Accomodation for UsydMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steely Dan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a 2nd year local student doing the UsydMP. Last year I needed to find a few roommates, and put the offer out to the internationals that if they agreed to move in with me, I would do all the running around, organise a place, even pick them up from the airport. All they had to do was show up and pay the rent (we split it evenly, in case you think I'm making money off this endeavour).

I basically thought it would be perfect for an international. Because you guys don't know anything about Sydney, and it's a pain in the ass finding accomodation here.

Anyway, there were three of us originally, and one of us has decided to move out on his own, and I was wondering if there was any interest from the next crop of internationals in taking up the spot. The only catch is they would have to be willing to start paying the rent ($800 per month, includes rent, utilities and expenses) from the 12th January to secure the spot, because that's when the third guy leaves. If no-one keen, I'm just going to get some random person in, but we'd rather have a medical student in. I guess you could say med students have special needs.

We have a 3 bedroom terrace house 10mins walk from campus in a quiet street in Camperdown.

Let me know if you're interested at: [email protected]

Thanks,

Daniel.

Members don't see this ad.

That is the exact reason why I turned down my offer to USyd and went to UQ instead. Housing in Sydney is extremely difficult to find, while it took me two days to find a place to live in Queensland when I first started. I am originally from San Francisco, and Sydney is like a hybrid of Los Angeles and San Francisco, it has LA's sprawl combined with a harbor that reminds be of SF Bay with a SF like Climate, there is also a strange curry like odor in the air in Sydney while SF smells like Chocolate. Sydney is not a student friendly place compared to Brisbane or Melbourne.

Share accommodation is something I would not recommend unless its with someone you know.

A studio apartment with electricity and other utilities in near USyd will probably range from $800 to a $1000 a month AUD. Apartments in central Brisbane aren't exactly cheaper but Brisbane is much smaller and has pretty efficient bus network compared to Sydney. I am renting a whole house which is about five minutes by bus from my clinical rotations and UQ medical school's Herston campus and paying only $800 a month. Sydney has some ghetto areas (Redfern, Western Sydney) but I would not recommend those places at all.

Sydney though is a cool city with a lot to offer, Brisbane is a quiet country town that is just beginning to expand.

there is also a strange curry like odor in the air in Sydney while SF smells like Chocolate.

You are a strange, strange man.

I just want to post endorsing Steely Dan's accommodation offer.

It's best to find something nice and stable soon so you can start studying... and partying.

But seriously, the time spent finding a place is absolutely dreadful.

San Francisco is a strange strange city. I have noticed that Thai food is quite popular in Oz, so that could explain the curry odor.