Acting internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CodeRedDew

Thirst Quencher
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What actually defines an acting internship? At my school, we're required to do a 4 week AI, but I was just wondering if an away rotation on VSAS doesn't explicitly state "acting internship" - how would we find out if it could meet the requirements for one?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to contact your school re: whether they accept away rotations as AIs. Typically, it is expected that you do your AI at home, and aways count toward electives not AI regardless of what's in their description.

If the point of doing aways is to impress the programs and you're confident in your ability to do so, choose aways described as AIs, as they will provide a better opportinity to present yourself as a future resident. However, I'm not sure your school will accept them toward AI requirement.

Yep talk to your school. Our graduation-requirement AI has to be done at our institution.

AI = you are treated like an intern to the fullest extent allowable. At my institution we carry the same # of patients as the interns, we get paged about our patients, we take call, we cover for the interns who go to clinic...the only thing that's unlike the interns is that we have to get our orders co-signed before they go through.