Adderall to do it all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He clearly doesn't mean that his opinions prove his integrity. But rather that the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs in general threaten the integrity of either the profession at large - as old habits die hard and premeds who abuse drugs become medical students who abuse drugs - or of the student amalgamate all lumped under "pre-med." The same way one might question the integrity of an athlete affiliated with Lance Armstrong independent of the actions of the athlete him/herself.

Just because you think they're idiots doesn't change the concern that these abusers may become your colleagues, nor the ethical concerns of drug abuse as a user's actions don't simply effect the user.

Obviously he and 6 pages worth of other people care; this thread as evidence. If the epitome of your argument is why care about a clearly ethical decision to abuse drugs, thus perpetuating a stigma for those who actually need medication and tarnishing the integrity of both student and professional bodies then I think you missed the crux of the whole opposition.
Yeah 6 pages of premed soapbox standing means a whole bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

You asked who cared. Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer.
Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. Sorry you missed that. In all honesty, it's not your business. If they have a prescription to take it, they can take it. It's not up to you to decide who is faking and who is not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. Sorry you missed that. In all honesty, it's not your business. If they have a prescription to take it, they can take it. It's not up to you to decide who is faking and who is not.
So rather than admit that the real medical condition is overdiagnosed, especially to people who are faking, resulting in fakers receiving prescriptions. You'd rather that as long as they have a note from the doc it's a free hall pass to act unethically? I'm not talking about the people who need the drug to get by on a regular basis. Nor did I ever suggest that I'm the arbiter of what constitutes "need." But I would consider the following an abuse - that is, not the recommended, nor intended use of the drug:

Going to a doctor with falsified concerns of a deficit in attention in an effort to get a prescription with no intention of using it on a regular basis to treat ADD or ADHD, but rather to use it explicitly for enhancing one's ability to study or perform. It would be difficult to prove this intent, but hiding behind the weak justification of "oh, well they have a prescription now, so it's okay" ignores the deontological question of is drug abuse inherently bad? This is true with all prescribed drugs, not just adderall. It would be foolish to think that all doctors are compitent at their job (though the overwhelming majority certainly are) and even more foolish to think that all patients have good, truthful intentions.

Chiefly, my concern lies with those who abuse without prescription. Certainly someone could, as the OP puts it, "[flock] to local shrinks seeking Adderall" and that may be a more kosher way of obtaining it. But there are plenty who will buy it illegally all the same. It's worse if they then lie about having a prescription.

One day I may very well be in a position to decide who is and who is not faking. In the mean time I am entitled to my opinion however foolish, uninformed, or misguided. In all honesty; it's not your business to tell others whether they are allowed to think critically about ethical decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Going to a doctor with falsified concerns of a deficit in attention in an effort to get a prescription with no intention of using it on a regular basis to treat ADD or ADHD, but rather to use it explicitly for enhancing one's ability to study or perform. It would be difficult to prove this intent, but hiding behind the weak justification of "oh, well they have a prescription now, so it's okay" ignores the deontological question of is drug abuse inherently bad? This is true with all prescribed drugs, not just adderall. It would be foolish to think that all doctors are compitent at their job (though the overwhelming majority certainly are) and even more foolish to think that all patients have good, truthful intentions.

Chiefly, my concern lies with those who abuse without prescription. Certainly someone could, as the OP puts it, "[flock] to local shrinks seeking Adderall" and that may be a more kosher way of obtaining it. But there are plenty who will buy it illegally all the same. It's worse if they then lie about having a prescription.

One day I may very well be in a position to decide who is and who is not faking. In the mean time I am entitled to my opinion however foolish, uninformed, or misguided. In all honesty; it's not your business to tell others whether they are allowed to think critically about ethical decisions.
Fine, if they swallow the pill everyday then you're ok with it?

You're right. I shouldn't be expecting that out of you.

Fine, if they swallow the pill everyday then you're ok with it?

You're right. I shouldn't be expecting that out of you.
Going to a doctor with falsified concerns of a deficit in attention in an effort to get a prescription with no intention of using it on a regular basis to treat ADD or ADHD.
I guess I was expecting too much of you as well, the sentence is in plain english.

I'll translate for you: I no like-y when people lie to doctor to get drugs.

Regular basis or regular schedule =/= every day some people take off weekends, some take off summer. Most who use it appropriately have a regimen. If your regimen is to take it only for the 4 days prior to finals weeks and that summer you studied for the MCAT, color me skeptical.

I would also like to point out that I explicitly used the modifier "to treat ADD or ADHD". I didn't say use it on a regular basis or to treat... you can't just ignore the gosh dang parts of the sentence you don't like - it wreaks of libel.

I swear you're just looking for a bone to pick - if you really have any interest in the thread provide some useful perspective instead of calling out other members about their views which is all you've been doing for the past 2 pages.

inb4youcriticizethispostwithoutaddinganycontent

Reactions: 1 users
I swear you're just looking for a bone to pick - if you really have any interest in the thread provide some useful perspective instead of calling out other members about their views which is all you've been doing for the past 2 pages.

inb4youcriticizethispostwithoutaddinganycontent

isn't it obvious why? dermvisor has a questionable ADHD prescription which helped him to the top in med school. That's where his attitude comes from.

I'll translate for you: I no like-y when people lie to doctor to get drugs.

Regular basis or regular schedule =/= every day some people take off weekends, some take off summer. Most who use it appropriately have a regimen. If your regimen is to take it only for the 4 days prior to finals weeks and that summer you studied for the MCAT, color me skeptical.

^This. One of my biggest regrets/frustrations is that right after I got diagnosed, I told one of my best friends about the diagnosis and evaluation process. Getting diagnosed was honestly a huge revelation for me: it explained a lot of the challenges/discrepancies in academic/home/social settings I'd experienced since childhood, and I confided in my friend because it was such a big deal to me. What did said [asymptomatic] friend do with this information? Promptly made an appointment with a different psychologist who did not conduct thorough assessments and lied/purposefully played up symptoms through a 15 minute interview. Result? Friend got meds (at a way higher dosage than mine!) and then wanted to be all like "hey, look, we're medication buddies, isn't that cool?" No, no it's really not.

I can't decide who's worse, the malingering patients or the irresponsible doctors who barely do any testing and pass out prescriptions like candy.

Reactions: 1 users