ACUs? etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masteropuppets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, does anyone know how to get the ACUs. I cannot find them in the exchange catalog or online?

Anyone else starting residency at WRAMC on June 11th? Have you gotten your orders yet?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

masteropuppets said:
Hey all, does anyone know how to get the ACUs. I cannot find them in the exchange catalog or online?

Anyone else starting residency at WRAMC on June 11th? Have you gotten your orders yet?

Thanks

Try Ranger Joe's at www.rangerjoes.com. They're pricier than through AAFES, but they actually have them in stock.

Members don't see this ad :)
masteropuppets said:

Thanks

if you already have BDU's, don't rush out to get the ACU's. the official date we have to be switched over at WRAMC is somewhere around next fall (or later). WRAMC is still 60-70% BDU's, maybe 50/50 in some parts of the hospital.

this is off the top of my head-- if i find the exact dates for WRAMC i'll let you know.

--your friendly neighborhood ACU purchasing procrastinating caveman

Homunculus said:
black beret.

--your friendly neighborhood beret sporting caveman

Did the garrison cap go away completely? I have seen the class A with the beret and it looks quite silly. Personally, I miss the bus-driver hat.

For my unit, the field cap is for motor pool use and in the field. Since you are going to WRAMC- you will not have a motor pool and will not be going to the field. The ACU's are available at every Clothing and sales now. My local clothing and sales has them and get new shipments every week, the problem is that my size sells out in a day. They are starting to stay on the shelf longer, so hopefully- I will be able to buy some before I start residency this summer. I recommend buying them from Clothing and sales at an army post not at Ranger Joe's or US Cavalry. You can use those catalogs to buy some cool additions to you CIF/TA50 stuff.

If you have not gotten orders for your residency- call the branch manager ASAP (if you do not know who your branch manager is- call the GME office). I got mine last month. There is not that much time- especially if you want to make sure you get your household goods moved in time. Even though I PCS to residency in 23 May- things are already set up for me to leave- movers, housing, CIF, etc. Also it will take me 10 days to clear my current post.

I received an Army GME message from LTC Buising (as I'm sure everyone in Army HPSP did), and the message said to expect orders in early April.

Are you AF/Navy HPSP? MAybe that's why your orders came in quick. The Army takes FOREVER.

I'm anxious to move and begin my internship, but scared that everyone will realize that I don't know $*it

Thanks for the tips on unis

masteropuppets said:
I received an Army GME message from LTC Buising (as I'm sure everyone in Army HPSP did), and the message said to expect orders in early April.

Are you AF/Navy HPSP? MAybe that's why your orders came in quick. The Army takes FOREVER.

I'm anxious to move and begin my internship, but scared that everyone will realize that I don't know $*it

Thanks for the tips on unis

I am in the Army. I am a GMO/ Brigade Surgeon who is going back to GME after spending 2 years in the operational army. Maybe my orders came early because even though I have to do so much of my 1st year over after changing specialties(it will be like being an intern again, only I will be a CPT that is close to pinning on MAJ), I am technically a 2nd year resident. Also- I demanded that my Branch manager get those out to me ASAP (some people that were leaving after me already had their orders).

Let me say something else to you to help you put your mind at ease- you know more than you think and everyone is going to be in the same boat. You will learn what you need you as you go through your first year. You will have to take step 3 in your intern year - so study for that (I am lucky in that I already passed it).

Right now as a 4th year- you should be shamming and having fun. You sill never get the opportunity to sham so much again in your life. Go out, Party, booze it up, go on a trip- what ever. Personally- I recommend that you not even read until the first day of internship- you will be reading the rest of your professional career.

HooahDOc said:
I'm curious to know how you ended up as a GMO in the Army.

In my case it is really simple. During my intern year, I decided that I did not want to go down the road I was headed- I did not really want to be a surgeon. So instead of going on, I decided to become a GMO and finish my service obligation, then go on to what ever I could find. After being in the operational medicine side of things for 2 years, I have decided to finish residency in another field then continue with operational medicine. IT happens to people sometimes if they switch specialties. Although now it is much less often done.

hosskp1 said:
I am in the Army. I am a GMO/ Brigade Surgeon who is going back to GME after spending 2 years in the operational army. Maybe my orders came early because even though I have to do so much of my 1st year over after changing specialties(it will be like being an intern again, only I will be a CPT that is close to pinning on MAJ), I am technically a 2nd year resident. Also- I demanded that my Branch manager get those out to me ASAP (some people that were leaving after me already had their orders).

Let me say something else to you to help you put your mind at ease- you know more than you think and everyone is going to be in the same boat. You will learn what you need you as you go through your first year. You will have to take step 3 in your intern year - so study for that (I am lucky in that I already passed it).

Right now as a 4th year- you should be shamming and having fun. You sill never get the opportunity to sham so much again in your life. Go out, Party, booze it up, go on a trip- what ever. Personally- I recommend that you not even read until the first day of internship- you will be reading the rest of your professional career.

Thanks for the advice...well taken. I have been up to no good (at least not much studying). Two more months of relaxation before all hell breaks loose...at least its only for seven years :laugh:

HAs anyone else gotten their ACU's? I got 4 pairs recently and with boots I spent over 400 dollars. I really like how they feel- definitely more comfortable.
My original plan was to wear my BDU's until the wear out date, but the Brigade commander, XO, and CSM started wearing ACU's exclusively. The Brigade staff went out and got their ACU's and after a while everyone was wearing ACU's. Now very few people are wearing the BDU's. IF you are still wearing BDU's you do feel like you need to go to clothing and sales and come on board.
I have not been in a MEDCEN in 2 years, but I am going back to residency this summer- are people still wearing BDU's in the MEDCENS or have switched over the the AUC's ? At this point, I think it is a necessity to get the ACU's ASAP so that you feel like you belong in the Army.

hosskp1 said:
HAs anyone else gotten their ACU's? I got 4 pairs recently and with boots I spent over 400 dollars. I really like how they feel- definitely more comfortable.
My original plan was to wear my BDU's until the wear out date, but the Brigade commander, XO, and CSM started wearing ACU's exclusively. The Brigade staff went out and got their ACU's and after a while everyone was wearing ACU's. Now very few people are wearing the BDU's. IF you are still wearing BDU's you do feel like you need to go to clothing and sales and come on board.
I have not been in a MEDCEN in 2 years, but I am going back to residency this summer- are people still wearing BDU's in the MEDCENS or have switched over the the AUC's ? At this point, I think it is a necessity to get the ACU's ASAP so that you feel like you belong in the Army.

walter reed is still about 50/50.

--your friendly neighborhood will be getting his ACU's before *too* long caveman