MD & DO AD officer, low gpa, avg MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bommer1389

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the posting, but I have been following a lot of threads the last couple months and it's been great seeing all the constructive feedback. I have been very intimidated in the past to contribute anything (you'll see why with my stats), but seeing the recent positive threads regarding military members applying have been encouraging to me. So any help here would be great!

Pros:
Non-traditional (I think?) Graduated high school in '08, but continued playing my sport hoping to get a scholarship before attending undergrad. One of the Academies offered me an appointment as a D1 recruit. I started undergrad fall '10, lettered all 4 years in my sport (including team captain senior year) and graduated in spring '14. I majored in Biology, and did all the leadership/mentorship that most Academy students accomplish in their Academy careers.

Cons:
3.13 cGPA, still low even considering it's an Academy.

MCAT 2x during spring/summer '13(both low-mid 20's, better 2nd time). I had already submitted my AMCAS when I got the 2nd score. I chose not to continue with secondaries for several reasons.

I know my stats are low, but I never gave up the dream (maybe it's a fantasy) and studied as hard as I could for someone working full-time active duty and got a 507 on the June MCAT. I have since applied (mostly low-mid tiers, 2-3 reaches for sure, some DO as well) and filled out a few secondaries.

I think it's safe to say my EC's overall are my strongest point. Please feel free to help me with any advice, and I'd be happy to explain anything further.

Members don't see this ad.

MD is unlikely, IMHO. I think vets that serve in combat/non-academy roles get the bigger boost that you're looking for. I'm on the fence about 3 MCATs, but a 507 is solid, in the 29-30 range; I feel like DO is possible. @Goro is the expert on that though.

Are you URM by any chance and what's your sGPA?

I can't sugar coat this: I'm not impressed by the "professional athlete" status of your service academy tenure. If you have some real military service, that would be different entirely. But I trust hat you're staying in the service?

So I think that MD schools will be a hard sell, but applying broadly to DO schools might yield some success. Skip KCUMB and other schools that have the 3.25 minimum.

MD is unlikely, IMHO. I think vets that serve in combat/non-academy roles get the bigger boost that you're looking for. I'm on the fence about 3 MCATs, but a 507 is solid, in the 29-30 range; I feel like DO is possible. @Goro is the expert on that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools you should receive some interviews. Concentrate on the newer schools such as:
ACOM
BCOM
UP-KYCOM
CUSOM
MU-COM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)

I can't sugar coat this: I'm not impressed by the "professional athlete" status of your service academy tenure. If you have some real military service, that would be different entirely. But I trust hat you're staying in the service?

So I think that MD schools will be a hard sell, but applying broadly to DO schools might yield some success. Skip KCUMB and other schools that have the 3.25 minimum.
Yes I plan on staying in the service as I will have a full tuition scholarship from the military. I will have only served 2 "real" years of active service by next fall, but I hope to have the opportunity for future deployments (as a physician if that works out for me). I understand what you mean by "professional athlete" status as that was a huge time constraint year round, but isn't that a positive considering I was doing a pre-med major as well as various military responsibilities for four years. It wasn't like I dipped and ducked my way through the place as an athlete. That 3.13 was still top third of my class of over 1,000. I appreciate your insight though, and Thanks for the reply!

I am not URM, and I'm not exactly sure how to find my sGPA. However, I can say that my GPA improved every semester after Digging myself a 2.9 hole freshmen year. The first time I applied I thought sGPA was automatically calculated for us, but I don't remember seeing that calculation this time around.

College athletes are still expected to excel in coursework, just like any pre-med. Sure, the average pre-med is playing ball, but they are volunteering, shadowing and doing research instead.

Your #1 school on the list should be USUHS.

A 3.13 is well <10th%ile for MD matriculants. The median is 3.7. However, now that you're in active service, that will help.

Yes I plan on staying in the service as I will have a full tuition scholarship from the military. I will have only served 2 "real" years of active service by next fall, but I hope to have the opportunity for future deployments (as a physician if that works out for me). I understand what you mean by "professional athlete" status as that was a huge time constraint year round, but isn't that a positive considering I was doing a pre-med major as well as various military responsibilities for four years. It wasn't like I dipped and ducked my way through the place as an athlete. That 3.13 was still top third of my class of over 1,000. I appreciate your insight though, and Thanks for the reply!

College athletes are still expected to excel in coursework, just like any pre-med. Sure, the average pre-med is playing ball, but they are volunteering, shadowing and doing research instead.

Your #1 school on the list should be USUHS.

A 3.13 is well <10th%ile for MD matriculants. The median is 3.7. However, now that you're in active service, that will help.
It's definitely one of my top choices (for anybody that wants to serve, it's a tough deal to pass up on) Along with my in-state schools (not CA or TX, but there are plenty) as well as the state I'm currently serving in (again, a lot).

I also fear I'm coming off like a dumb jock; someone who didn't also gain the experience that traditional pre-meds do. I have close to 200 hrs shadowing, close to another 100 volunteering, and my current assignment involves helping with ongoing research projects in a science office. But I just also happened to spend all my free time (often not free at all) playing a sport.

Thanks everyone for your help!

I do not know USUHS's attitude toward current service members, but I have to point out that your GPA is < their 10th %ile.

It's definitely one of my top choices (for anybody that wants to serve, it's a tough deal to pass up on) Along with my in-state schools (not CA or TX, but there are plenty) as well as the state I'm currently serving in (again, a lot).

I also fear I'm coming off like a dumb jock; someone who didn't also gain the experience that traditional pre-meds do. I have close to 200 hrs shadowing, close to another 100 volunteering, and my current assignment involves helping with ongoing research projects in a science office. But I just also happened to spend all my free time (often not free at all) playing a sport.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Finally verified! Good thing I pre-wrote secondaries for the last month!

Looks like AMCAS gave me a little more credit than I thought: 3.18 cGPA (upward from 2.9) and 3.13 sGPA (upward trend from 2.8 freshmen year)

Not holding my breath, certainly for MD schools....but hopeful that applying broadly will pay off!

Tl;dr- need advice on how to withdraw from waitlists due to military deadline.

Hello everyone! I find myself in a less than stellar position after not having much luck this cycle.
two interviews--two WL's
Now I'm trying to navigate the way forward without completely crushing any future chances of an acceptance. I'm pretty confident I won't be pulled off either waitlist in time to meet my deadline to be released from active duty (less than 30 days away). Most schools probably won't address waitlists until at least end of April. Do you suggest I contact these two schools and inform them that I am still very interested in attending their schools, but now I am obligated to withdraw considering my military deadline? I've heard withdrawing can have negative impacts in the future, just want to make sure these schools know I am still very interested.

I plan to retake some classes or maybe do a masters at a local university (something I should've done prior to applying this cycle; wish I found SDN a little earlier last summer). Anyways, thanks in advance!

I'd write an update letter. Couldn't hurt. Dont withdraw yet. If they pull you from the waitlist late, ask for a deferral. What schools are you waiting on?

Sent from my XT1030 using SDN mobile
Isn't it quite difficult/impossible to get a deferral from the WL at most med schools? Hard not to think they'd just move on to the next person on the list.
I've already sent in a letter to both schools to update them. One is Wayne State, the other is Marian U. From Marian's thread, they don't even meet to discuss the WL until mid-April with offers in early May. And I'm assuming Wayne uses april 30th as their WL date. I don't want to take the chance on a deferral and get blackballed in the future. Would military service be a legit reason for deferral anyways? So many questions :/

That would be ideal if they granted the deferment, but do you know of active duty members being granted deferment because they can't be released? Something about medical school admissions leaves me skeptical...

That would be ideal if they granted the deferment, but do you know of active duty members being granted deferment because they can't be released? Something about medical school admissions leaves me skeptical...
It definitely depends on the school but as HopefulPilot pointed out this is the situation I am in and the school is willing to defer.

It definitely depends on the school but as HopefulPilot pointed out this is the situation I am in and the school is willing to defer.

Turns out I got the MD acceptance and the subsequent deferral granted!

Guess they were willing to overlook some of the academics in favor of life experiences. I feel so lucky and blessed!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats man! It pays to play to your strengths and not compare yourself to others.

Reactions: 1 user