCO: December 8, OSU asked me to fill out their supplemental, but I am declining because I was accepted to SCO. I'm still waiting on UCBSO!
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO: December 15
Accepted (indicate school attending): accepted to SCO... I will definitely go to SCO if I do not get accepted to Berkeley, but If I do, it will be a VERY tough decision!

OAT/GPA: AA: 330 TS: 340/ GPA: 3.80

Extracurricular: Shadowed total of 4 optometrists at one retail setting, one private practice. Involved (officer) in pre-optometry club during undergrad. Worked as a math tutor on campus. Volunteered at local food bank and at my friends' church, making meals for students.

Last edited:
wow. optomcas got your stuff together fast. congrats!

i submitted on the 12th and they haven't calculated my gpa yet (or forwarded the app to any schools obviously).

yeah optomcas wasn't really that fast for me. they just now calculated my GPA and sent my stuff to the other schools... somehow SCO had accessed my file and asked me to scan/email my unofficial OAT scores before they had received my actual ones, and since they had all the info, they asked me to come for an interview and everything else just happened to fall into place quickly. :) good luck to you DellGirl!

yeah optomcas wasn't really that fast for me. they just now calculated my GPA and sent my stuff to the other schools... somehow SCO had accessed my file and asked me to scan/email my unofficial OAT scores before they had received my actual ones, and since they had all the info, they asked me to come for an interview and everything else just happened to fall into place quickly. :) good luck to you DellGirl!

interesting.. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

i'm going to apply jul 2011...but i didnt know that optomcas doesn't calculate your gpa immediately? can someone explain to me what GPAs they calculate (i've checked the site), and what they "send" to opt schools?

i'm going to apply jul 2011...but i didnt know that optomcas doesn't calculate your gpa immediately? can someone explain to me what GPAs they calculate (i've checked the site), and what they "send" to opt schools?

Well you send the transcripts to OptomCAS and they calculate your cumulative GPA based on the grades and credit hours on your transcript. They also specifically calculate your Biology, Physics, and Chemistry (science) GPA, as well as your non-science GPA. This takes them a few weeks, but once they complete these calculations and verify your entered coursework, they will forward everything to the schools to which you are applying. Once the schools receive your file, they will contact you. It's a lot of waiting... but it gives you a little break to forget about the application process once you finally finish everything and submit it all.

Hope that helps!

I see a lot of "open file" and "closed file" interviews, but I'm still not sure what that means. Since you guys have been at the interviews, could anyone explain what that means??? Thanks so much!:scared:

Well you send the transcripts to OptomCAS and they calculate your cumulative GPA based on the grades and credit hours on your transcript. They also specifically calculate your Biology, Physics, and Chemistry (science) GPA, as well as your non-science GPA. This takes them a few weeks, but once they complete these calculations and verify your entered coursework, they will forward everything to the schools to which you are applying. Once the schools receive your file, they will contact you. It's a lot of waiting... but it gives you a little break to forget about the application process once you finally finish everything and submit it all.

Hope that helps!

When people post their GPA here, if they do not specify, then what GPA are they talking about??

I see a lot of "open file" and "closed file" interviews, but I'm still not sure what that means. Since you guys have been at the interviews, could anyone explain what that means??? Thanks so much!:scared:

to be blunt and simple, open file means that they have access to your file; the personal statement, optomcas, supplemental essays, supplemental application, etc.. closed file means that they know nothing about you, i.e., the interviewers go in there with a blank slate.

When people post their GPA here, if they do not specify, then what GPA are they talking about??

Well I obviously can't speak for everyone else, but I put my cumulative down. I'm assuming unless people specify that it's their science GPA it's probably their cumulative undergrad...again, I can't talk for anybody but myself.

Last edited:
to be blunt and simple, open file means that they have access to your file; the personal statement, optomcas, supplemental essays, supplemental application, etc.. closed file means that they know nothing about you, i.e., the interviewers go in there with a blank slate.

@ samstown! Thanks so much! that was helpful!!!!

I don't mind open file or closed file then...as long as I can still get into shcool!!!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: July
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name):
Date Interview Scheduled: Before Thanksgiving
PCO Salus

hi guys im a little confused on what school i should go to.....? which is a better school? NOVA or PCO? which school has a harder curriculum?

Date submitted to OptomCAS: October 28, 2010
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA
Date Interview Scheduled: January 7th, 2011
Accepted (indicate school attending): NOVA

OAT/GPA: AA: 340, TS: 370 / GPA: 2.9 (upward trend, 3.7+ for my senior year)
Extracurricular: Worked full-time as an optometric assistant during the summer, shadowing various optometrists in the clinic from time to time. Also volunteered for an optometrist for a couple days at a pre-school screening. In my undergrad, I was involved with academic tutoring, teaching violin, and being vice-president of the breakdancing club for three years.

It looks like a bunch of you interviewed at SCO in December. Can you please fill out the Interview Feedback?

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 09/02/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PCO, ICO, SCCO and SUNY
Date Interview Scheduled: PCO-10/20, ICO-11/8, SCCO-11/13 (afternoon) and SUNY 12/6
PCO, ICO, SCCO. Undecided (but leaning toward SCCO as of right now, will know for sure after I interview with SUNY)
OAT/GPA: TS 320, AA 310/ Undergrad GPA 3.57
Extracurricular: observed about 6 optometrists for a day each, worked for a private practicing optometrist for one summer and took part in optometry related volunteer work. Also a member of a clinical society. Worked hours equivalent to a full-time job

Very surprised to receive an invite to interview (let alone an acceptance!), just because my OAT scores weren't very strong (I scored below a 300 in two sub sections). Before going into this process, my only goal was to be accepted to at least 1 school. I've been told by all my interviewers or by the file reviewer that my recommendations were very strong (they emphasized the word very strong). One interviewer even told me that when I go back home, I should thank my recommenders again. So just goes to show that some schools do look at the overall application and not just numbers :)

Thought i'd give an update since the last time i've been here... In addition to those interviews above, I was invited to interview at NECO on 1/21 (which I decided to attend since I live close by and wanted to check out the school since i've never been there anyways). So now that I've interviewed and heard from all schools... I can now say that i'm done with the interview process and deciding which school to attend!

I was accepted to all five schools. Absolutely surprised SUNY didn't reject me or ask me to retake my OAT, since it seems like SUNY is notorious for requesting that. The interview committee did spend a good amount of time asking me about my OAT. So now I'm stuck between SUNY or SCCO (i already declined my acceptances from the other 3)

...If location was the only factor, I would definitely pack my bags for socal since i'm so sick of these blizzards in the northeast! Lol

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 10/16/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PUCO, SCO, PCO
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO (12/3), PUCO (1/14),PCO (1/18, cancelled), IUSO, OSU, and UHCO (withdrew application)
Accepted (indicate school attending): SCO (12/7)
OAT: TS 350 AA 350...390 on Ochem...a serious fluke, haha!
GPA: 3.3
Extracurricular: 45 hour of shadowing, a lot of other things, but not too many.

Still waiting on the whole Pacific U interivew, will glady go to SCO if not accepted at PUCO. If accepted at both...I'm going to lose a lot of sleep deciding. :D

Going to Pacific...anyone else headed out there?

Going to Pacific...anyone else headed out there?

I have your stats and if i get accepted to both SCO and PUCO, i will have sleepless nights, deciding which one to attend :confused:
SCO is much cheaper though!!!!!!!!

I have your stats and if i get accepted to both SCO and PUCO, i will have sleepless nights, deciding which one to attend :confused:
SCO is much cheaper though!!!!!!!!

Yea, cost is something to consider, but it came down to a $5-6k/year and wasn't a big enough factor for me (joining the Navy or Air Force anyway). I'm from the Pacific NW and Portland is LIGHT YEARS cooler than Memphis. MS/OD degree isn't an option at SCO (which was big for me). PM me if you want more of my opinion on the PUCO vs. SCO mental throwdown.

this is probably a very stupid question, but since its 2011 right now and the optomcas doesnt come out till summer, how are people applying for 2015 cycle?

this is probably a very stupid question, but since its 2011 right now and the optomcas doesnt come out till summer, how are people applying for 2015 cycle?

People are not applying for 2015 cuz no such a thing exists till summer 2015.Who told you that :cool:

I think you might mean the 'class of 2015'...

Ohhhhhhh, if you meant for the CLASS of 2015, then you need to apply before the March 1st deadline ends, like you should be doing it now.

Date submitted to OptomCAS:
July 15, 2010
School applied to:
ICO
Interview date scheduled:
January 24, 2011
Accepted:
January 31, 2011
OAT:
GPA:
Extracurricular:
Started pre-optometry club in undergrad, worked at lenscrafters for over two years
Extra notes:
Graduated one year early in undergrad with health science degree and did MPH and MBA in the following year

Date submitted to OptomCAS:
July 15, 2010
School applied to:
ICO
Interview date scheduled:
January 24, 2011
Accepted:
January 31, 2011
OAT:
GPA:
Extracurricular:
Started pre-optometry club in undergrad, worked at lenscrafters for over two years
Extra notes:
Graduated one year early in undergrad with health science degree and did MPH and MBA in the following year

So ICO finally sent you your letter eh :D
Congrats

Date submitted to OptomCAS: September 10thish?
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UCBerkeley, SUNY, SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UCBO 2/5/2011, SUNY 11/19, SCCO 1/23
Accepted (indicate school attending): SUNY, SCCO, pending decision from UCBO
OAT/GPA: TS 390/AA 390, 3.90 GPA
Extracurricular: shadowed optometrists, one ophthalmologist, worked in many clinics and am manager of clinic now, pre-optometry club, various school orgs, sports, etc

Date submitted to OptomCAS: September -october
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Puco, UMSL, SCO, Indiana
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO oct, PUCO oct, IU Nov, UMSL Dec
Accepted (indicate school attending): PUCO (attending), UMSL, IU. on hold at SCO b/c they wanted more shadowing
OAT/GPA: TS 330/AA 330, 3.6 ish GPA
Extracurricular: not much at all, shadow 40 hours, eagle scout, chem club.

I am from illinois and it was a hard decision between UMSL and PUCO. UMSL was hard to turn down because of very close proximity and also was much cheaper. I decided on PUCO because i loved my visit, i love that its not in a city, and I really like their programs, staff, and philosophy.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 1/1/11, optom got my stuff together by 1/5/11 amazingly!
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, PCO, NECO ( didn't finish supplemental apps for I
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO 2/11/11 PCO 2/22/11 NOVA 4/5/11
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, notified me 4 days later. Did not have interview @ PCO yet but that is my first choice.
OAT: TS:330 AA:320
GPA: 3.34 (majored in bio and minored in chem)
Extracurricular: 1 year working as a tech, president of international relations club in undergrad, community orchestra as undergrad, 1 month internship in france doing bio research.

Does anyone know how fast PCO responds? I was extremely impressed with NECO and will gladly go there, however they only gave me 15 days to send my response. My PCO interview isn't until the 22nd and I'm worried that I won't get a response there in time. :scared:

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 1/1/11, optom got my stuff together by 1/5/11 amazingly!
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, PCO, NECO ( didn't finish supplemental apps for I
Date Interview Scheduled: NECO 2/11/11 PCO 2/22/11 NOVA 4/5/11
Accepted (indicate school attending): NECO, notified me 4 days later. Did not have interview @ PCO yet but that is my first choice.
OAT: TS:330 AA:320
GPA: 3.34 (majored in bio and minored in chem)
Extracurricular: 1 year working as a tech, president of international relations club in undergrad, community orchestra as undergrad, 1 month internship in france doing bio research.

Does anyone know how fast PCO responds? I was extremely impressed with NECO and will gladly go there, however they only gave me 15 days to send my response. My PCO interview isn't until the 22nd and I'm worried that I won't get a response there in time. :scared:

PCO responded to me via e-mail within three days. NECO also - once I had declined my acceptance there - just sent me a letter saying if I reconsidered that I could let them know. They just want to get your $500 in the system ASAP. NECO's $500 Deposit is non-refundable whereas PCO's you get $400/500 back, FYI.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: September -october
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): Puco, UMSL, SCO, Indiana
Date Interview Scheduled: SCO oct, PUCO oct, IU Nov, UMSL Dec
Accepted (indicate school attending): PUCO (attending), UMSL, IU. on hold at SCO b/c they wanted more shadowing
OAT/GPA: TS 330/AA 330, 3.6 ish GPA
Extracurricular: not much at all, shadow 40 hours, eagle scout, chem club.

I am from illinois and it was a hard decision between UMSL and PUCO. UMSL was hard to turn down because of very close proximity and also was much cheaper. I decided on PUCO because i loved my visit, i love that its not in a city, and I really like their programs, staff, and philosophy.
More for the PUCO crew!

Date submitted to OptomCAS: Nov 21
Applied to: SCCO, WesternU, AZCOPT, ICO, NOVA
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): AZCOPT, ICO, NOVA
Date Interview Scheduled: Declined, Feb 8, Feb 11
Accepted (indicate school attending): ICO, NOVA
Attending: ICO

OAT/GPA: 320, 3.3
Extracurricular:
Director of Media Relations - automotive corp.
Retail manager 6 years
QC/QA tech - engineering quality dept.
various small awards
exc. refs
shadowing
blah, blah...

congrats to all! :D

Date submitted to OptomCAS: December 31st 2010
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PUCO, NECO, PCO (all I applied to)
Date Interview Scheduled: PUCO February 11th
Accepted (indicate school attending): PUCO February 18th. Cancelling all other interviews, Pacific is my top choice school!

OAT/GPA: 400TS,370AA / 3.4gpa
Extracurricular: Pretester part time for 4 years, 30 hours shadowing (at the same clinic I pretest at), recreational sports. I'm not the best with extracurriculars cause I tend to be a bit of a studyholic, but I still know how to have fun :)

Congratulations to everyone else who has been admitted! I've been stressing out about getting in for years, so never lose hope! Sometimes hard work does pay off.

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 11/30/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): 12/16/10 for NSUOCO
Date Interview Scheduled: first scheduled for 2/3, had to be rescheduled twice due to snow, finally done on 2/14/11
Accepted (indicate school attending): 2/17/11 NSUOCO!

OAT/GPA: 330/3.9
Extracurricular: shadowed an optometrist for ~6 months, then hired on PT doing lens edging and tinting, working full time for a veterinarian for 5 years, B.S. in Biology, minor in business....

Date submitted to OptomCAS: 12/30/10
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): UHCO, SCO, ICO, SCCO
Date Interview Scheduled: UHCO (2/25), SCO (3/25, cancelled), SCCO (3/12, cancelled), ICO(cancelled),

Accepted (indicate school attending): UHCO (2/25)

OAT: TS 370 AA 370 My result of a two month ban of alcohol and partying ;)

GPA: 3.18

Extracurricular: Student organizations ranging from pre-optometry to dance troupes.

I couldn't believe I was accepted on the spot. I definitely want to thank the SDN community. Your advice was incredibly helpful in my app process!!!!

Yea, cost is something to consider, but it came down to a $5-6k/year and wasn't a big enough factor for me (joining the Navy or Air Force anyway). I'm from the Pacific NW and Portland is LIGHT YEARS cooler than Memphis. MS/OD degree isn't an option at SCO (which was big for me). PM me if you want more of my opinion on the PUCO vs. SCO mental throwdown.

I am in the same boat, if I end up being accepted to SCO after my recent interview. Already accepted to PUCO and so impressed by both schools.

Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): NOVA, UIW, WesternU (Declined), PUCO (Declined), SCO (Declined)
Date Interview Scheduled: NOVA: 2/25/11, UIW 3/25/11
Accepted: NOVA 3/7/11, UIW 3/31/11
Attending NOVA

OAT/GPA: AA: 300, TS: 300 / GPA: 3.25 (started school 10 years ago and stopped going so I have like 2-3 F's on my transcript).
Extracurricular: Worked 10 years in optical. Everything from a wholesale lab to multiple optical places. Was also a lab manager of a visionworks. Worked as opto tech and did vision acuities etc.

Last edited:
Date submitted to OptomCAS: November 11, 2010 (but I didn't take the OAT until early January 2011)
Interview Invitation Extended for (school name): PUCO
Date Interview Scheduled: February 11, 2011
Accepted (indicate school attending): February 18, 2011

OAT/GPA: AA: 350 TS: 340 GPA: 3.73
Extracurricular: President of a club, on-campus research, 30+ hours of shadowing, nothing too amazing!

I am still waiting to hear back from my SCO interview, which I think went well. And, I have an interview scheduled at SCCO. I loved SCO but I think PUCO has won out. Unless SCCO completely steals my heart, its PUCO!! :D It feels good to finally be sure (well, 99% sure haha) of where I'll be in the fall.

MX, why puco? Feel free to PM me. I just got an interview invite today from there!