How long does it take to become a certified dental assistant in your area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayacc2

Reaction score
I just had a discussion with an admissions team, and if I recall correctly, they suggested that becoming certified in dental assisting only takes "1-2 months." Is that normal in some states? Maybe I missed something?

I was surprised to hear that because I'm in Michigan, and although you don't legally need certification, obtaining one takes 7-12 months of accredited schooling, costing in the five digits. I have seen some non-accredited schools that go for 2.5 months for ~4k with their own certification, just not ADA recognized.

The demand for Dental Assistants in my local area seems quite competitive, with estimates from Indeed suggesting 50-100 people applying for each job.

Would it be worthwhile to take an out-of-state (OOS) online course? Any ideas or advice anyone can give me to help become certified?

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t need to be a DA to get into dental school. So unless you truly want to be a DA, it’s not a requirement nor an expectation.
I understand. Just something I was hoping to do to make myself more competitive while getting paid.

I understand. Just something I was hoping to do to make myself more competitive while getting paid.
I don't think it necessarily makes you more competitive, but it will help when getting accustomed to clinic. I had zero dentistry related experience other than shadowing and did just fine. But if it's something you really want to do, or are passionate about it, then go for it, but I don't think it's worth adding onto your debt load.