Accused of Cheating

• Thread starter walkingcontradiction
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

walkingcontradiction

Three months ago I submitted a regrade, after being encouraged by my TA to submit one to the LS (life science) core office. After spending months of emails and contacting, it seemed like nobody new where my exam was and I gave up figuring out the points.

Months later, LS core office sends out an email saying we can pick up regrades during 3rd week of the following quarter. I go to pick mine up and the secretary takes me by surprise and tells me that my exam has been submitted to dean of students for issues discrepancies pre-regrade and post.

I freaked out and left; I started thinking about it more and realized I had corrected part of my exam (I do for all of them so I can study from the final) in pencil and left it. When I went back to that question, I realized I might have deserved more points and when submitting the regrade on that question. I asked my TAs if I should submit it and he encouraged me to do so and I did, but forgot I had corrected part of that question. When I was informed about where my exam was, I had already received my grade in the class so I decided not to reach out to Dean of Students because it would seem to make my case worse than what it was. Three days after visiting LS core, I get an email from Dean of Students to have a meeting. I look on my transcript and I currently have a deferral grade. My best guess is that the secretary took my panic for guilt and emailed DOS (it was too coincidental for it to be chance; not all reports are attended to that are submitted to DOS).

At this point, it's been months since I've seen the exam - I'm not even entirely sure what happened. My TAs and professors likely don't remember my name, much less encouraging me to submit a regrade or what the question was.

I've never been in a situation like this and am totally panicked. I haven't even been sent to the principal's office in elementary school. I'm a good student, with decent grades, professors like me, I work hard. If I get an F or an IA, it ruins my chances of getting into medical school or a grad program despite years of work. The crazy in me has been reading all these horror stories online of similar instances. I was wondering if any here had a similar experience and how it turned out? Or any advice in general?

Members don't see this ad.

The secretary took your panic for guilt? I don't think her opinion really matters, it was already submitted.

Also you never mentioned anything about what happened in the meeting with the dean?

The secretary took your panic for guilt? I don't think her opinion really matters, it was already submitted.

Also you never mentioned anything about what happened in the meeting with the dean.

From what I heard from other students, reports to the DOS that are serious normally get resolved right away - as in, I wouldn't have received a final grade in the course if DOS suspected me of cheating. It seemed odd that after three months of not hearing anything about my exam after asking my professor and TAs, the exam resurfaced at DOS. Technically, in the code of conduct, the DOS can dismiss a report if they find it insufficient to puruse. I'm assuming after telling the secretary I never received an email from the DOS, she followed up with them. Whether or not the initial report was dismissed, I'm not sure, but it seems that way.

I have not met with the DOS, yet. My meeting is next week and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to prepare for it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I heard from other students, reports to the DOS that are serious normally get resolved right away - as in, I wouldn't have received a final grade in the course if DOS suspected me of cheating. It seemed odd that after three months of not hearing anything about my exam after asking my professor and TAs, the exam resurfaced at DOS. I'm assuming after telling the secretary I never received an email from the DOS, she followed up with them. Whether or not the initial report was dismissed, I'm not sure, but it seems that way.

I have not met with the DOS, yet. My meeting is next week and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to prepare for it is.

You changed answers and turned it back in for a re grade...i correct answers on my exams also if I'm allowed to keep them, but If I were going to turn it back in I would probably remember that I did that.

Its your word against theirs as far as anyone can tell. Did you ask them to only look over specific questions? Were the questions you were seeking credit on ones that you changed?

Last edited:
You changed answers and turned it back in for a re grade...i correct answers on my exams also if I'm allowed to keep them, but If I were going to turn it back in I would probably remember that I did that.

Its your word against theirs as far as we can tell. Did you ask them to only look over specific questions? was one of the questions you were seeking credit on one that you changed?

Yeah. It was a last minute regrade. I'd never submitted exam before for a regrade (they have copies, obviously, so they normally just ask for a paper explaining why you deserve the extra points). I had done the correction (hadn't even finished it) probably a week before I even considered writing up a regrade. When I came back to correcting my exam again, I realized part of the question that had been marked wrong, was correct. I went and asked my TA and professor if it was worth it to submit and both of them had agreed it was. It wasn't fully correct, but should have got partial credit.

I contacted the professor and asked if I could explain the situation, but she replied saying that all proceedings were simply handled by DOS.

So you made unauthorized changes on the test question you wanted regraded for more credit.

Beg and apologize as much as possible. Take the hit if it doesn't work, because this is kinda on you regardless of whether I (or anyone else) believes you or not.

Reactions: 1 users
You wrote in correct answers on your exam and then turned it back in for a regrade?? How the heck do you not even realize how bad that could be? You need to be more aware of you are going to go into medicine...

You wrote in correct answers on your exam and then turned it back in for a regrade?? How the heck do you not even realize how bad that could be? You need to be more aware of you are going to go into medicine...
I'd been dealing with health issues that month and was in and out of the hospital/ER. It wasn't the first thing on my list of priorities. As stupid as it may have been, it was an innocent error and hadn't even realized it had happened till way after the fact.

So you made unauthorized changes on the test question you wanted regraded for more credit.

Beg and apologize as much as possible. Take the hit if it doesn't work, because this is kinda on you regardless of whether I (or anyone else) believes you or not.

Yeah. Essentially. It was an innocent, albeit, stupid mistake. At this point, I just want to minimize damage.
If I had known earlier, I could have probably had my TA address it as the portion of the question that I wanted regraded was separate from what I had corrected. But that ship has come and passed. It pretty much looks terrible as I don't have any other witness or any hard evidence to support me. The only thing I have going for me is four years of college without a single accusation and my past record.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to prepare for the meeting.

To be straight, you corrected an answer and then asked specifically for them to re-grade that question?

The way you have described it is so egregious that I would actually tend to think it was an honest mistake.

Last edited:
Yeah. Essentially. It was an innocent, albeit, stupid mistake. At this point, I just want to minimize damage.
If I had known earlier, I could have probably had my TA address it as the portion of the question that I wanted regraded was separate from what I had corrected. But that ship has come and passed. It pretty much looks terrible as I don't have any other witness or any hard evidence to support me. The only thing I have going for me is four years of college without a single accusation and my past record.

I don't know if there's anything I can do to prepare for the meeting.
Just be honest and apologize. Take a 0 if you can

To be straight, you corrected an answer and then asked specifically for them to re-grade that question?

Its so egregious that I would actually tend to think it probably was an honest mistake.

Yes. It has now made my list of the top five careless things I have done. I mean, I'm a departmental and college honors student, in scholars, and overall did well in the class; frankly, I didn't even know what a DOS did until last week. I contacted my mentor who knows many of the DOS's and works in the admin of the school, hoping that perhaps she can shed more light on how these things work and vouch for my character.

Do absolutely everything you can to keep it off your official record. You say you do this for all exams? I might suggest bringing your past corrected exams to prove that this is a study habit of yours. Take anything they offer you that doesn't involve this going on your record. A 0 on the test, an F in the class, whatever. If it goes on your transcript it's all over.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ooooo, this is quite the pickle...

I was a student worker in our school's Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs office and our administrators always took a holistic approach when "he-said, she-said" cases came in. They looked at the accused student's entire academic record and history first. For example, a 4.0 student with stellar grades and spotless record was turned in once for suspicion of cheating. They determined that the student was coasting a 98% in the course and would still get an A+ if he got a 0% on the assignment in question and have zero motive to cheat, so they decided to take his word for it that it was just a misunderstanding and dismissed the case.

Your case isn't entirely analogous and you've got a lot of explaining to do, and if I put myself in the DoS's shoes, I wouldn't blame them for being skeptical. I'd say use your academic and professional history as a testament of your character and try your best to convince your DoS why this is an honest mistake, and have evidence to back it up. Basically prove to them you're smarter than someone who would intentionally try to straight up resubmit a corrected exam...

Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Three months ago I submitted a regrade, after being encouraged by my TA to submit one to the LS (life science) core office. After spending months of emails and contacting, it seemed like nobody new where my exam was and I gave up figuring out the points.

Months later, LS core office sends out an email saying we can pick up regrades during 3rd week of the following quarter. I go to pick mine up and the secretary takes me by surprise and tells me that my exam has been submitted to dean of students for issues discrepancies pre-regrade and post.

I freaked out and left; I started thinking about it more and realized I had corrected part of my exam (I do for all of them so I can study from the final) in pencil and left it. When I went back to that question, I realized I might have deserved more points and when submitting the regrade on that question. I asked my TAs if I should submit it and he encouraged me to do so and I did, but forgot I had corrected part of that question. When I was informed about where my exam was, I had already received my grade in the class so I decided not to reach out to Dean of Students because it would seem to make my case worse than what it was. Three days after visiting LS core, I get an email from Dean of Students to have a meeting. I look on my transcript and I currently have a deferral grade. My best guess is that the secretary took my panic for guilt and emailed DOS (it was too coincidental for it to be chance; not all reports are attended to that are submitted to DOS).

At this point, it's been months since I've seen the exam - I'm not even entirely sure what happened. My TAs and professors likely don't remember my name, much less encouraging me to submit a regrade or what the question was.

I've never been in a situation like this and am totally panicked. I haven't even been sent to the principal's office in elementary school. I'm a good student, with decent grades, professors like me, I work hard. If I get an F or an IA, it ruins my chances of getting into medical school or a grad program despite years of work. The crazy in me has been reading all these horror stories online of similar instances. I was wondering if any here had a similar experience and how it turned out? Or any advice in general?

Unfortunately most would find it hard to believe that you "accidentally" corrected your answer and submitted it for a regrade. Many people cheat and those who do, deserve an F. I don't think your whole future should be ruined because of it, but you definitely should understand why they would give you an F for it.

Ooooo, this is quite the pickle...

I was a student worker in our school's Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs office and our administrators always took a holistic approach when "he-said, she-said" cases came in. They looked at the accused student's entire academic record and history first. For example, a 4.0 student with stellar grades and spotless record was turned in once for suspicion of cheating. They determined that the student was coasting a 98% in the course and would still get an A+ if he got a 0% on the assignment in question and have zero motive to cheat, so they decided to take his word for it that it was just a misunderstanding and dismissed the case.

Your case isn't entirely analogous and you've got a lot of explaining to do, and if I put myself in the DoS's shoes, I wouldn't blame them for being skeptical. I'd say use your academic and professional history as a testament of your character and try your best to convince your DoS why this is an honest mistake, and have evidence to back it up. Basically prove to them you're smarter than someone who would intentionally try to straight up resubmit a corrected exam...

Best of luck!
Unfortunately, I didn't do amazing on that midterm, but my overall performance in the class still put me in the top 10%.

I'm not sure if I should be reaching out to people who can vouch for me and my character. I worked/was recommended by the DoS of my previous institution along with counselors for nearly 3 years (I'm a transfer student). I wrote out the most compelling list of arguments I had - most of them just revolved around the fact I would have been daft in the head to intentionally try to get away with a correction like that for 4 points. I'm friends with TAs and it's no secret that they copy exams and have to compare it for regrades.

In your experience, what cases were moved to the Student Council Committees and what were just given an admonition directly? Just reading through student code of conduct, it seems the more serious scenarios were forwarded to the committee and things such as expulsion and suspension were handled there.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately most would find it hard to believe that you "accidentally" corrected your answer and submitted it for a regrade. Many people cheat and those who do, deserve an F. I don't think your whole future should be ruined because of it, but you definitely should understand why they would give you an F for it.
At this point, I'd take the F. It's much easier to amend than an IA. Though it pretty much tanks my chances of getting into a decent medical school. Que sera sera

I may take a lot of flack for this post, but I halfway think that if they say they will give you an F right off the bat you should argue it. I highly doubt they will just change their mind and give you an IA after they have already said that and you are able to provide some evidence or likelihood of an honest mistake.

If you changed answers on the regrade anything that isn't an IA and on your record is a massive massive win here and you are the luckiest guy around. Good luck man, you'll need it

At this point, I'd take the F. It's much easier to amend than an IA. Though it pretty much tanks my chances of getting into a decent medical school. Que sera sera

Neither of those will likely significantly affect your future. Even if you get an IA, if otherwise you have a good record, and write that you have learned from your mistake, most adcoms would look past it.

I may take a lot of **** for this post, but I halfway think that if they say they will give you an F right off the bat you should argue it. I highly doubt they will just change their mind and give you an IA after they have already said that and you are able to provide some evidence or likelihood of an honest mistake.
So I guess best bet is to go in apologize profusely, give the best defense I can, and hope that there's a God. I know this sounds extreme, but I know students have hired lawyers in the past for things like this? I'm broke and don't want to inflate things that might not even be necessary, but is that absurd?

So I guess best bet is to go in apologize profusely, give the best defense I can, and hope that there's a God. I know this sounds extreme, but I know students have hired lawyers in the past for things like this? I'm broke and don't want to inflate things that might not even be necessary, but is that absurd?

Lawyers aren't going to help you out.

If it was an honest mistake id portray it as such and let the chips fall where they may.

Last edited:
Lawyers aren't going to help you out.

I wouldn't even apologize profusely, because that makes it seem like you really know you did something wrong. If it was an honest mistake id portray it as such and let the chips fall where they may.

I guess then going in and just being honest and hoping that my record/character reflects best is what I'm going to do.

Thanks guys for the advice.

Neither of those will likely significantly affect your future. Even if you get an IA, if otherwise you have a good record, and write that you have learned from your mistake, most adcoms would look past it.

not with an IA for cheating/academic dishonesty. Those are tough to overcome (according to posts I've read by adcoms in the past)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

not with an IA for cheating/academic dishonesty. Those are tough to overcome (according to posts I've read by adcoms in the past)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's what I've heard too. It's pretty much the death kiss regardless of how flawless the rest of your application maybe (and I think rightly so). I guess the good thing is that I've heard of students actually caught cheating during an exam (in the same department and school) and they didn't receive and IA, but a zero on the exams. Hoping the IA isn't going to be a problem.

In your experience, what cases were moved to the Student Council Committees and what were just given an admonition directly? Just reading through student code of conduct, it seems the more serious scenarios were forwarded to the committee and things such as expulsion and suspension were handled there.
Some cases stayed within the department and some were referred to the college's Dean. If official university action was initiated, the case is sent to the DoS and is handled through its "Office of Student Rights and Responsibility," but sometimes the DoS refers them to the VC for Student Affairs (where I worked). We only got the most serious or oddball cases. Direct admonition were rare, I'll tell you that. Our admins were probably too nice, but they looked for ways to discipline without tarnishing transcripts to the best of their ability. Our provost understood that students make dumb mistakes sometimes and generally didn't want their post-graduation prospects ruined with suspensions or expulsions. Sometimes they just gave zero's for the assignments in question and sometimes they gave W's or WF's for the whole course, but it really just depended. They did bring the hammer down hard on some people, but those were rare and I guarantee your case is sunshine and rainbows compared to those (attempting to sneak into prof's grading spreadsheets, taking exams for other people, etc.)

I'm not sure how your institution handles these things, but if I were you I'd cross my fingers and hope they're anywhere near as chillax and understanding as our school. Just be straightforward, and don't try to come off as rude or shady. Explain to them why what you're being accused of just simply is not who you are or what you believe in, and that it's an honest careless mistake.

I agree that this is your best bet. Usually when these threads come up we either don't get the whole story or the story is underplayed to make cheating sound like a mistake. For once it actually sounds like that isn't the case.

OP, get your old tests together and take them to the meeting and explain how you study and what happened. You can talk about how that month sucked, but don't make excuses. Just say you made a terrible error but that you genuinely weren't trying to cheat and that your past history in the class and as a whole supports that. I agree that I'd actually argue it if they try to give you an F in the class, but if they want to give you a zero on the test you'd understand.

I don't think you really need 'character witnesses' and you definitely should not get a lawyer. I would make an effort to contact the professor and TA you talked to though. You'd be surprised at the random little things teachers and tutors remember, and if you're really as good of a student as you're portraying yourself to be then they definitely may remember you and could be willing to help (assuming they believe it was a legitimate mistake and not cheating). If they agree with you, it would be very beneficial to have the people running the class on your side. If they say no, then it won't make it worse and at least you tried. Just be honest, be professional, and let them know it was a horribly absent-minded mistake that you have already learned a lot from.

Last edited:
Own up to your blunder, and plead with all you've got. Hopefully this will resolve in a favorable way.

I agree that this is your best bet. Usually when these threads come up we either don't get the whole story or the story is underplayed to make cheating sound like a mistake. For once it actually sounds like that isn't the case.

OP, get your old tests together and take them to the meeting and explain how you study and what happened. You can talk about how that month sucked, but don't make excuses. Just say you made a terrible error but that you genuinely weren't trying to cheat and that your past history in the class and as a whole supports that. I agree that I'd actually argue it if they try to give you an F in the class, but if they want to give you a zero on the test you'd understand.

I don't think you really need 'character witnesses' and you definitely should not get a lawyer. I would make an effort to contact the professor and TA you talked to though. You'd be surprised at the random little things teachers and tutors remember, and if you're really as good of a student as you're portraying yourself to be then they definitely may remember you and could be willing to help (assuming they believe it was a legitimate mistake and not cheating). If they agree with you, it would be very beneficial to have the people running the class on your side. If they say no, then it won't make it worse and at least you tried. Just be honest, be professional, and let them no it was a horribly absent-minded mistake that you have already learned a lot from.

Thanks so much! I'm going to do my best to just be as honest and transparent as possible. I have my previous exam from that class that I correct that and I'm going to bring as well. I don't think there's much else I can do.

I contacted one of the professor's of the course and she was very stoic about the whole thing when I tried to apologize for the misunderstanding and try to contact her to explain in person. She said that no judgments were made on my integrity or character and the exam was forwarded as a standard protocol.
My TA wasn't a big fan of me, but I contacted him enough about the regrade that he might be willing to make a note of it. I'm considering emailing the other professor in the course as he is much more approachable and more amicable.

It's hard to know how some of these proceedings work. You only really hear the horror stories on the internet and not really the successful ones so it's difficult to know how to best approach. Thanks for the advice!

Light at the end of the tunnel! One of my friends just called and told me a similar case. Her close friend had been caught for falsifying a regrade in the same course with the same professor and was reported to the dean where she admitted to cheating. She got an incomplete in the course and no IA, just had to retake it.

Don't be too accepting of a zero at first. It'll make you look guilty if you instantly accept an F without a bit of a fight.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using SDN mobile

Don't be too accepting of a zero at first. It'll make you look guilty if you instantly accept an F without a bit of a fight.

Like the advice given by academic advisers, some are good, and some like this, is terrible. This is not a negotiation that is going on. From a academic standpoint, the university doesn't have a burden of proof to give you a zero or mark you for academic dishonesty because you straight up turned in something that was altered.

I was a TA, and I have seen exams being turned in for regrading with things changed, and the litanies of excuses that come with it soon after. Getting a zero would be a blessing in disguise, and anything more, well kudos.

That being said, go in, tell them what happened, admit that you made a mistake, and let the chips fall where they shall.

Like the advice given by academic advisers, some are good, and some like this, is terrible. This is not a negotiation that is going on. From a academic standpoint, the university doesn't have a burden of proof to give you a zero or mark you for academic dishonesty because you straight up turned in something that was altered.

I don't think its a bad idea. While there is no reason to put up a fight so your F somehow looks like a lesser F(implying that you didn't deserve it - its still an F), I certainly would not expect them to go from an F to an IA after he has been able to explain himself and that this is a normal practice, he has a clean record, well liked, etc. SDN dogmatically dismisses anything other than: you make a dumb mistake you take the F, take the IA, or whatever the hell we happen to be talking about at the time. The people making these decisions about our future in these instances are as fallible as you or I and there is no reason you cannot tactfully and professionally challenge this while upholding your morals or character.

Last edited:
I don't think its a bad idea. There is no reason to do as he says, put up a fight so your F somehow looks like a lesser F; however I certainly would not expect them to go from an F to an IA after he has been able to explain himself and that this is a normal practice, he has a clean record, well liked, etc. SDN dogmatically dismisses anything other than: you make a dumb mistake, take the F, take the IA, or whatever the hell we happen to be talking about at the time. The people making these decisions about our future in these instances are as fallible as you or I and there is no reason you cannot tactfully and professionally refute this while upholding your morals or character.

I agree 100%. My point was it is foolish to put a greater fight just to look less guilty since doing so, if they offer you to take a zero and you fight to look less guilty, then they can simply take the offer off the table.

I can't speak for SDN, but I can only speak from the perspective of someone who was in these kind of committees. In a ideal world, this would have been taken care of at the professor level. Once it goes above that, well, these generally don't work in the student's favor.

I was a TA, and I have seen exams being turned in for regrading with things changed, and the litanies of excuses that come with it soon after. Getting a zero would be a blessing in disguise, and anything more, well kudos.

That being said, go in, tell them what happened, admit that you made a mistake, and let the chips fall where they shall.

..what are you talking about? I never said an F would be a poor outcome, and I certainly didn't imply that it was a negotiation. All I suggested is that OP shouldn't waltz in there saying "give me an F instead of an IA," which some people believe is the appropriate course of action. Your last paragraph even agrees with the same sentiment in my post; don't approach this with expectations of being able to demand a particular outcome. Learn how to read.

..what are you talking about? I never said an F would be a poor outcome, and I certainly didn't imply that it was a negotiation. All I suggested is that OP shouldn't waltz in there saying "give me an F instead of an IA," which some people believe is the appropriate course of action. Your last paragraph even agrees with the same sentiment in my post; don't approach this with expectations of being able to demand a particular outcome. Learn how to read.

Except literally, no one said anything about F being a poor outcome except you just now. I said it was foolish to go in to try to argue if they offered you a zero just so you "look less guilty."

Second of all, if they offered you a zero, and then you try to argue with that to look less guilty, that is literally negotiation.

Learn to read.

it is foolish to put a greater fight just to look less guilty since doing so, if they offer you to take a zero and you fight to look less guilty, then they can simply take the offer off the table.
They can simply take the offer off the table? You literally just said in your last post that this "isn't a negotiation," and now you're acting like it is. Do you really think that schools "offer" punishments that students can choose to accept or reject? That's sure as hell not how it works at my school (or any other self-respecting institution in the country, for that matter).

..what are you talking about?...I certainly didn't imply that it was a negotiation...Learn how to read.

you try to argue with that to look less guilty, that is literally negotiation...Learn to read.

colbert-popcorn.gif

1. The school will tell you with the evidence against you, you are getting a zero.
2. You make a fool of yourself to argue their decision just so you look less guilty. You might even go up one more level, above the dean to the provost.
3. Provost "reviews" the case, and tells you have fun with your IA.
4. You lose.

http://clas.uiowa.edu/faculty/teaching-policies-resources-academic-fraud

I can list more non-self-respecting institutions in this country if you like. I like how you assumed that because it wasn't done at your institution, automatically, my institution is not self-respecting.

Only question remaining is this, I have sat on these committees, have you? Here's a hint for you, provost agrees with the dean 99%, if not upping the ante by applying the standard exactly to procedure at that point, aka IA or expulsion.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Except literally, no one said anything about F being a poor outcome except you just now.
You're making it so incredibly clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. Try reading the first post in this thread again. OP literally said "if I get an F or IA, it ruins my chances of getting into medical school." That sounds to me quite a bit like OP thinks an F is a poor outcome. And I never said to appeal the decision of an F if that's what's decided upon as the punishment. Just that OP shouldn't go in there asking for an F, and instead should defend him/herself as thoroughly as possible before a decision is made.

Not gonna continue arguing with someone who didn't even bother to read the OP.

Not gonna continue arguing with someone who didn't even bother to read the OP.

Said the person who posted not to take a F without a fight AFTER OP stated that someone else got a incomplete. And you never said to appeal the decision of the F? Did you not say yourself "don't be too accepting of a zero?"

Let's agree to disagree, good luck at your self-respecting institution, if I was you, I'll focus on verbal skills moving forward for the MCAT.

Last edited:
And you never said to appeal the decision of the F? Did you not say yourself "don't be too accepting of a zero?"
I don't think that 'not being too accepting of a 0' is the same as 'appealing a decision to give OP and F.' It seems to me that your disagreement stems from some assumptions you're reading into other posts.

By the way, am I the only one that doesn't really understand what the test looks like? That is, what sort of questions are they? What did you do in make corrections that they look like the answers you were trying to give and not just notes you took on the correct answers after the test?

I don't think that 'not being too accepting of a 0' is the same as 'appealing a decision to give OP and F.' It seems to me that your disagreement stems from some assumptions you're reading into other posts.

By the way, am I the only one that doesn't really understand what the test looks like? That is, what sort of questions are they? What did you do in make corrections that they look like the answers you were trying to give and not just notes you took on the correct answers after the test?

Good point, were corrections notes in a margin, or were original answers removed and corrections made to look like original answer?

Good point, were corrections notes in a margin, or were original answers removed and corrections made to look like original answer?
I erased part of it to practice the questions. It was a homework problem and I was peeved I got it wrong so I just redid each row at a time. It was a bio-synthetic pathway chart so there weren't any need for notes.

I'm meeting with my mentor tomorrow who was a DoS and knows pretty much the entire school and she seems very willing to help. Hopefully, after hearing the previous situation that spot on resembles mine an IA it is.