Admission to med school based on race (Asian - Indian) after completing post-bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

racermike1967

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start out by stating that this topic is not meant to discriminate against any races. It would be great to have anyone and everyone respond.

Hey all, I have been looking at admission statistics on the AAMC website and I'm just curious to know about the races represented in the Asian category. Asian includes many countries and the statistics did not help me much. I myself am Indian and just about to finish my undergraduate at SUNY Binghamton in electrical engineering with a 3.25 overall gpa and a 3.4 major gpa.
As of now my plan is to apply to Hunter's post-bac program and then after completion of their requirements, apply to med-school in the new york city and long island area. I have no experience volunteering in hospitals or other medical related experiences but have great interest in learning medicine and helping individuals with medical problems. As a student in my middle school and high school years, I have always been fascinated by biology and chemistry and now that I have finially (after 4 years in engineering) decided to pursue a career as a physician, I am curious as to my chances of acceptance into medical school considering that I am Indian and also planning on completing a post-bac program at hunter. Are there any individuals on the forum who were in my situation and got accepted into medical school? Are there any individuals who went to Hunter's post-bac program and gained acceptance to medical school in NYC?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for Hunter's post-bacc, but I can about the race thing. "Asian" includes Indians. Keep in mind that med school affirmative action only applies to 4 under-represented minority groups: African-Amer, Native Amer, Mexican-Amer, and Mainland Puerto Rican. So being Indian or Asian does not put you at a particular advantage the way it does for other professional schools or employment opportunities because you are a member of a group that is overrepresented in medicine.

racermike1967 said:
As of now my plan is to apply to Hunter's post-bac program and then after completion of their requirements, apply to med-school in the new york city and long island area. I have no experience volunteering in hospitals or other medical related experiences but have great interest in learning medicine and helping individuals with medical problems. As a student in my middle school and high school years, I have always been fascinated by biology and chemistry and now that I have finially (after 4 years in engineering) decided to pursue a career as a physician, I am curious as to my chances of acceptance into medical school considering that I am Indian and also planning on completing a post-bac program at hunter. Are there any individuals on the forum who were in my situation and got accepted into medical school? Are there any individuals who went to Hunter's post-bac program and gained acceptance to medical school in NYC?

Your chances will be considerably improved if you gain clinical experience, and start volunteering in other areas (not necessarily in the hospital). I see slimmer chances without these two things. How can you be sure you want to help sick, vomitting, bleeding people with odorous infections if you haven't been exposed to them?

As for your other questions, I think a search could help you find some of the answers. Many people have done post-baccs and gotten in, many people have gone through Hunter's program and gotten in...you just have to find them. :thumbup:

The best resource for this is MSAR, which lists the ethnicities of every entering med student at every med school in the country. In general, Indians have a harder road to med school, since there are a disproportionate number of them applying, so the pool of applicants is larger, leading to more competition and higher MCAT/gpa numbers (I'm speculating).