Admission Cycles - Applying To Optometry Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undecisiveone1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)
Summary: Can I still apply to optometry schools without taking a gap year (I.e. Fall of 2016)?

I'm about to end my third year of college and I was wondering if it's too late to apply so that I wouldn't have to take a gap year? In other words could I still apply and start optometry in the fall of 2016?

I'm looking at schools around California, a few in Texas and maybe Arizona. I understand UCBerkeley doesn't do rolling admissions so I assume it's too late for me to apply there. What range is considered applying early? Like the first three months after the cycle opens? If I apply "early" for rolling admissions when would I know if I got accepted?

A few side questions: How long does it take for OAT scores to come out and what is the average recommended studying time for it?

One more! Some schools require Psychology, but I already received credit for introductory Psych. Would upper division psychology be acceptable or do I have to take introductory psychology and get no college credit?

Thank you! I know it's super long

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to attend optometry school in Fall 2016, the admissions cycle does not even open until July, I think. You can start applying then! Applying in the summer is considered early. The UCBSO deadline will be this coming December if you want to start school next Fall (2016).

Whoops, didn't see your other questions! Right after you take your OAT, a printed unofficial report will be given to you so you will know your scores right away. I think most people study for about three months, more or less.

As for your psychology class, if you mean that you received AP credit from high school, I was in the same shoes. I emailed SCCO about whether they would take my upper-division psychobiology course and they kindly approved it. As for Berkeley, they accepted my AP credit as long as I showed them that I did receive college credit.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me any further questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply! Do you know if I could start applying to schools with my unofficial oat scores or do I have to wait for the official scores? I'm planning on taking the oat sometime in July and debating whether or not I should take a Kaplan course (since I don't have time to retake the oat unless if it's absolutely necessary).

Yepp, you enter the scores from your unofficial report onto your OptomCAS application. When you apply/register to take the OAT, you will list the optometry schools you want to send your scores to and that is how they will receive your official report. It is nice to be clear on which schools you want to apply to when you register for the OAT because if you want to send your scores to an additional school after you register, it will be an additional fee.

Reactions: 1 user
they accepted my AP credit as long as I showed them that I did receive college credit.
6ik4Ah

Hello :)
Summary: Can I still apply to optometry schools without taking a gap year (I.e. Fall of 2016)?

I'm about to end my third year of college and I was wondering if it's too late to apply so that I wouldn't have to take a gap year? In other words could I still apply and start optometry in the fall of 2016?

I'm looking at schools around California, a few in Texas and maybe Arizona. I understand UCBerkeley doesn't do rolling admissions so I assume it's too late for me to apply there. What range is considered applying early? Like the first three months after the cycle opens? If I apply "early" for rolling admissions when would I know if I got accepted?

A few side questions: How long does it take for OAT scores to come out and what is the average recommended studying time for it?

One more! Some schools require Psychology, but I already received credit for introductory Psych. Would upper division psychology be acceptable or do I have to take introductory psychology and get no college credit?

Thank you! I know it's super long

1. Yes. Applications for Fall 2016 starts July 2015.
2. Early pretty much counts up until November. But the earlier you apply, the earlier you get responses. Optomcas sent my applications to school 3 days (this was 2nd week of August) after I paid and I received interview invitations the next week and I hadn't even submitted my unofficial OAT scores yet. Most schools will notify you of acceptance about a week- 2 weeks after your interview. I recommend you attend your top choice first, if possible, so you won't have to go to other interviews if you have been accepted. If you haven't visited the schools, then please do. I was amazed how the school I considered my dream school, ended up not being the one I chose for various reasons.
3. Everyone has different studying skills. Some people only need a month, some need months. I suggest making a good study schedule and sticking to it. I did the Kaplan online on demand course and it worked out because I could study on my own schedule and then supplemented my studying with OAT Destroyer series books.
4. I'd call or email the schools that you are applying to and find out if they will waive it for you. And it really doesn't hurt to take an upper level psych course. I ended up taking psych stats and fulfilled my statistics requirement while I was at it.