Accepted, but should I apply again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you do?

• Enroll fall 2016

• Reapply for fall 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

PNWMed2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

First, I am very thankful for this forum and all the support students and doctors are able to provide to prepare the next generation of physicians. As I've seen many of you do to others, I am hoping to receive some advice in making a pretty difficult decision these upcoming weeks.

I'm grateful to say that I've been accepted at a well respected allopathic medical school this year for the entering class of 2016. I do not take my acceptance lightly, as I know how unpredictable and challenging the application process is. Although I have been accepted, unfortunately I have been placed on the waiting list for my top choice, my state school, and should I not be accepted I am considering applying again next cycle and withdrawing my current acceptance. I know it is early, but june and the next cycle is fast approaching. I am hoping some of you can offer some advice addressing some of my recent considerations.

I am originally from the west coast, where my family and extended family all reside. I recently graduated from a college in the southeast and returned home for my gap year. The medical school i have been accepted to is also in the southeast. As I am thinking about my future, however, I realize how important family is to me and the significance of staying close to home. After reading many threads, students don't advise going to schools highly ranked or with prestigious match lists. Rather, students are advised to go to schools where they will succeed and thrive. I know I will do my best close to home with family.

This past year, I received advice from a current resident that no matter what I should always work to improve and learn regardless of my position. I never thought I would need the advice, but I am thankful now as I am confident my application will be stronger this upcoming cycle, notably through my clinical, shadowing, and volunteer experiences.

On the other hand, my mind is telling me applying again would be too risky of a choice, where the benefits do not outweigh the risks. There is no guarantee I will even be invited for an interview this next year, and I would be giving up a very fortunate opportunity. Furthermore, I know I can always return home for my residency, but I honestly do feel my chances of matching in the west are better if I attend a medical school close to the west, although there may be some selective bias in match lists. Ultimately, I know its difficult for anyone to tell me a definite answer, but I would appreciate some guidance along the way!

Thanks so much!

tldr; accepted to medical school in the southeast, but considering reapplying to state school in the pacific northwest to be close to family

Update: Thank you all for your feedback and advice! Although some parts are difficult to swallow, I feel like I have received valuable insight from this perspective. Good luck to everyone in their medical careers or wherever life may lead them.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
no. unless you want to get rejected from all schools next year.

Reactions: 2 users
no. unless you want to get rejected from all schools next year.

I read this in some threads and I'm curious where this is coming from? I spoke to my state school, and they said there is no rule saying I cannot reapply given I already have an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please, don't give away what you worked so hard for without some serious reality checking and reflection on your priorities. There has to be a reason you applied to this school. I have a feeling that the consensus on this forum will be that you will face a tremendous uphill battle if you decline an acceptance, and your schools will know that you did so when you reapply. I would hate to see someone lose out on an opportunity like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
You can always come back to the west coast for residency :)

giphy.gif

Please don't do this...

Reactions: 8 users
Please, don't give away what you worked so hard for without some serious reality checking and reflection on your priorities. There has to be a reason you applied to this school. I have a feeling that the consensus on this forum will be that you will face a tremendous uphill battle if you decline an acceptance, and your schools will know that you did so when you reapply. I would hate to see someone lose out on an opportunity like this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thank you so much for the advice. I guess a lot changed since I started my medical school applications. For me, like many others, my goal was just to enter medical school regardless of where it is. I knew an education at an accredited school would be great enough as it is. However, I've come to realize the importance of being in an environment where I truly know I can do well. In retrospect, I should have withdrawn from all schools when I came to this realization.

If you crush med school - aka high board scores, good clinical grades, strong LORs - you won't be limited in where you can go for residency.

If you crush med school - aka high board scores, good clinical grades, strong LORs - you won't be limited in where you can go for residency.

Definitely, and if I do attend this fall that will be my mission. However, I'd hate to put that much pressure on myself right out of the gate.

Maybe try writing a letter to the waitlisted school and tell them your dilemma. Tell them you'd be willing to forgo your already accepted spot to redo the entire thing for them. It might be a romantic gesture for them, in a weird way.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe try writing a letter to the waitlisted school and tell them your dilemma. Tell them you'd be willing to forgo your already accepted spot to redo the entire thing for them. It might be a romantic gesture for them, in a weird way.

I would if I could! They do not accept letters. The waitlist is ranked and fixed

Enroll. Remember how bad you wanted to get accepted (I hope) when you submitted last year? Ask that person what they would want you to do. The answer should be obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely, and if I do attend this fall that will be my mission. However, I'd hate to put that much pressure on myself right out of the gate.
Boo that's lame!

I'm pretty sure you're allowed to accept and then decline if you get a better offer from a waitlisted school. I just saw that on another thread here somewhere. I'd double check, or anyone could clarify this...

Be smart and don't reapply.

Years ago I was dating this pretty girl but I always wanted this other girl in my school who I thought was just...perfect. Heck, while I was dating my girlfriend I was more in shape, smarter, wittier than I have ever been. So naturally I did the gentlemanly thing and broke up with my girlfriend and asked the perfect girl out. I ended up with a pissed off ex-girlfriend and a new "sister".

Anyways, you're gonna have to do some serious explaining this application cycle if you turn down that acceptance. Matriculate. You are being way too greedy.

Reactions: 6 users
Maybe it's the whole West Coast, not just Cali... o_O

I think whoever told you that turning down an acceptance wouldn't be held against you, was misinformed. You know the expression about a bird in the hand? You're living it.

Reactions: 3 users
Years ago I was dating this pretty girl but I always wanted this other girl in my school who I thought was just...perfect. Heck, while I was dating my girlfriend I was more in shape, smarter, wittier than I have ever been. So naturally I did the gentlemanly thing and broke up with my girlfriend and asked the perfect girl out. I ended up with a pissed off ex-girlfriend and a new "sister".

Anyways, you're gonna have to do some serious explaining this application cycle if you turn down that acceptance. Matriculate. You are being way too greedy.
I spat out my coffee.........haha I love this analogy. You get slapped so hard for being a player

I will enjoy @Goro response to this thread. I am sorry I value family as much as the next person but anyone would love to take your spot, be grateful, start med school and become a doctor. In the school's eyes you have earned your place and are worthy to enter the profession. Good Luck

haha thanks for the analogy. I hope being greedy isn't my case, but you may be right. Is it not a fair enough answer to admissions committees I hoped to stay close to family? My father has MS and is a recent cancer survivor, so after his experiences I can't overestimate how important family is to me. Although, I have to admit my fault in applying to other schools this cycle.

Maybe it's the whole West Coast, not just Cali... o_O

I think whoever told you that turning down an acceptance wouldn't be held against you, was misinformed. You know the expression about a bird in the hand? You're living it.

That's a powerful expression, and a true one. Thanks for the input Doc

haha thanks for the analogy. I hope being greedy isn't my case, but you may be right. Is it not a fair enough answer to admissions committees I hoped to stay close to family? My father has MS and is a recent cancer survivor, so after his experiences I can't overestimate how important family is to me. Although, I have to admit my fault in applying to other schools this cycle.
why do you not ask for the school to defer you in this case to the next year? I am not sure of its policies but maybe you could reapply while keeping your seat at the medical school.

P.S. I'm probably sure this is pretty unpopular of an advice if at all one that is practical but throwing it out there.

I will enjoy @Goro response to this thread. I am sorry I value family as much as the next person but anyone would love to take your spot, be grateful, start med school and become a doctor. In the school's eyes you have earned your place and are worthy to enter the profession. Good Luck

You are right. Appreciate the honesty!

Hello all,

First, I am very thankful for this forum and all the support students and doctors are able to provide to prepare the next generation of physicians. As I've seen many of you do to others, I am hoping to receive some advice in making a pretty difficult decision these upcoming weeks.

I'm grateful to say that I've been accepted at a well respected allopathic medical school this year for the entering class of 2016. I do not take my acceptance lightly, as I know how unpredictable and challenging the application process is. Although I have been accepted, unfortunately I have been placed on the waiting list for my top choice, my state school, and should I not be accepted I am considering applying again next cycle and withdrawing my current acceptance. I know it is early, but june and the next cycle is fast approaching. I am hoping some of you can offer some advice addressing some of my recent considerations.

I am originally from the west coast, where my family and extended family all reside. I recently graduated from a college in the southeast and returned home for my gap year. The medical school i have been accepted to is also in the southeast. As I am thinking about my future, however, I realize how important family is to me and the significance of staying close to home. After reading many threads, students don't advise going to schools highly ranked or with prestigious match lists. Rather, students are advised to go to schools where they will succeed and thrive. I know I will do my best close to home with family.

This past year, I received advice from a current resident that no matter what I should always work to improve and learn regardless of my position. I never thought I would need the advice, but I am thankful now as I am confident my application will be stronger this upcoming cycle, notably through my clinical, shadowing, and volunteer experiences.

On the other hand, my mind is telling me applying again would be too risky of a choice, where the benefits do not outweigh the risks. There is no guarantee I will even be invited for an interview this next year, and I would be giving up a very fortunate opportunity. Furthermore, I know I can always return home for my residency, but I honestly do feel my chances of matching in the west are better if I attend a medical school close to the west, although there may be some selective bias in match lists. Ultimately, I know its difficult for anyone to tell me a definite answer, but I would appreciate some guidance along the way!

Thanks so much!

tldr; accepted to medical school in the southeast, but considering reapplying to state school in the pacific northwest to be close to family

Your mind is right; take this acceptance and attempt to go back to the PNW for residency. You will not have a fun time explaining to medical schools why you did not go to medical school the first time, and most won't even give you that opportunity; they'll simply reject you.

why do you not ask for the school to defer you in this case to the next year? I am not sure of its policies but maybe you could reapply while keeping your seat at the medical school.

Yes, many of my friends have asked about this. I'm almost positive this wouldn't be allowed, and I think it would be in bad form too.

P.S. I'm probably sure this is pretty unpopular of an advice if at all one that is practical but throwing it out there.

If you defer, your offer can be rescinded if you reapply. Deferment means that you are foregoing the chance to enter medical school so that you can enter in the same institution the next year.

Yes, many of my friends have asked about this. I'm almost positive this wouldn't be allowed, and I think it would be in bad form too.

Most schools have strict policies against applying elsewhere during a deferment. The point of deferments is not to give you time to get in somewhere else.

If you give this answer, they will wonder why you applied to the southeastern school in the first place if you didn't want to attend a school away from your home region. Unless it is much much more important to you that you stay near your family than you go to med school and become a doctor, turning down this acceptance would be extraordinarily risky and, in my opinion, foolish.

Your best option right now is to get in contact with your state school's admissions department (preferably via email) and tell them your story and hope that they take pity on you here.

Your mind is right; take this acceptance and attempt to go back to the PNW for residency. You will not have a fun time explaining to medical schools why you did not go to medical school the first time, and most won't even give you that opportunity; they'll simply reject you.

That's a scary thought. I'll need to directly ask the admissions counselor about this. The person I spoke to was the matriculation/acceptance manager. Thanks!

I read this in some threads and I'm curious where this is coming from? I spoke to my state school, and they said there is no rule saying I cannot reapply given I already have an acceptance.

Yes, there is no RULE.

Let me say this: There is no rule against eating the last cookie in the cookie jar. But if somebody else sees that you ate the last cookie in the cookie jar and they wanted it, they will probably be unhappy with you. This is a very similar situation. Schools will know that you declined an acceptance to reapply, and they will not be made happy by this realization.

If you give this answer, they will wonder why you applied to the southeastern school in the first place if you didn't want to attend a school away from your home region. Unless it is much much more important to you that you stay near your family than you go to med school and become a doctor, turning down this acceptance would be extraordinarily risky and, in my opinion, foolish.

Your best option right now is to get in contact with your state school's admissions department (preferably via email) and tell them your story and hope that they take pity on you here.

Yes, thank you! After today I really need to ask an admissions counselor, rather than someone who works in the office. And to everyone, I appreciate all the honest feedback!

Yes, thank you! After today I really need to ask an admissions counselor, rather than someone who works in the office. And to everyone, I appreciate all the honest feedback!

To be perfectly honest, outside of very specific circumstances, SDN is going to give you, overall, more useful and accurate feedback and advice than admissions counselors.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's condition, though good to know his cancer is in remission. In all honesty, if it will make you feel better, ask the school you've been accepted to if a student can spend their entire or nearly entire 4th year on away rotations. I know my school I am able to do this and many of my friends in other med schools did this as well. You can potentially wind up back in the PNW within 3 years. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance :)

That's a scary thought. I'll need to directly ask the admissions counselor about this. The person I spoke to was the matriculation/acceptance manager. Thanks!

Ah...admissions counselors...thing about admissions counselors is that they never became doctors much less got into medical school. Query your physician mentors and maybe even that resident that gave you that advice on constant improvement. I'm reasonably sure they'll concur with the general consensus given to you today.

Yes, there is no RULE.

Let me say this: There is no rule against eating the last cookie in the cookie jar. But if somebody else sees that you ate the last cookie in the cookie jar and they wanted it, they will probably be unhappy with you. This is a very similar situation. Schools will know that you declined an acceptance to reapply, and they will not be made happy by this realization.

Y'all are rocking the analogies. But I'm a bit confused... I do not intend on reapplying to the same schools?

Damn, I'm sorry to hear about your dad's condition, though good to know his cancer is in remission. In all honesty, if it will make you feel better, ask the school you've been accepted to if a student can spend their entire or nearly entire 4th year on away rotations. I know my school I am able to do this and many of my friends in other med schools did this as well. You can potentially wind up back in the PNW within 3 years. Anyways, congrats on your acceptance :)

Ah...admissions counselors...thing about admissions counselors is that they never became doctors much less got into medical school. Query your physician mentors and maybe even that resident that gave you that advice on constant improvement. I'm reasonably sure they'll concur with the general consensus given to you today.

Thank you for your kind words! Absolutely. If I enroll this fall I will take full advantage of away rotations-- which will also help establish a network for residency.

And yes! I will continue to ask around and receive feedback for as long as I can. And I apologize, I meant to say I will directly ask an admissions committee member (if I can).

Y'all are rocking the analogies. But I'm a bit confused... I do not intend on reapplying to the same schools?

Welp, you are at least going to apply to this mysterious school ;) again in the Pacific Northwest at which you're currently waitlisted.

Matriculate at this MD school in the Southeast and never look back. Even if this school were DO, roll with it. If not, give it up to another deserving candidate who wants to be a doctor even more. What's the point of applying to schools in the 1st place if you're not going to enroll once accepted?

Note to all prospective medical school candidates - you need to formulate heir list of schools carefully!!

Welp, you are at least going to apply to this mysterious school ;) again in the Pacific Northwest at which you're currently waitlisted.

Matriculate at this MD school in the Southeast and never look back. Even if this school were DO, roll with it. If not, give it up to another deserving candidate who wants to be a doctor even more. What's the point of applying to schools in the 1st place if you're not going to enroll once accepted?

Note to all prospective medical school candidates - you need to formulate heir list of schools carefully!!

Thank you for the feedback. While I admit my mistake in my choice in schools, I hope my current situation does not reflect my lack of desire to be a physician.

Will you only apply to Pacific NW schools next year? I am not terribly familiar with the PNW but I only know about OHSU and UW. These are good schools drawing a large geographical area of applicants, besides the rest of the country who would like to break into the region because where we live sucks. Plus Californians will hit those schools hard too. So then do you apply to a few more just in case? Then you are in the same boat one year later. It sounds like you kind have decided to reapply. I wish you luck.

it's only 4 years..
4 years go quick
also I'm not a med student, but I do know some med students who do away rotations.. you could possibly do rotations in your home state...

Will you only apply to Pacific NW schools next year? I am not terribly familiar with the PNW but I only know about OHSU and UW. These are good schools drawing a large geographical area of applicants, besides the rest of the country who would like to break into the region because where we live sucks. Plus Californians will hit those schools hard too. So then do you apply to a few more just in case? Then you are in the same boat one year later. It sounds like you kind have decided to reapply. I wish you luck.

Absolutely. I didn't want to mention UW because it is a great program and I didn't want to cloud peoples' judgement. But you are totally correct in that I will expand my reach to OHSU (did not apply this year due to lack of a course) and a new school in Washington state. You're right in calling me out on what I seem to have decided on, but I'm trying my best to separate what I want versus what is right!

Thank you for the feedback. While I admit my mistake in my choice in schools, I hope my current situation does not reflect my lack of desire to be a physician.

Perhaps not, but that's how it looks. Lots of people make painful sacrifices to attend medical school. They go into debt, they strain their personal relationships, they work like dogs for years on end, and so on. If you can't muster up the fortitude to spend a few years a plane flight away from your fam, then no thanks. We'll pass. Someone else will want it more.

Reactions: 3 users
Perhaps not, but that's how it looks. Lots of people make painful sacrifices to attend medical school. They go into debt, they strain their personal relationships, they work like dogs for years on end, and so on. If you can't muster up the fortitude to spend a few years a plane flight away from your fam, then no thanks. We'll pass. Someone else will want it more.

You are right. I know there are many sacrifices in a medical career. I guess it's deciding which ones you are willing to accept

Maybe you will get in off the wait list. Crazier things have happened.

4 years go quick

Unfortunately they don't if you have sick loved ones. The 4 years you are in med school, life doesn't stop. When someone you love is on their deathbed, all you wish for is more time with them. I think people are being a little harsh in this regard. Of course, we don't know the exact situation, but OP can figure that out for their self.

But obviously, if you read the rest of the posts in this thread, the ultimate question comes down to this: do you value being with family now enough to possibly forgo becoming a doctor (maybe ever)? It's okay if the answer is yes. There's more to life than being a doctor.

Unfortunately they don't if you have sick loved ones. The 4 years you are in med school, life doesn't stop. When someone you love is on their deathbed, all you wish for is more time with them. I think people are being a little harsh in this regard. Of course, we don't know the exact situation, but OP can figure that out for their self.

But obviously, if you read the rest of the posts in this thread, the ultimate question comes down to this: do you value being with family now enough to possibly forgo becoming a doctor (maybe ever)? It's okay if the answer is yes. There's more to life than being a doctor.

Your empathy means a lot to me. I am grateful for every day.

I think this is ultimately the choice you're making. Sadly, if being with your loved ones now is more important to you than being a physician (possibly being a physician at all, let alone this year), that may actually be the choice you're making. This decision is really more about your priorities than anything else, and that's truly what life is about: Figuring out what matters to you. There are other careers out there where you could find tremendous fulfillment, but you only have one family. If being a physician is truly important to you, though, keep in mind that this is likely to be your one big shot and you may have trouble getting schools to take a look at you ever again.