Accepted to optometry in Canada. Do I take it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jm88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I've been accepted to optometry school in Canada but unfortunately I have never shadowed an optometrist. I've tried, but I was refused by my family optometrist because she told me she was too busy. I only know the profession as a patient.

I was also accepted in pharmacy school, but I'd have to move 3 hours away for that which will incur a lot of debt, and I find it doesn't appeal to me as a career. Other than that, I have physical therapy that I've been accepted to in my hometown as well.

I'd like to know if optometry is the one I should go for. I've read the negatives and the positives, but I'm not sure if the negatives of the US market apply to Canada. I was wondering if there are any Canadian OD's (recent grad or established) here that can offer some input. I'd like to know what the job market is like in Canada, the typical starting salaries, median salaries after a few years, owner salaries, and the strength of the profession in the next 10,20,30,40 years (is it dying? Or prospering?). Also, after 5,10,20 years practicing, do any OD's here feel bored with the profession? That's one of my greatest concerns. However, I'm hearing things about the medicalization of optometry and how it's gonna grow in terms of diagnostics, which seems stimulating. Any input is welcome :)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.