ADEA Application - how long did it take you guys to finish apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 8586

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im taking my DAT June 8. I wanted to apply pretty much within a week after that. Is this fully possible? How long did it take you guys to fully research schools to apply to and complete your applications?

Also, I remember having filled in a lot of my app probably over a year ago without applying. Can I still access this or does it reset because that was a previous year's app or something? If I can still access it - how? I don't see it anywhere when I login

Members don't see this ad.

I realize you're busy studying, but if you can sneak in some time, you should be researching your schools now. Same for your personal statement. It took me only a couple of hours to compelete it, but I had everything ready and organized. However, I didn't submit for a few days. I went over it many times to make sure I crossed my T's and dotted my I's. My transcripts weren't at AADSAS yet so I saw no rush to get the 'first to submit award'.

You could easily start it and possibly complete and submit the whole thing before your DAT. But this early, I'd use the time to be studying.

The re-applicant function was added to AADSAS last cycle. If you're referring to a cycle previous to that, your information will not be there. Even if it were last cycle, your application had to have been submitted to take advantage of that function.

Edit: I thought of something. You might want to create your account and get your biographical information and schools entered within the first week of the cycle and get your matching form(s) to your school registrar(s) (you don't need classes entered yet). Depending on the efficiency of your registrar and geogaphical proximity to the AADSAS receiving office, it could take some time for your transcripts to arrive.

Last edited:
If you have your information laid out before hand you can get it all down the same day. Honestly, I started june 1st and submitted it june 3rd.

I than took the dat june 9th. It all worked out perfectly cause i was still in the first groups.

Members don't see this ad :)
I realize you're busy studying, but if you can sneak in some time, you should be researching your schools now. Same for your personal statement. It took me only a couple of hours to compelete it, but I had everything ready and organized. However, I didn't submit for a few days. I went over it many times to make sure I crossed my T's and dotted my I's. My transcripts weren't at AADSAS yet so I saw no rush to get the 'first to submit award'.

You could easily start it and possibly complete and submit the whole thing before your DAT. But this early, I'd use the time to be studying.

The re-applicant function was added to AADSAS last cycle. If you're referring to a cycle previous to that, your information will not be there. Even if it were last cycle, your application had to have been submitted to take advantage of that function.

Edit: I thought of something. You might want to create your account and get your biographical information and schools entered within the first week of the cycle and get your matching form(s) to your school registrar(s) (you don't need classes entered yet). Depending on the efficiency of your registrar and geogaphical proximity to the AADSAS receiving office, it could take some time for your transcripts to arrive.[/QUOTE]

If you have your information laid out before hand you can get it all down the same day. Honestly, I started june 1st and submitted it june 3rd.

I than took the dat june 9th. It all worked out perfectly cause i was still in the first groups.

as for starting now, i dont think i can do that as im already cramming pretty hard these last 2 weeks so i wanna focus on the DAT...but right after it, ill be going right to the apps....whats the process with the transcripts? what do I have to do? im not familiar with the bolded process you mentioned...if its something that takes time, then maybe thats something id have to jump on before taking my DAT

as for starting now, i dont think i can do that as im already cramming pretty hard these last 2 weeks so i wanna focus on the DAT...but right after it, ill be going right to the apps....whats the process with the transcripts? what do I have to do? im not familiar with the bolded process you mentioned...if its something that takes time, then maybe thats something id have to jump on before taking my DAT

Cram! Just study. I should have warned you that I'm pretty neurotic about all this stuff. Part of the application process involves you entering every school you went to where you received any college credit along with all your classes and grades. AADSAS need to verify all of that information you entered and calculate your GPAs. In order to do this, they need your official transcripts. They can't be transcripts that were issued to you. They have to be official stamped or sealed transcripts directly from your school. To avoid having 12,000 - 20,000 transcripts showing up at AADSAS that they need to manually match up to applicants, there is a form that you print out from the application that you need to give to your registrar. They include this form in the same envelope with your transcripts. It has directions on it for them as well as the address where to send the transcript. There is also a nice barcode that is unique to you. That makes life a little easier for AADSAS. It's not a huge deal, but Letters of Evalations and transcripts are the two important things you have no control over. There are horror stories of lost transcripts or incompetent registrars that hold up your application because they couldn't get the transcripts sent properly. Your application will sit at AADSAS until they have transcripts. But you'll be fine. Ignore any urgency I've caused. Deal with this after your test. You have limited time, so don't worry about it. Transcripts getting there a week later is not going to kill your application, I promise.

Good luck on your test, by the way.

Cram! Just study. I should have warned you that I'm pretty neurotic about all this stuff. Part of the application process involves you entering every school you went to where you received any college credit along with all your classes and grades. AADSAS need to verify all of that information you entered and calculate your GPAs. In order to do this, they need your official transcripts. They can't be transcripts that were issued to you. They have to be official stamped or sealed transcripts directly from your school. To avoid having 12,000 - 20,000 transcripts showing up at AADSAS that they need to manually match up to applicants, there is a form that you print out from the application that you need to give to your registrar. They include this form in the same envelope with your transcripts. It has directions on it for them as well as the address where to send the transcript. There is also a nice barcode that is unique to you. That makes life a little easier for AADSAS. It's not a huge deal, but Letters of Evalations and transcripts are the two important things you have no control over. There are horror stories of lost transcripts or incompetent registrars that hold up your application because they couldn't get the transcripts sent properly. Your application will sit at AADSAS until they have transcripts. But you'll be fine. Ignore any urgency I've caused. Deal with this after your test. You have limited time, so don't worry about it. Transcripts getting there a week later is not going to kill your application, I promise.

Good luck on your test, by the way.

thanks for the explanation! so i should take care of that first day after my test, if not sooner.....im planning on taking the DAT June 8 but delaying a week or so is a possibility...any idea if thatll hurt my "first batch" chances?

Maybe. First batch has usually been 4-5 weeks after the opening of the cycle. They say it can take a coulpe weeks to verify transcripts. Mine took 3 days after my second transcript showed up. So it'll be close. But honestly, even if you're in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...you'll be okay. If you gotta take an extra week to possible boost your AA or TS a point...that's worth being in a later batch. There's a lot of opinion about it. I was dead set on first batch and I was in it, but I'm pretty convinced it's not a huge deal. I would just avoid August.

Maybe. First batch has usually been 4-5 weeks after the opening of the cycle. They say it can take a coulpe weeks to verify transcripts. Mine took 3 days after my second transcript showed up. So it'll be close. But honestly, even if you're in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th...you'll be okay. If you gotta take an extra week to possible boost your AA or TS a point...that's worth being in a later batch. There's a lot of opinion about it. I was dead set on first batch and I was in it, but I'm pretty convinced it's not a huge deal. I would just avoid August.

so taking it june 8 or june 12 or so wouldnt be a huge difference? figure if i take it june 8, ill have my school selections and applications completed by june 15 and if i take it june 12, apps done by june 19...

i just made a thread regarding my last 2 weeks schedule and if ppl think i should delay or not...if you have some input, thatd be great http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=917378

Last edited: