Adolescent DBT internship sites - competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudianslippin

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Its difficult to say on this forum. I would think that the general competitiveness of a site will be the largest factor in acceptance rather than your DBT experience. For example, Montefiore is in NYC, so it will get a lot of applicants, around 400 each year. They tend to accept more PhDs but not exclusively. They don't seem to be sticklers for report writing. Those are your likely biggest indicators.

But if you are interested in adolescent DBT experience during internship, there are probably not many sites nationwide. So, you might as well apply to any that actually offer it. I also would not set your heart on any one site, that is often likely to lead to heartbreak. I believe only a out half of applicants are placed in their #1 ranked site (I haven't seen the most recent numbers).

More importantly, you should know that if you have a lot of DBT experience and adolescent experience, your internship doesn't have to be DBT focused. If anything, having a variety of experiences will be more valued in your future career. If you already have comprehensive DBT training and teen experience, you may want to get some PTSD treatment training. That will make you more marketable afterwards. Here are some recent DBT job ads, as you can see they are not overly demanding on the amount of DBT experience.

As a DBT therapist within our practice, your primary responsibilities will include: providing standard DBT, facilitating DBT Skills Groups, offering telephone coaching to clients, and leading DBT Consultation Team meetings. All of these areas may involve providing assessments, facilitating treatment and crisis intervention for clientele. Successful candidates will also be responsible for supervising DBT team members and providing community education for stake holders within the child welfare system.

Qualifications and Experience

A minimum of 2 years providing standard DBT to children and adolescents (required).
Experience facilitating DBT Skills Training Groups to adolescents and/or adults)

Firm knowledge of CBT and behavioral principles such as contingency management, chain
analysis, exposure, and cognitive modification.
Previous participation in a DBT consultation team
Excellent written and oral communications skills
Client-centered, team-oriented work style
A minimum of 2 years providing individual and group supervision

Required Education and Licensure
Successful candidates must have received graduate level training in DBT or completed a 10 day intensive training through Behavioral Tech, LLC. In addition, candidates must possess a Master’s level or Doctoral Degree in a mental health related field and be licensed to practice in the State of Maryland.

(Preference will be given to candidates who have received ongoing supervision or consultation implementing standard DBT).
Salary will commensurate with experience.

Position Details

This placement offers a clinician a range of clinical experiences at the COPU, including conducting intake evaluations; providing individual, group, and family therapy to children, adolescents, and families with anxiety, mood, and disruptive behavior disorders; and engaging in case management with schools, psychiatric providers, and outside case managers. Furthermore, the clinician will be involved in the Dialectical Behavior Therapy Program, including carrying a caseload of up to 8 DBT cases, co-leading weekly multi-family DBT skills groups, providing phone coaching, and participating in a weekly consultation team. If the clinician does not have previous experience with DBT, he/she will be trained in providing Dialectical Behavior Therapy to adolescents and their families, and will have the opportunity to participate in a Behavioral Tech foundational training. The position will include the required supervision for licensure, if applicable, and additional supervision in DBT.

Job Requirements:
  • NJ LCSW, or PhD/PsyD in psychology with a temporary permit or license in the state of NJ.
  • Applicants must have interest in conducting CBT and DBT, and it is preferred that they have experience in these areas.

...we are looking to recruit a child psychologist to join our existing team. Our DBT-A team at Bradley Hospital is comprised of 9 team members who participated in the Intensive DBT training in May 2015 or Foundational Trainings. Our team treats adolescents using the full DBT-A model (individual, multifamily skills group, phone coaching and consult team). We also have members who participate both clinically and have initiated research projects. We are looking to expand our team as we are growing our program. If you, or someone you know, might be interested please apply to the email address at the bottom of the job description and/or feel free to contact me...

Reactions: 1 users
You could also focus on adolescent DBT for postdoc, if you don't land exactly what you desire. I'm getting a sense that your intervention hours are on the lower side. I had a friend attend Montefiore's adolescent DBT internship, and I just feel like she had closer to 1000 hours, and a lot of child psych assessment experience...and she had child trauma experience (we were both externs at a child trauma site).

I agree branch out and don't get your heart set on one site. Although, you can certainly model your ideal after one site (to gauge what you want out of training)

Good luck!

Last edited: