Accepted to PsyD Programs... But Is It Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just for future reference, my "flavor comment" .

I simply think is largely a myth, to be frank. SWs can be perfectly good/competent therapists, but I am not convinced the typical LCSW brings a new "flavor" to diagnosis, or even to treatment (psychotherapy), despite the didactic teaching of such in these training prorgams.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotally, I am of the opinion that my colleagues who are social workers and practice psychotherapy tend to be more oriented towards family work and towards finding resources in the community.

For example, an LICSW doing DBT with a Borderline patient 1) would hold more family meetings, and 2) would be more likely to find the patient a job coach, an outpatient DBT group, and a case manager.

Obviously I'm generalizing, but this is my experience.

Anecdotally, I am of the opinion that my colleagues who are social workers and practice psychotherapy tend to be more oriented towards family work and towards finding resources in the community.

For example, an LICSW doing DBT with a Borderline patient 1) would hold more family meetings, and 2) would be more likely to find the patient a job coach, an outpatient DBT group, and a case manager.

Obviously I'm generalizing, but this is my experience.

This has also been overwhelmingly what I see in the areas I work in.