Adversity Essay Topic Selection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenspandex

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I was hoping you all can help with an adversity topic so I can bang out my last few secondaries in a week or so. I just dont wanna start writing an essay centered around a bad idea. Anyway I have 2 leads:

1) I had to do a group presentation at an event with my research student mentor during my first year of research. I put off finishing it until the day it was due giving us little time to prepare. Essentially, my mentor became very upset and criticized me for promising to finish it sooner and putting it off to the very end. I sent a long essay the next day detailing my shortcoming (not used to working in group college projects and balancing research vs. school) and listed out strategies to improve. After that, I utilized the strategies which actually helped me perform better on research and work better in groups overall.

Someone told me this was superficial and not real adversity but personally it was humbling to get criticized so harshly. I'm a little worried this one makes me come off as a lazy student even though I will focus on how I improved.

2) When I went away to college, my dad developed an anxiety disorder about my absence and was constantly worried about my safety. He would literally call me 10+ times a day and track my smartphone's location incessantly. If my phone died at any point I would turn it on later to dozens of missed calls from him. The stress of having to always make myself available, and the pressure of feeling watched all the time made it hard for me to feel independent in college. Before we realized it was an irrational mental health issue, I would argue with him a lot and it started to strain my relationship with my father.

I encouraged him to seek help which he initially refused due to stigma about mental health issues. However, i was persistent and he talked to his PCP who gave him meds which helped. We also found ways to compromise and only talk a certain amount of times a day. I also realized its not really his fault he felt this way and started to empathize more with his condition despite the toll it was taking on me. We worked it out and have a stronger relationship now.

I am leaning towards the 2nd one at the moment because it was definitely a harder experience. Any thoughts? Should I go back to the drawing board altogether?

I would appreciate any advise as I am a bit nervous about this topic.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm new here and I was hoping you all can help with an adversity topic so I can bang out my last few secondaries in a week or so. I just dont wanna start writing an essay centered around a bad idea. Anyway I have 2 leads:

1) I had to do a group presentation at an event with my research student mentor during my first year of research. I put off finishing it until the day it was due giving us little time to prepare. Essentially, my mentor became very upset and criticized me for promising to finish it sooner and putting it off to the very end. I sent a long essay the next day detailing my shortcoming (not used to working in group college projects and balancing research vs. school) and listed out strategies to improve. After that, I utilized the strategies which actually helped me perform better on research and work better in groups overall.

Someone told me this was superficial and not real adversity but personally it was humbling to get criticized so harshly. I'm a little worried this one makes me come off as a lazy student even though I will focus on how I improved.

2) When I went away to college, my dad developed an anxiety disorder about my absence and was constantly worried about my safety. He would literally call me 10+ times a day and track my smartphone's location incessantly. If my phone died at any point I would turn it on later to dozens of missed calls from him. The stress of having to always make myself available, and the pressure of feeling watched all the time made it hard for me to feel independent in college. Before we realized it was an irrational mental health issue, I would argue with him a lot and it started to strain my relationship with my father.

I encouraged him to seek help which he initially refused due to stigma about mental health issues. However, i was persistent and he talked to his PCP who gave him meds which helped. We also found ways to compromise and only talk a certain amount of times a day. I also realized its not really his fault he felt this way and started to empathize more with his condition despite the toll it was taking on me. We worked it out and have a stronger relationship now.

I am leaning towards the 2nd one at the moment because it was definitely a harder experience. Any thoughts? Should I go back to the drawing board altogether?

I would appreciate any advise as I am a bit nervous about this topic.
1) I don't view the first as Adversity, but rather a Stress or Challenge you overcame.

2) This is more of an Adversity you overcame, but take care not to make it so much about your dad, and focus on the issue from your own point of view.

1) I don't view the first as Adversity, but rather a Stress or Challenge you overcame.

2) This is more of an Adversity you overcame, but take care not to make it so much about your dad, and focus on the issue from your own point of view.
Agree 100% with the wise Cat.
Personally, I'd like to see people NOT talk about academics, and show me that they have dealt with life situations. It's bad enough that we have people graduating med school and residency will be their first employment ever.

Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely write the second one! And yeah Ill be sure to center the story around my own experiences.

Reactions: 1 user