ACT score and MCAT score correlation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I hear a lot of people get the same or really similar ACT and MCAT scores...what do you all think? anyone who scored a 30 ACT score bad meaning low 20's or less on MCAT?

ACT can be taken several times and most people improve gradually or stay the same and most colleges don't care if ACT is taken a lot of times....What about MCAT-can it be taken many times and do most people improve as they grow accustomed to the test?

Members don't see this ad.

i didnt think ACT/SAT scores correlated with anything in the world, let alone MCAT scores. i got a 30 on the ACT, i take the MCAT tomorrow so ill let you know in a month how i do

Members don't see this ad :)
The MCAT relies more on specific knowledge than does the ACT/SAT.

That being said, the questions are worded in similar ways and the testers use similar tactics in constructing the test.

You wont see a lot of idiots who score well on the ACT.
You wont see a lot of idiots who score well on the MCAT.

Well I got a 31 on the ACT so here's to hoping that there is :luck:

Yeah I hope there are :hardy: and :zip: and :spam:.

i didnt think ACT/SAT scores correlated with anything in the world, let alone MCAT scores. i got a 30 on the ACT, i take the MCAT tomorrow so ill let you know in a month how i do
All the standardized tests correlate with each other. ACT correlates to SAT correlates to MCAT correlates to USMLE... Probably just because people who are good at taking standardized tests show their ability to do so. Gotta remember correlations are trends and not absolutes though :p

Also, the SAT/ACT show a correlation with college GPAs, and supposedly the MCAT correlates with "success" in med school.

26-27 act and 37 mcat. I dont remember if that was considered a decent act score but i dont think it was. The trouble is that most people do not put any effort into hs standardized tests, but may prep for the mcat.

26-27 act and 37 mcat. I dont remember if that was considered a decent act score but i dont think it was. The trouble is that most people do not put any effort into hs standardized tests, but may prep for the mcat.

Thats pretty awesome goldtop. I got a 31 ACT and 31 MCAT. Is there any correlation? Probably not much.. I mean.. I would imagine you wouldn't see someone with a 17 on their ACT getting a 39 on the MCAT, but I think that they're not very much correlated. I have to admit though, I didn't prep much for the MCAT (I was suffering from anal glaucoma :thumbdown:).

EDIT: Anal Glaucoma: my eyes couldn't see my a$$ studying for the MCAT..

DOUBLE EDIT: I'm sorry, the anal glaucoma thing wasn't that funny.

31 ACT 37 MCAT

In this thread, I bet you'll see a lot of people with 'lower' ACT scores who stepped it up on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
yay you people are making me happy, at least the people with similar ACT/MCAT scores, because then your making me believe that I can actually do well:) thank u

and best of luck to everyone taking MCAT tomorrow!

31 ACT 37 MCAT

In this thread, I bet you'll see a lot of people with 'lower' ACT scores who stepped it up on the MCAT.
There also happens to be a higher ceiling on the MCAT and a lot more incentive to study. I gained six points on the MCAT, from a 29 on the ACT to a 35Q.

I don't think you can compare the two.

32 ACT and 27 MCAT (the first time), so there wasn't a correlation for me (unless this second MCAT pans out well).

31 ACT 33 MCAT

(31 Math 31 English 29 Verbal 34 Reading) and (12 PS 10 VR 11 BS)

whats the highest you can make on the ACT??? I never took it, we only have to take the sat here.

31 apiece, taken 22 years apart!:p

Well.. The act is only out of 36 and the mcat is out of 45.. So first off, I don't think you can compare one scale to another. And secondly, no there is most likely no correlation.

Well.. The act is only out of 36 and the mcat is out of 45.. So first off, I don't think you can compare one scale to another. And secondly, no there is most likely no correlation.

Well, they are both supposed to correlate with education and intelligence, so they should have some correlation with each other.

But all of these correlation threads are ridiculous. If you can score high on the MCAT, then you likely did well on your college entrance tests, as well as your college exams in general. Can we just end it there?

Reactions: 1 user
well it would be neat if they had a prediction system based on logics/past students/test-format similarities because I did pretty good on the ACT-30, and am really nervous thinking what will happen if I bomb the MCAT or score not as high as I did on the ACT....it's just a mix of anxiety, anticipation, and doubts....lol now isn't that something new from a premed student?

and the ACT is out of 36 with 4 subsections: English, Math, Reading, and Science

I also think the ACT is made by the same people that make the MCAT?? Both are in Iowa City, Iowa?

and the correlations are interesting too:)

well it would be neat if they had a prediction system based on logics/past students/test-format similarities because I did pretty good on the ACT-30, and am really nervous thinking what will happen if I bomb the MCAT or score not as high as I did on the ACT....it's just a mix of anxiety, anticipation, and doubts....lol now isn't that something new from a premed student?

and the ACT is out of 36 with 4 subsections: English, Math, Reading, and Science

I also think the ACT is made by the same people that make the MCAT?? Both are in Iowa City, Iowa?

and the correlations are interesting too:)

I'm pretty sure they are not made by the same company.

I dont think there's too much of a correlation.
But, if someone scores super high on ACT, there's a good chance that he will do well on MCAT.

In my case,
SAT: 1510
ACT: 34
MCAT:pS12,VR10,BS12Q
DAT:AA23,TS23,PA22

DAT correlates more

I didn't do that great on the ACT. 27 or something. Didn't take it again cause I really didn't care. Cared about the MCAT, got a 35.

I don't think there is much of relation becuase the MCAT has alot more science that the ACT.
2.gif

Even if it is from last may. I got a 29 on my ACT and a 36 on my MCAT. I studied for the MCAT and didnt study for the ACT.

26 ACT
34 MCAT

I definitely approached the two tests differently. I distinctly remember 'resting my eyes' for a little while while taking the ACT. Not so much in the MCAT.

Yeah this is old but it sounds like a fun topic. So:

I think there would be some correlation. But there are some things that could foul that up:
- Different type of test

- Different peer group. ACT/SAT is competition among high school students applying to college. MCAT is a smaller, probably smarter pool that has gone through college and is applying to med school. Thus your ACT percentile might be higher than your MCAT percentile.

- High school students are less likely to prepare for the ACT while MCAT takes study quite a bit. Though this seems like it would make it a wash.

My ACT percentile was about one point higher than my MCAT percentile.

SAT 1520
MCAT 34

But eh, I don't know whether they correlate all that much. If you study long enough for the MCATs you can probably end up with a decent score but this is not the case with the SATs where there seems to be a much more defined ceiling past which no amount of studying helps.

SAT 1300 (4 years ago)
MCAT 38Q (Last year)

Studying helps :laugh:

Same here. I did really bad on ACT Science but ended up with very good scores on MCAT sciences. But then I didn't study at all for ACT.:smuggrin:

Same here. I did really bad on ACT Science but ended up with very good scores on MCAT sciences. But then I didn't study at all for ACT.:smuggrin:

ACT science isn't really science haha. I specifically remember getting random ACT passages on like geology and space stuff. The ACT science just tested your deduction skills applied to answering questions based on generic passages. No much of a correlation with MCAT sciences.

ACT science isn't really science haha. I specifically remember getting random ACT passages on like geology and space stuff. The ACT science just tested your deduction skills applied to answering questions based on generic passages. No much of a correlation with MCAT sciences.

Yeah, I really didn't like the ACT either. Liked SAT better.

I didn't give a **** in highschool. Lol I think I got 24 or something like that on the ACT. I graduated with over 51 absences in the last semester of hight school.

24 ACT
37 MCAT

I didn't give a **** in highschool. Lol I think I got 24 or something like that on the ACT. I graduated with over 51 absences in the last semester of hight school.

24 ACT
37 MCAT

Excellent.:thumbup:

For all you stat nuts out there...

r^2=.000001 for MCAT/ACT correlation :D

ACT 32
Science 36
Reading 35
English 25
Math 31

MCAT 33
PS 10
VR 11
Writing O
BS 12

Correlation, you be the judge.
Maybe between the english and writing....

hmmm

ACT 34/46 ~99.9% (100 on Wikipedia lol)
MCAT 36/45 95-6%

If someone wants to actually think about the different types of and number of students that take each exam and do some sort of statistical analysis, then i am sure you will find some sort of vague correlation.

But in my opinion, this thread is a waste of time.