Admin opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med0000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have an opportunity for an admin spot in my department. I have no experience, but a lot of feedback that “you would be good.” I would still practice clinically.

This is for dept of anesthesia hospital employed model.

This is a huge decision that I don’t take lightly. HR issues, hiring, recruiting, conflict resolution, interfacing between dept and hospital…

Has anyone wrestled with this decision? Is a reverse move possible back to 100% clinical if it’s not working out?

Most of me likes being in the trenches and being in the OR then going home, but is there a point in ones career where something new should be tried?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I may have an opportunity for an admin spot in my department. I have no experience, but a lot of feedback that “you would be good.” I would still practice clinically.

This is a huge decision that I don’t take lightly. HR issues, hiring, recruiting, conflict resolution, interfacing between dept and hospital…

Has anyone wrestled with this decision? Is a reverse move possible back to 100% clinical if it’s not working out?

Most of me likes being in the trenches and being in the OR then going home, but is there a point in ones career where something new should be tried?

Thanks

This is the part of my job that I hate. It drives me absolutely crazy hearing CRNAs and docs whining about issues I would never even dream of bringing up. This person wants more money. This person doesnt want to work with this person or do these kinds of cases. This person wants to change or complain about the unfair schedule. It never ends, it makes you hate the people you work around... it makes me want to quit. Your last line is powerful, you like being in the trenches and then going home. Same here - I wouldnt do this admin job. The people who take these admin jobs have been dreaming about an admin job for years...

Reactions: 2 users
As long as you are staying mostly clinical do it. “If you don’t have a seat at the table you’re on the menu.” Our department is on multiple functions within our hospital and it’s saved us from tons of bad decisions. Facetime presence with hospital administrators comes in handy when you need something.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is a “know thyself” situation. You either like being involved in that $hit or you hate it.

Reactions: 1 users

what is the admin position? Head of the department? There are all sorts of different levels of admin responsibilities within a hospital/department and my answer would depend on specifically what you are considering.

What’s in it for you? What you want to avoid is being a yes man for administration. Administration wants to control the money but they don’t know enough about what we do to effectively manage a department. They need a hired gun to represent their interests. If that’s you fine but you need a lot of incentive to join the dark side. Personally the typical $50k/year is not worth it. Again what’s your end game?

Being an employed medical director is more or less being like low-mid level manager at a corporation. You will get crapped on from above and below. If you are an owner in an independent group, it’s totally different. You have complete control of the money and staffing decisions.

Ryan,
I fear this is exactly what it is. Carrying out commands from the hospital and applying them to the department. Yes man. What would it take for you? $100k?
What’s in it for you? What you want to avoid is being a yes man for administration. Administration wants to control the money but they don’t know enough about what we do to effectively manage a department. They need a hired gun to represent their interests. If that’s you fine but you need a lot of incentive to join the dark side. Personally the typical $50k/year is not worth it.

Ryan,
I fear this is exactly what it is. Carrying out commands from the hospital and applying them to the department. Yes man. What would it take for you? $100k?

If you don’t take the position, do you know who it would likely go to? What do you think of that person? Don’t underestimate this. It is why I had a leadership role for awhile.

Reactions: 8 users
Ryan,
Maybe. Money isn’t the only incentive. Like someone else said having a seat at the table has value. Also this could open other doors for if you want to be a professional meeting goer and get out of the call pool.

Just understand your inbox is going to be bombarded with complaints. It gets old quick and making positive change isn’t easy with local hospital politics.

If you don’t take the position, do you know who it would likely go to? What do you think of that person? Don’t underestimate this. It is why I had a leadership role for awhile.
This is 100% right. I’ve been told if someone offers you a position like this, you should take it or they might hire an a$$hole.

Thanks

Be prepared for a lot of headaches and stress, dealing with situations where you actually have little power to change. Hope it pays well.

Thanks
Ride the Admin train!

Get out of patient care as soon as possible.

This happened to me this week at an ASC. Had a "sedation" case - but since no surgeon on the planet apparently knows how to give local, I had to make the patient very deep.

She coughed a little, and some coffee ground fluid (a tiny amount), came out the corner of the mouth. I told the surgeon - sorry I have to lower the bed (patient in lithotomy) and intubate. Nurse, please call for help. I turn around to draw up the sux and get the blade, and the patient throws up an unbelievable amount of coffee colored liquid. Suction suction suction, then look with the blade, I can't see anything. It's like the light wasn't even on....holy cow that dark liquid sucks up the light....anyway, sats are now 45%, the patient looks as grey as I've ever seen - and I think...okay I have to ventilate. I ventilate fine - patient quickly returns to 100%...push the sux, and my help that arrived intubates. After placing the tube, and at the end of the case, patient coughs and tons of coffee looking fluid fills the ET tube. I suck out the tube - and we extubate. The whole time I'm thinking...I hate patients....did she lie to me about NPO?. I'm sure some admin stooge will review the case and call me to discuss and make decisions based on this or that.

All I'm saying is that it would be much better to be the person reading about the case with little data, and making sweeping and changing decisions.. than to be the worried and stressed clinician who is actually dealing with the patient problems.

There really doesn't seem to be much comparison on what is more appealing.

Although to be honest, I hated my admin jobs....and am so glad I'm not doing any of that.

But if you can enjoy it, and avoid patient care...and get paid the same or more....that seems like a golden ticket.

After placing the tube, and at the end of the case, patient coughs and tons of coffee looking fluid fills the ET tube. I suck out the tube - and we extubate.

The patient is filling the tube with aspirate and you extubated???

The patient is filling the tube with aspirate and you extubated???
Can the tube be filled with aspirate if the tube is in place and the balloon is inflated? I am serious.

Can the tube be filled with aspirate if the tube is in place and the balloon is inflated? I am serious.

Well based on the description of events clearly the aspiration event happened before the tube went in. Probably a fair amount of aspiration if this junk is coming back out the tube when patient is coughing. No mention of going down w a fiberoptic or soft suction to suck out the gunk after intubation

This is the part of my job that I hate. It drives me absolutely crazy hearing CRNAs and docs whining about issues I would never even dream of bringing up. This person wants more money. This person doesnt want to work with this person or do these kinds of cases. This person wants to change or complain about the unfair schedule. It never ends, it makes you hate the people you work around... it makes me want to quit. Your last line is powerful, you like being in the trenches and then going home. Same here - I wouldnt do this admin job. The people who take these admin jobs have been dreaming about an admin job for years...

Agreed. Someone’s gotta get the admin work done in private practice, but it’s much more comfortable to be oblivious on the sidelines. The biggest perk of anesthesia is not having deadlines or projects and being able to live life without anything hanging over your head when you’re off.

from the description: the patient aspirated in the middle of the procedure, was intubated, surgery continued, and at end of case patient had large volume aspirate coming out the ETT. That means aspirate was in the trachea for a duration of time and then coming back out. Presumably it was down into some alveoli since they were likely under PPV for a period of time.

Do you like dealing with BS from all angles, nonsensical complaints from everyone, be a mouthpiece for hospital administration because you don't actually have any power, all you then!