Which hospital for internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaCl-H2O

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If location wasn’t a problem, where would you choose/not choose and why?

1. St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney
2. The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane
3. East Grampians, Victoria

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If location wasn’t a problem, where would you choose/not choose and why?

1. St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney
2. The Prince Charles Hospital, Brisbane
3. East Grampians, Victoria

Thanks!

PCH has a good reputation among JMOs, and Queensland offers the best remuneration by far. You couldn't pay me enough to live in Sydney. East Grampians are beautiful but it might be more difficult to break into certain specialties. Do you have an idea about what you want to do, metro vs regional, overall lifestyle, etc?

I'd also like some input on this if anyone has any opinions. I'm international at a Vic school and applying for internship this year. Have not considered the specific hospitals but these would be my 3 states as well - Vic, NSW, Queensland (no particular preference, but we do have priority 2 in Vic).

I wouldn't mind going regional or even rural, in fact I'd probably prefer it given I'd be more involved in things, but at the same time was wondering if that would hurt my chances for training at any of the metro hospitals/programs in the future?

Goal is to do internship regional/rural to get more hands on experience (as opposed to the more running around paper pushing types of tasks interns do at the bigger hospitals), then go into BPT in year 2 or 3 at a metro hospital.

So If I had to rank things it would be 1) doing more hands on tasks and being more involved 2) ability to get into a good BPT program at a metro in PGY2/3 3) pay.