Admissions Counselor feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FBurnaby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted my home state (MI) medical schools to gauge if holistically I would be considered a competitive applicant. Two gave generic responses and didn't really answer the question, but two said I had strong experiences that would make me competitive and encourage me to apply. Is this sincere or do many admissions counselors give optimistic feedback regardless of their actual chances?

Before this I was planning on focusing my app finances only on DO because my c/s GPA is a 3.4 and I took the MCAT three times last year: 22,22, and most recently 28 (p9, v9, b10). I think I have good experiences but it's hard to tell how much that really matters considering both stats are below average and not URM. I have many service and volunteer experiences (americorps, soup kitchen, clinical), clinical work (2 years), research assistant + 1 publication (1 year) and 2 independent study research, Leadership positions in college/work/volunteering, shadowing MD/DO, and I was a college athlete.

Should I throw applications to my state Michigan schools or focus on DO? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, you should focus on DO. However I don't see why you can't apply to MI MD schools as well. I would avoid OOS MD schools altogether.

For MD, I don't think that you'll be competitive except for the three new MI schools, and apply broadly to DO schools. Skip those that average MCAT scores, like mine does.

I contacted my home state (MI) medical schools to gauge if holistically I would be considered a competitive applicant. Two gave generic responses and didn't really answer the question, but two said I had strong experiences that would make me competitive and encourage me to apply. Is this sincere or do many admissions counselors give optimistic feedback regardless of their actual chances?

Before this I was planning on focusing my app finances only on DO because my c/s GPA is a 3.4 and I took the MCAT three times last year: 22,22, and most recently 28 (p9, v9, b10). I think I have good experiences but it's hard to tell how much that really matters considering both stats are below average and not URM. I have many service and volunteer experiences (americorps, soup kitchen, clinical), clinical work (2 years), research assistant + 1 publication (1 year) and 2 independent study research, Leadership positions in college/work/volunteering, shadowing MD/DO, and I was a college athlete.

Should I throw applications to my state Michigan schools or focus on DO? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, my other main question is do admissions counselors say this and encourage applicants to apply even though they would almost certainly be eventually rejected? I would love to apply and stay in state but I don't want to waste money that could go to schools I have a real chance at.

Thanks, my other main question is do admissions counselors say this and encourage applicants to apply even though they would almost certainly be eventually rejected? I would love to apply and stay in state but I don't want to waste money that could go to schools I have a real chance at.
There are no MD schools outside of MI that you will have a better chance at. And yes, in my experience, they always encourage people to apply.

Hello i am vinayak looking for MD course in phillipines.i want to know which is the cheap ,best , mci approved university where i take admission . What could be the fee structure, fooding , room rent and visa charge for 5.5 year . And any other charges of university . And how to take admision . I dnt have strong financial support i will be leaned on education loan please suggest me